Video Cleaning Intake valves CX 5 Skyactiv Gasoline engine

So do you think you're now having less contaminants/oil in your catch can is because you switched to thicker 5W-30 oil or because it's DEXOS licensed oil?
Heavier weight. I used penzoil 5w30 (non licensed) before with the similar result.

Hi Chris , so right now u are using 5w-30 how is it compare with the 0w-20 readings from your catch can does it collect the same amount or less ? thanks
I saw the pictures Chris_Top_Her posted on the content of catch can with 0W-20 and 5W-30. It has at least 3X more contaminants/oil in the catch can with 0W-20 oil. That's why he keeps using 5W-30 oil since the switch.

Since Indonesia is hot and humid, you definitely should use at least 5W-30 name-brand full synthetic oil to benefit your engine.

I saw the pictures Chris_Top_Her posted on the content of catch can with 0W-20 and 5W-30. It has at least 3X more contaminants/oil in the catch can with 0W-20 oil. That's why he keeps using 5W-30 oil since the switch.

Since Indonesia is hot and humid, you definitely should use at least 5W-30 name-brand full synthetic oil to benefit your engine.

For sure . my next oil change i will switch to 5W-30 :) . cheers

I am just wondering what kind of maintenance the oil separater has if any. Should it be replaced every 100,000 miles, or just leave it alone?

Never seen a cx5 with a oil catch can. Anyone got some pictures of their setup?

A family member picked up a (very nice) 2018 CX-5 last night, and my ordered Moroso 85474 Universal Air/Oil Separator should be arriving today. Not sure if we'll jump right in, or wait for a birthday (within a month). Either way, we'll pull things off above and below, try to figure out a good install location.

Not sure if I would completely remove the original hose between PCV valve and intake manifold (item 1 in following link), or cut it at the middle and splice in, say with brass barb splices. Either way, I'll use 3/8" ID fuel line (I hope that's the required ID).

http://www.mcx5.org/positive_crankcase_ventilation_pcv_valve_removal_installation-1410.html

The aforementioned can has a tap on the bottom, so mounting it on a lower cross beam, accessible during oil changes, is a likely scenario. I have one mounted thus on another vehicle, and it's worked out well.

Last edited:
Wow the wet side of the valves (not sure what its called) look smoother. Vid did not show how deposits were removed. Simply spraying the cleaner on them and then extracting the cleaner/deposit residue with a hose? Pretty sure OP could not reach it with a tooth brush.

Wow the wet side of the valves (not sure what its called) look smoother. Vid did not show how deposits were removed. Simply spraying the cleaner on them and then extracting the cleaner/deposit residue with a hose? Pretty sure OP could not reach it with a tooth brush.
You can see the intake valves once the intake manifold is removed. I believe OP simply sprayed cleaner and used the tooth brush cleaning the deposit off two cylinders at a time with valves fully closed.

You can see the intake valves once the intake manifold is removed. I believe OP simply sprayed cleaner and used the tooth brush cleaning the deposit off two cylinders at a time with valves fully closed.

Yeah OP used a toothbrush to brush the (not sure what its called) walls of the intake something. The actual valves looked pretty deep in there. Nonetheless they turned out smooth. Was originally thinking of a longer version of this
pa265089.jpg

It appears OP got the valves cleaned "chemically" which is impressive for the cleaner.

Better yet I may buy an extender for my new electric drill and use these

51PPTljNOsL.jpg

It would be even better if you have precision tool brush like above ^^^ . I only use the chemical , toothbrush and tool pick to scrape off the carbon deposit bits. Yes and alot of elbow grease with the tooth brush . As i could not find any precision brush on our local auto shop . they had the large brush that wont work ... :D

I had to use syringe and a hose to extract the chemical out . You could use turkey baster aswell.

I had to use syringe and a hose to extract the chemical out . You could use turkey baster aswell.

Okay. great job on creating the video. It really helps.

Any noticeable difference? (sound, feel of engine)

How much risk of damage is there due to not removing 100% of the loosened debris? Could small bits of carbon wind up damaging things inside the cylinder, for example if they get wedged between the piston and cylinder wall? Or is that not really an issue?

How much risk of damage is there due to not removing 100% of the loosened debris? Could small bits of carbon wind up damaging things inside the cylinder, for example if they get wedged between the piston and cylinder wall? Or is that not really an issue?

I bet you can use a small hand pump oil extractor and just pipe a plastic hose down there.

I bet you can use a small hand pump oil extractor and just pipe a plastic hose down there.

I'm just picturing trying to clean something you can't even see clearly....seems impossible to do a thorough job without leaving small bits of debris behind! Is the debris hard enough to do any damage or does it just harmlessly disintegrate and get blown out the exhaust?

Back