2018 vs 2016

I was wondering if yours uses the headlight as well as the accents as DRLs

Just the accent.
2016_Mazda_CX-5_front-grille-and-headlights1.jpg

That photo demonstrates just how good looking the 2016.5 was. Still able to give competitors brand new models a run for their money.

I was looking for a 2016.5 but the price differential and the new features of the 2018, it didn't make sense to go with the older used car. I worried about the paint quality as it seems to get chipped and scratched really easy so I got an installer to put a 3M clear bra (full hood, full front fenders and front bumper.

The 2018 GT with the tech package is really nice and quiet except for the engine noise for about one minute after engine start. My neighbor thought it was a Lexus with all the features and quietness. I have no other complaints so far, but I only have 500 km on the car. The red, black, machine grey and dark blue look awesome, but clear coat and paint quality are concerning as they show any little scuff or chip. If you subscribe to Consumers Reports, they will give you the option to get reduced pricing.

Coming from a written off CRV, I looked at all the other vehicles in that size including the CRV, RAV4, RDX, Subaru.... for the cost/features, the Mazda 2018 GT beats all of them hands down.

Just got off the phone with the Collision shop, they are able to repair the CX-5 and Insurance company agreed. 2 doors, front fender, head liner, curtain airbag, passenger front seat and misc minor trim parts. The main obstacle is under the front passenger, the rocker panel is crushed, they will have to cut and weld in a new part. IMO the CX-5 is a great safe vehicle.
Lead time is 3weeks, I have another trip at the end of July really need the CX-5 for, otherwise Enterprise will have to find a bigger vehicle. This trip is with our 2 greyhounds, kid, on my rear hitch I have a cargobox for 80% of our stuff and option roof rack if needed. if anyone is looking for a great way to have extra room this cargo box is the answer.
https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black

Don't know if that is specifically the one but it's that style.

Glad all are OK, that's foremost.

I'm curious if any of the '18 owners can talk about quickness off the line. I know the new one is slightly slower, not sure if that's noticeable. if it is, when? on hills? from a full stop?

thanks

Glad all are OK, that's foremost.

I'm curious if any of the '18 owners can talk about quickness off the line. I know the new one is slightly slower, not sure if that's noticeable. if it is, when? on hills? from a full stop?

thanks

2018 owner here and it's quick enough for me. Haven't needed to use sport mode yet.

That Stowaway looks like a great carrier. Not sure what you paid for it but another cheaper option (assuming you already have a rear flat cargo carrier) is the Wilco Hitchswing.

You can get it from Jegs for cheaper

https://www.jegs.com/i/Tiregate/393/HS32220/10002/-1

and then perhaps ghetto to some you can put on the largest Rubbermaid boxes you can find. This Wilco device is great for bikes too... it really swings out wide.

I have a 2" receiver on my CX-5 so should fit fine. I primarily use this on my GX.

Depending on what you are carrying on swing piece the receiver is still available for towing.

This trip is with our 2 greyhounds, kid, on my rear hitch I have a cargobox for 80% of our stuff and option roof rack if needed. if anyone is looking for a great way to have extra room this cargo box is the answer.
https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black

Last edited:
2018 owner here and it's quick enough for me. Haven't needed to use sport mode yet.
I test drove an 18 when my 16 was getting her wheels put on. It actually felt a little faster of the line. Very subtle, not a huge difference but I felt it.

I test drove an 18 when my 16 was getting her wheels put on. It actually felt a little faster of the line. Very subtle, not a huge difference but I felt it.
I noticed this between 2017 and 2018 with cylinder deactivation

Coarse, you could just download a brochure, watch any of the hundreds of YouTube videos or heaven forbid, go and look at one.

Guess what, the reason I've been staring at the long list of improvements (I mean 2018 vs. 2016) for months and yet haven't taken any action is CD, one of the most debated feature. Some have expressed concerns, but more owners seem quite happy. Paint concerns is another one, again some owners unhappy, but more are having no issues at all. Looks like I will be acting soon based on very positive feedback incl. yours (at least for 2017 model which is very close to 2018 anyway).

Guess what, the reason I've been staring at the long list of improvements (I mean 2018 vs. 2016) for months and yet haven't taken any action is CD, one of the most debated feature. Some have expressed concerns, but more owners seem quite happy. Paint concerns is another one, again some owners unhappy, but more are having no issues at all. Looks like I will be acting soon based on very positive feedback incl. yours (at least for 2017 model which is very close to 2018 anyway).

I’d be very surprised if you were disappointed;-)

Change is a constant these days in the automotive world. It should be reminded to all that the 17 came with improvements to the engine including assymetric pistons and new oil control rings that are bi-directional and total new design. I saw the video with Dave Coleman describing all this but I cannot find it now. The crankshaft is offset as well.

Major changes? It depends on your perspective. Cylinder deactivation can be called major but since Mazda did it, Ford and another brand are doing the same with some of their 4 bangers. So it seems to be a growing attribute in four cylinder engines.

It’s very subjective though. To detect a change between two models with different interiors, suspension, steering etc, noise levels and maybe different accelerator mapping. Just saying.

I was programmed out of subjective in my vehicle testing days. If you walk into the engineering department of any of the vehicle makers armed with subjective opinion, your time there was limited to how long it took to kick you out. Test results were your ticket to stay!

Back