Rhythmic rubbing noise coming from rear - can anyone help identify? Recording attach

peakbagger

:
2007 Mazda CX-9
We have a 2007 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD with 140K miles. A couple of years ago, we noticed a rubbing noise coming from the rear of the CX-9. We think this started after our transfer case was replaced, but not too sure, but at any rate we didn't do anything at the time.
It seems to have gotten louder recently and so now we're in investigation mode. I've attached a recording of the sound and I'm hoping someone can perhaps identify what it is before we take it in to a shop.

Some observations:
  • I can hear it at most speeds, even slow, like 5 mph.
  • If I am at speed and shift to neutral, I can still hear it.
  • Seems to get louder if we are turning left on a curve at speed, as in on the highway.
  • We can definitely feel vibration under the driver seat, seems to correlate with the grinding sound. Not too sure about passenger.

Thanks for listening!

Attachments

• 2008 Mazda CX-9 - Rubbing noise from rear.mp3
    941.6 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Just as a followup, I'm leaning to this being an issue with the right wheel bearing and not the drive train or transmission. Will post findings.

Rhythmic rubbing noise in the rear end? With grinding and vibration under your seat?

There's a joke there, but I'll save it since you're probably already pissed, dealing with your car. (whistle)

Wheel bearing or CV joint are a good place to start for sure. Have you jacked the car up and spun the wheel? Maybe there's something obviously bent or hanging, or even a spot that's been getting rubbed by the wheel.

Rhythmic rubbing noise in the rear end? With grinding and vibration under your seat?

There's a joke there, but I'll save it since you're probably already pissed, dealing with your car. (whistle)

Wheel bearing or CV joint are a good place to start for sure. Have you jacked the car up and spun the wheel? Maybe there's something obviously bent or hanging, or even a spot that's been getting rubbed by the wheel.

Haha, thanks yea, I wrote that NOT with a straight face :)

So I jacked up each wheel and tried to spin, but none of them spun freely - I guess because it is AWD? Not sure what to expect with that, maybe I'm doing something dumb.

Instead I pushed and pulled to check for some play, all were tight except the driver side rear. So..maybe? Play pretty minor. Next step, I'll get the wifey to drive it and I'll sit in the back and stick my ear on each wheel well.

Also saw something on on alldatadiy.com about a "humming noise from rear wheel bearing". Too bad I don't have access!

Back