Thread: Awd

Registered Member

CX5

Awd

Does anybody know how the AWD function when I turn off the TCS (Traction Control System)? I'm having understeering whenever I'm in the middle of a 180 degree chicane whenever I slightly press on the pedal.

Note: I'm slightly pressing on the pedal to gain a little speed and I'm assuming that it gives more power to the front wheels.

Here's how it goes:

I enter the 180 deg chicane rolling. At 60 deg I'm losing momentum so I tried slightly pressing on the pedal. Is it because it gives more power to the rear wheels in that scenario?

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

AWD does not necessarily help with understeer unless it has an aggressive torque vectoring setup. Even then you are still limited by your tires. You are understeering because the front tires don't have enough grip to enable your car to turn more. What you need to do is get off the gas to shift the weight forward, thereby giving your front wheels more traction. Lightly tapping the brakes also help shift the weight forward. Most AWD cars drive like FWD cars, except they can send power to the rear wheels. The only exception to these are RWD biased AWD systems, like the one in the Nissan GTR and BMW XDrive. In any case, drive your CX-5 like a FWD car. Trail brake into the corner, complete cornering as fast as you can and get on the gas as early as you can as soon as you can straighten out your car.

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

There’s some drivvel in the first 10 mins of this but it’s worth a look as Dave explains the effects of AWD on under and oversteer.

https://youtu.be/rPyRCkt1GHw

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

If you are tracking your car and want full awd advantage, remove the 50a DSC/ABS fuse. Other wise you will have a hard time going sideways. TCS off is not DSC off. Have to pull fuse to disable dsc.

CX Moderator

What mods do you have? Not trying this with a stock cx5 are you lol. You really should invest in a bigger rear sway bar... the oem understeer is bad.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    If you are tracking your car and want full awd advantage, remove the 50a DSC/ABS fuse. Other wise you will have a hard time going sideways. TCS off is not DSC off. Have to pull fuse to disable dsc.
    Noted. Will look for the fuse.
    What mods do you have? Not trying this with a stock cx5 are you lol. You really should invest in a bigger rear sway bar... the oem understeer is bad.
    Just starting with my stock CX-5 diesel. Short autocross. Initially just replaced the brake pads with Project Mu OEM. Yeah looking for stabilizers and member braces as well.

CX Moderator

rear sway/stabilizer bar is your first defense against understeer aside from different springs/damper
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD

You can disable TCS AND DSC by pressing-and-hold ingthe TCS button for 30seconds. When you begin pressing the button, you will see the TCS-disable light come on....continue holding for 30 seconds...then the TCS light will turn off. This disables DSC.

You have to restart the car if you want TCS and DSC to be re-activated.

No need to pull the fuse.