2017~2024 First oil change this Saturday

There are smartphone apps you can log all your oil changes and any maintenance into. Most have options to take pictures of the receipts as they fade over time.

This plus a envelope to stash the physical receipts in should cover it for sure.

I keep my maintenance records on the Mazda computer app. The dealer also put his in it. That way you have a record of type of service you & dealer preformed, and a date. That information plus physical receipts is your record. www.mymazda.com I believe is the app. Ed

Forget the apps, just put all your receipts in a folder and file it away. I've done that for my last 4 cars and never had a problem. Don't have to worry about somebody else maintaining the database, dealer forgetting to log it, app no longer working, software upgrade that loses all the old date, I could go on and on.

I've worked in IT for 35 years and have seen the havoc created by software upgrades and lazy people.

Forget the apps, just put all your receipts in a folder and file it away. I've done that for my last 4 cars and never had a problem. Don't have to worry about somebody else maintaining the database, dealer forgetting to log it, app no longer working, software upgrade that loses all the old date, I could go on and on.

I've worked in IT for 35 years and have seen the havoc created by software upgrades and lazy people.

Yep, having formerly worked in release of clinical application updates for a particularly huge nationwide (maybe worldwide?) medical company I have plenty of stories to scare the sh$t out of folks. :)

Yep, having formerly worked in release of clinical application updates for a particularly huge nationwide (maybe worldwide?) medical company I have plenty of stories to scare the sh$t out of folks. :)

Yeah, I have a whole boatload of stories. Comes down to non-IT management types who think they know better and ignore the advise of application developers so they can deliver something on time and collect their fat bonuses. Been there, done that numerous times.

Yeah, I have a whole boatload of stories. Comes down to non-IT management types who think they know better and ignore the advise of application developers so they can deliver something on time and collect their fat bonuses. Been there, done that numerous times.

Yep,

In this case we were fighting largely bad dev practices where 1 little mess-up in the code being deployed into production could kill a patient.

Anyways, So first oil change went well I guess. It took slightly longer than an hour because of the update to the infotainment system. (Kudos for the advice to say it was rebooting). Cost me 75 bucks but they didn't use the Mazda moly oil, they used a Petro Canada product. Do dealers even use the Mazda oil?

I have no idea if it was dripping or not. I'm not about to get under it.

That's that.

Cost me 75 bucks but they didn't use the Mazda moly oil, they used a Petro Canada product. Do dealers even use the Mazda oil?
My local dealer changed the oil in my 6, (while I watched btw. I asked to be in the shop while they serviced it).
They used Castrol. I asked about Mazda moly oil, and they didn't have a clue what I was even talking about.
New dealership open for less than a year, with young guys in the shop, probably with little or no training.
Oh well.

Anyways, So first oil change went well I guess. It took slightly longer than an hour because of the update to the infotainment system. (Kudos for the advice to say it was rebooting). Cost me 75 bucks but they didn't use the Mazda moly oil, they used a Petro Canada product. Do dealers even use the Mazda oil?

I have no idea if it was dripping or not. I'm not about to get under it.

That's that.

When I bought my CX-5 in 2013, my first several oil changes were with Mazda Moly Oil. It was specifically listed as the oil used. Free. I had lifetime free oil changes at the time. Lifetime my ass.

Anyway, at some point after that period, they switched to Castrol Edge, and that was specifically what was listed as used.

And yet some other dealers used some other generic 0w20 oil that was neither Castrol or Mazda Moly.

Some dealers will use Mazda Moly if you request it for an additional charge. Others probably don't even use it at all anymore and won't have it. It's kind of hit or miss. Some will use the Castrol and others some generic 0w20. There really doesn't seem to be a standard there.

I use the Mazda App and make a paper copy for my files. I find it a very worth while system to keep tract of what the dealer service is preformed (dealer puts their data in) and what I input. Ed

The dealer where I take my cars to does not use Mazda Moly oil. They usually use Castrol. Most Mazda dealerships seem to have some kind of deal with Castrol, as they usually use Castrol for oil changes. Castrol is also listed in the owner's manual.

As far as a Mazda dealership having to use Mazda moly or Castrol, they're not obligated to. All they need to do is make sure the oil they're putting into the car matches the specifications listed in the owner's manual for that car.

Back