2018 vs 2016

200 miles away from home on a family long weekend trip and our 2016 CX5 GT was t-boned last night. Passenger side front and back airbags deployed, everyone is safe and sound.
b0078c13fa01242142b5814d43c26aa2.jpg
1fbb98a5597514c9465dda41376e9941.jpg

Not sure if it will be totaled or not but now I’m researching the 2018 GT as a replacement.

Can someone chime in about noticeable differences with the 2018? After 3yrs with the 2016 I knew every tiny detail inside and out.

200 miles away from home on a family long weekend trip and our 2016 CX5 GT was t-boned last night. Passenger side front and back airbags deployed, everyone is safe and sound.
b0078c13fa01242142b5814d43c26aa2.jpg
1fbb98a5597514c9465dda41376e9941.jpg

Not sure if it will be totaled or not but now I’m researching the 2018 GT as a replacement.

Can someone chime in about noticeable differences with the 2018? After 3yrs with the 2016 I knew every tiny detail inside and out.
Sorry to hear.

2018 much quieter, Mazda Radar cruise control with stop and go, auto up and down power windows on all 4, cylinder deactivation to name a few

Insurance company is moving from tow company lot on Mon. Same road less than 1mile away. Sometime next week they will get back to me on the status.

Pickup a rental today, drive home tomorrow.

Insurance company is moving from tow company lot on Mon. Same road less than 1mile away. Sometime next week they will get back to me on the status.

Pickup a rental today, drive home tomorrow.

Take your time. Sometimes dealers know that totaled car owners are in a hurry...

Will probably use the same dealer, bought the 2016 in May 2015 via TrueCar then 4 months later spousal unit totaled our 2006 Corolla, same dealer cut us a better deal on a leftover 2015 3 Touring hb not using TrueCar

Last edited:
Its a lot better on every way. Quieter interior, more luxurious interior, I personally think it looks better but thats subjective, the radar adaptive cruise control is amazing. It will slow down automatically if the car in front of you slows down as wellall the way to a complete stop. It also has cylinder deactivation to help with mpg but its not that noticeable. The g vectoring torque control is nice too-when you take turns you have more cofidence and less head roll to the torque adapting to the road

Will probably use the same dealer, bought the 2016 in May 2015 via TrueCar then 4 months later spousal unit totaled our 2006 Corolla, same dealer cut us a better deal on a leftover 2015 3 Touring hb not using TrueCar

Lesson in check,dont use TrueCar,ever...

Not sure if it will be totaled or not but now Im researching the 2018 GT as a replacement.

Glad everybody is safe in the accident.

Many things have been improved from 2016 to 2018 other than the look and added cylinder deactivation. Cylinder deactivation has improved 2018 CX-5 EPA ratings from 0~1 mpg.

Look is personal; but the problematic cylinder deactivation actually was one thing stopped me getting a new 2018 CX-5 earlier this year as I always keep my vehicle as long as I can. Just google "cylinder deactivation" on Honda and GM, and see for yourself.

2017 and up is a nice upgrade from the previous generation. Drivetrain-wise, there are some very MINOR improvements, including torque vectoring, and cylinder deactivation (2018). There were also some throttle mapping changes, and some very minor suspension tweaks. However the 2017 and up are really all about sound deadening and road noise limiting.

Acoustic glass on windshield and front passenger windows
Additional door seals
Seals added in the door gaps for wind noise
Trunk panels and side panels carpeted
Additional sound deadening materials added throughout vehicle

The handy electric rear hatch / liftgate, and nicer interior materials are also hard to miss.

Happy to hear everyone is ok. Hoping that the insurance process goes smoothly for you.

Last edited:
I went from 2016 to 2017 and it was a NIGHT AND DAY difference with it comes to noise. Much quieter on the roadway. The interior is more refined. Better materials, better layout and more high-end looking.

I like the front end more on the 2017+ but I preferred the side profile on the 2016. Between the two, I would take the 2017+, no hesitations.

2018 also has flow control knobs on the center dash vents. A small detail, but useful functionality.
I mention that because my 17 is the first car I've ever owned that didn't have them.

Last edited:
I like a lot about about the '17+... my only gripe is the loss in ground clearance for those that take off the asphalt.

Gen 1 was 8.5 inches (215.9 mm) and Gen 2 is 7.6 inch (193.04 mm)

I like a lot about about the '17+... my only gripe is the loss in ground clearance for those that take off the asphalt.

Gen 1 was 8.5 inches (215.9 mm) and Gen 2 is 7.6 inch (193.04 mm)

Seems like not many are actually doing it hence probably one reason why for the decrease

Seems like not many are actually doing it hence probably one reason why for the decrease

In my part of the country (NW US) you actually see a lot of them off pavement. I'm not talking hardcore off-roading but one occasionally comes upon debris even on forest service roads as you head to trailheads and such.

Back