Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Video Cleaning Intake valves CX 5 Skyactiv Gasoline engine

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD

How did you rotate the engine to close the #1 and 3 cylinders?

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    OP: Thanks for video.... I guess I need to add this to maintenance list.... kinda looks like a PIA but a lot cheaper than taking to someone for a walnut blast session.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

My only recollection of hand cleaned intake valves included 2-3 hours of scrubbing and using CRC for 10-15 minutes between intervals to loosen stuff out. Along with a metal bristled brush - lot of hardwork. If you were able to clean out with a toothbrush - does that mean the deposits were not too rigid or too hard?

Official Defender of Zamdatm

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Rathfriland View Post
    This is the only thing from stopping me from doing this project= not knowing how to rotate the engine. A strong light allows you to look inside to determine which cylinders are closed. Perhaps I can clean 2 now and cross my fingers and get the other 2 cylinders closed later on LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    My only recollection of hand cleaned intake valves included 2-3 hours of scrubbing and using CRC for 10-15 minutes between intervals to loosen stuff out. Along with a metal bristled brush - lot of hardwork. If you were able to clean out with a toothbrush - does that mean the deposits were not too rigid or too hard?
    The benefit from the toothbrush is no small metal bristles would fall off. Plastic toothbrush bristles usually don't fall off. The downside is less scrubbing power...........aahaaaaaaaaaa. How about an electric rotating toothbrush

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Reviving this thread to thank Felix. I used this tutorial to do the carbon cleaning on my wife's CX-5. 70k miles and it was pretty gross. For me, the most difficult part was removing all the damn hoses and fasteners which held the sensors and wires to the intake manifold. I replaced the PCV valve while I had everything off, cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the plugs. Was in the home stretch and screwing in the top middle bolt last on the IM. Turns out I didn't have it it in the hole, and it fell through. Had to unfasten everything, remove all the bolts, and take the IM out again to fish it out.

Good times.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Rathfriland View Post
    remove the left wheel and plastic wheel well covers and turn the crank pulley. there should be a bolt forgot which size holding the pulley. use a breaker bar

Registered Member

2015 Mazda Cx-5 Touring Sport 2.5l AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Driver 1 View Post
    remove the left wheel and plastic wheel well covers and turn the crank pulley. there should be a bolt forgot which size holding the pulley. use a breaker bar
    Jesus thx for answering this. Ive been waiting 6 mo for an answer!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by eelliiss View Post
    Reviving this thread to thank Felix. I used this tutorial to do the carbon cleaning on my wife's CX-5. 70k miles and it was pretty gross. For me, the most difficult part was removing all the damn hoses and fasteners which held the sensors and wires to the intake manifold. I replaced the PCV valve while I had everything off, cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the plugs. Was in the home stretch and screwing in the top middle bolt last on the IM. Turns out I didn't have it it in the hole, and it fell through. Had to unfasten everything, remove all the bolts, and take the IM out again to fish it out.

Good times.
    Welcome eelliss , Best to get a magnet tool , it is really handy and yes the middle bolt was a bit difficult to get it centered.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    correct sir as mine only 23K kms on the clock during the service.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234