Video Cleaning Intake valves CX 5 Skyactiv Gasoline engine

Okay. great job on creating the video. It really helps.

Any noticeable difference? (sound, feel of engine)

Yess definately theres a difference . I test drove the car the next day and the engine response is back just like a new car like stronger if u know what i mean. Sound wise is i dont think theres a change in the note.

I'm just picturing trying to clean something you can't even see clearly....seems impossible to do a thorough job without leaving small bits of debris behind! Is the debris hard enough to do any damage or does it just harmlessly disintegrate and get blown out the exhaust?

It would be better to remove the small debris as best as you can to prevent the bad things from happening to the engine. Patience is the key to this service and precise tool and good amount of lighting.

My car spends so much time in heavy traffic that my intake system is probably the same or worse. Some days I won't even see 30kph for an hour or so.

How much risk of damage is there due to not removing 100% of the loosened debris? Could small bits of carbon wind up damaging things inside the cylinder, for example if they get wedged between the piston and cylinder wall? Or is that not really an issue?

I did not see the entire video but he removed the wheel so my best guess is that he calculated the top end dead point for each cylinder and that means the valves are fully closed, having said this the chance of debris and liquid falling inside the cylinder is minimal. Valves are completely shut.

I did not see the entire video but he removed the wheel so my best guess is that he calculated the top end dead point for each cylinder and that means the valves are fully closed, having said this the chance of debris and liquid falling inside the cylinder is minimal. Valves are completely shut.

Yes sir you are correct. :)

OP: Thanks for video.... I guess I need to add this to maintenance list.... kinda looks like a PIA but a lot cheaper than taking to someone for a walnut blast session.

My only recollection of hand cleaned intake valves included 2-3 hours of scrubbing and using CRC for 10-15 minutes between intervals to loosen stuff out. Along with a metal bristled brush - lot of hardwork. If you were able to clean out with a toothbrush - does that mean the deposits were not too rigid or too hard?

How did you rotate the engine to close the #1 and 3 cylinders?

This is the only thing from stopping me from doing this project= not knowing how to rotate the engine. A strong light allows you to look inside to determine which cylinders are closed. Perhaps I can clean 2 now and cross my fingers and get the other 2 cylinders closed later on LOL:)

My only recollection of hand cleaned intake valves included 2-3 hours of scrubbing and using CRC for 10-15 minutes between intervals to loosen stuff out. Along with a metal bristled brush - lot of hardwork. If you were able to clean out with a toothbrush - does that mean the deposits were not too rigid or too hard?

The benefit from the toothbrush is no small metal bristles would fall off. Plastic toothbrush bristles usually don't fall off. The downside is less scrubbing power...........aahaaaaaaaaaa. How about an electric rotating toothbrush:)

Reviving this thread to thank Felix. I used this tutorial to do the carbon cleaning on my wife's CX-5. 70k miles and it was pretty gross. For me, the most difficult part was removing all the damn hoses and fasteners which held the sensors and wires to the intake manifold. I replaced the PCV valve while I had everything off, cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the plugs. Was in the home stretch and screwing in the top middle bolt last on the IM. Turns out I didn't have it it in the hole, and it fell through. Had to unfasten everything, remove all the bolts, and take the IM out again to fish it out.

Good times.

remove the left wheel and plastic wheel well covers and turn the crank pulley. there should be a bolt forgot which size holding the pulley. use a breaker bar

Jesus thx for answering this. Ive been waiting 6 mo for an answer!

Reviving this thread to thank Felix. I used this tutorial to do the carbon cleaning on my wife's CX-5. 70k miles and it was pretty gross. For me, the most difficult part was removing all the damn hoses and fasteners which held the sensors and wires to the intake manifold. I replaced the PCV valve while I had everything off, cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the plugs. Was in the home stretch and screwing in the top middle bolt last on the IM. Turns out I didn't have it it in the hole, and it fell through. Had to unfasten everything, remove all the bolts, and take the IM out again to fish it out.

Good times.

Welcome eelliss , Best to get a magnet tool , it is really handy and yes the middle bolt was a bit difficult to get it centered.

correct sir as mine only 23K kms on the clock during the service.

Latest posts

Back