AWD...Turning off TCS?

Does anybody know how the AWD function when I turn off the TCS (Traction Control System)? I'm having understeering whenever I'm in the middle of a 180 degree chicane whenever I slightly press on the pedal.

Note: I'm slightly pressing on the pedal to gain a little speed and I'm assuming that it gives more power to the front wheels.

Here's how it goes:

I enter the 180 deg chicane rolling. At 60 deg I'm losing momentum so I tried slightly pressing on the pedal. Is it because it gives more power to the rear wheels in that scenario?

AWD does not necessarily help with understeer unless it has an aggressive torque vectoring setup. Even then you are still limited by your tires. You are understeering because the front tires don't have enough grip to enable your car to turn more. What you need to do is get off the gas to shift the weight forward, thereby giving your front wheels more traction. Lightly tapping the brakes also help shift the weight forward. Most AWD cars drive like FWD cars, except they can send power to the rear wheels. The only exception to these are RWD biased AWD systems, like the one in the Nissan GTR and BMW XDrive. In any case, drive your CX-5 like a FWD car. Trail brake into the corner, complete cornering as fast as you can and get on the gas as early as you can as soon as you can straighten out your car.

If you are tracking your car and want full awd advantage, remove the 50a DSC/ABS fuse. Other wise you will have a hard time going sideways. TCS off is not DSC off. Have to pull fuse to disable dsc.

What mods do you have? Not trying this with a stock cx5 are you lol. You really should invest in a bigger rear sway bar... the oem understeer is bad.

If you are tracking your car and want full awd advantage, remove the 50a DSC/ABS fuse. Other wise you will have a hard time going sideways. TCS off is not DSC off. Have to pull fuse to disable dsc.
Noted. Will look for the fuse.
What mods do you have? Not trying this with a stock cx5 are you lol. You really should invest in a bigger rear sway bar... the oem understeer is bad.
Just starting with my stock CX-5 diesel. Short autocross. Initially just replaced the brake pads with Project Mu OEM. Yeah looking for stabilizers and member braces as well.

rear sway/stabilizer bar is your first defense against understeer aside from different springs/damper

You can disable TCS AND DSC by pressing-and-hold ingthe TCS button for 30seconds. When you begin pressing the button, you will see the TCS-disable light come on....continue holding for 30 seconds...then the TCS light will turn off. This disables DSC.

You have to restart the car if you want TCS and DSC to be re-activated.

No need to pull the fuse.

You can disable TCS AND DSC by pressing-and-hold ingthe TCS button for 30seconds. When you begin pressing the button, you will see the TCS-disable light come on....continue holding for 30 seconds...then the TCS light will turn off. This disables DSC.

You have to restart the car if you want TCS and DSC to be re-activated.

No need to pull the fuse.
I forgot to thank you. I tested this after my trial run on a small circuit and turning it off made a big difference for me in cornering. Without the DSC & TCS, I can push the CX-5 to its limits while maintaining predictability in terms of vehicle reaction. Understeer on quick turns lessened. I got better time run.

I forgot to thank you. I tested this after my trial run on a small circuit and turning it off made a big difference for me in cornering. Without the DSC & TCS, I can push the CX-5 to its limits while maintaining predictability in terms of vehicle reaction. Understeer on quick turns lessened. I got better time run.

:)

Also... dcs is *not* disabled on AWD versions by holding the button... you have to pull the fuse. http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05060201.html. TCS is about wheel speed... DCS is about keeping the car "controlled". If data received indicates an oversteer dsc will trigger. Intensity depends on speed among other things.

I've tested and done this many times since in my 6 years of awd cx5..

This will not work with DSC on (fuse in), I've done it multiple times.

If you want rear action (not braking) try entering at a lower gear (higher rpm).. remember our system is all about power available. If you enter in 5th in 6th gear and add a little throttle you are not making much power for the rear to even use.

Last edited:
TCS button held for 10+ seconds to disable it's function (according to mazda this does not turn off TCS)

As you can see shortly after I release the brake TCS comes on. * I said DSC in the video I meant TCS

This video is just TCS by quickly pushing the button... No TCS kick in.. Actually with tcs off like this you can spin the tires all day if you are on the right surface. I've gone thru 1st and second with some worn tires in the rain before I broke 5 mph.

Last edited:
Also... dcs is *not* disabled on AWD versions by holding the button... you have to pull the fuse. http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05060201.html. TCS is about wheel speed... DCS is about keeping the car "controlled". If data received indicates an oversteer dsc will trigger. Intensity depends on speed among other things.

I've tested and done this many times since in my 6 years of awd cx5..

This will not work with DSC on (fuse in), I've done it multiple times.

If you want rear action (not braking) try entering at a lower gear (higher rpm).. remember our system is all about power available. If you enter in 5th in 6th gear and add a little throttle you are not making much power for the rear to even use.
Really the dcs fuse and i can drift in the snow?

I've been away long enough to not know that Chris has apparently exited the forum this past summer.

I'm not sure on fuse... that being said... find an an empty and really WIDE open parking lot and let us know :)

Back