Video Cleaning Intake valves CX 5 Skyactiv Gasoline engine

Hi all , just would like to share a video . If you haven't done intake valve clean up check out this video . There's a lot of carbon build up on our engines.

Vehicle done 28.9xxKms on the clock.

Enjoy

Thanks for sharing your video! I like your video which is very detailed sometimes "funny" especially when you pull out a used tooth brush for cleaning which I often do.

With 28,900 km / 18,063 miles on your CX-5 (mind to tell us which MY?) which has that much oil in the intake manifold really shocked me, not to mention how much the carbon deposit on these intake valves! What kind of oil (brand and viscosity) are you using? What is the "oil catch can" you mentioned after you removed the intake manifold? Is that from factory or is it soemthing you added on?

Thanks for sharing your video! I like your video which is very detailed sometimes "funny" especially when you pull out a used tooth brush for cleaning which I often do.

With 28,900 km / 18,063 miles on your CX-5 (mind to tell us which MY?) which has that much oil in the intake manifold really shocked me, not to mention how much the carbon deposit on these intake valves! What kind of oil (brand and viscosity) are you using? What is the "oil catch can" you mentioned after you removed the intake manifold? Is that from factory or is it soemthing you added on?

Thank you. The car is 2013 model. The oil viacosity is 0 w20 oem mazda motor oil changed every 5000kms. The oil catch can part is oem factory parts.

Thank you. The car is 2013 model. The oil viacosity is 0 w20 oem mazda motor oil changed every 5000kms. The oil catch can part is oem factory parts.

I may have missed this, but I didn't see any reference to an oil catch can. Certainly not one that's supplied by Mazda?!

I may have missed this, but I didn't see any reference to an oil catch can. Certainly not one that's supplied by Mazda?!

Apologize didnt make it clear . Where you see the purple colour PCV fitting on the engine block i think mazda design somekind of oil seperator catcher for this engine to catch any excess oil trap inside the intake manifold.

Apologize didnt make it clear . Where you see the purple colour PCV fitting on the engine block i think mazda design somekind of oil seperator catcher for this engine to catch any excess oil trap inside the intake manifold.
So yours is a SkyActiv-G 2.0L which may be a little different than our 2.5L. If there's a factory "catch can" to collect excessive oil inside of intake manifold, why there's still so much oil in there and valves all get gummed up from PCV system due to excessive blow-by gases? Hope Chris_Top_Her can chime in giving us his opinion as he's the one installed an after-market catch can, and removed intake manifold before checking the carbon deposit on valves.

Looks like I should seriously consider using 5W-30 oil instead of 0W-20 oil.

So yours is a SkyActiv-G 2.0L which may be a little different than our 2.5L. If there's a factory "catch can" to collect excessive oil inside of intake manifold, why there's still so much oil in there and valves all get gummed up from PCV system due to excessive blow-by gases? Hope Chris_Top_Her can chime in giving us his opinion as he's the one installed an after-market catch can, and removed intake manifold before checking the carbon deposit on valves.

Looks like I should seriously consider using 5W-30 oil instead of 0W-20 oil.

I would think even the 2.5l which would have similar setup like the 2.0l there fore it would have similar carbon build up problems. But yeah i would follow this up with other member to make sure... only who have done this service to their 2.5L.

I would think even the 2.5l which would have similar setup like the 2.0l there fore it would have similar carbon build up problems. But yeah i would follow this up with other member to make sure... only who have done this service to their 2.5L.
Any reason why you use US special 0W-20 oil? Our manual lists 0W-20 for US, but 5W-30 for other countries. It seems using thicker oil can be beneficial for less blow-by gases. Chris_Top_Her switched his oil from 0W-20 to 5W-30, and the oil collected in the catch can now is a lot less than before.

Any reason why you use US special 0W-20 oil? Our manual lists 0W-20 for US, but 5W-30 for other countries. It seems using thicker oil can be beneficial for less blow-by gases. Chris_Top_Her switched his oil from 0W-20 to 5W-30, and the oil collected in the catch can now is a lot less than before.

It is what my local dealer recommend to use 0w20 for this vehicle here in Indonesia.

It’s all well and good but I’m not sure why you would do it. The oil comes from the crankcase ventilation and will be back to how it was within no time.

I notice Shell V Power is available in the US that will do all that cleaning as you go. I use high grade diesel at home which is loaded with detergent. It’s valiant effort though, I admire your patience.

I notice Shell V Power is available in the US that will do all that cleaning as you go. I use high grade diesel at home which is loaded with detergent. Its valiant effort though, I admire your patience.
With direct injection, how these detergents in the gasoline cleaning up oils and carbon deposits inside of manifold and intake valves?

If I remember it correctly, Chris_Top_Her installed a catch can after he took the intake manifold off and saw the same thing - lots of oils gumming up everything.

Nice video. The oil catch can you refer to is actually the factory PCV assy. on all sky active engines. A seperate catch can to install inline with the factory system is available from many sources. It aids in the prevention of oil vapor from entering the intake but does not eliminate it completely,so cleaning the valves is an eventuality at some point. Using gas with high detergents such as Shell will not help to clean the valves since no gas passes thru the intake manifold or over the valves. This is a direct injection engine meaning the gas is injected directly over the top of the piston and not thru the intake runner.

Nice video. The oil catch can you refer to is actually the factory PCV assy. on all sky active engines. A seperate catch can to install inline with the factory system is available from many sources. It aids in the prevention of oil vapor from entering the intake but does not eliminate it completely,so cleaning the valves is an eventuality at some point. Using gas with high detergents such as Shell will not help to clean the valves since no gas passes thru the intake manifold or over the valves. This is a direct injection engine meaning the gas is injected directly over the top of the piston and not thru the intake runner.
I guess that's why Toyota now uses both direct and port injections in its new Dynamic Force I4 for both performance and longevity considerations.

The PCV system on the 2.p0op and 2.5 are the same. That oil separator is NOT a catch can! It does not isolate the contaminants for later disposal. Whatever is separated goes back into engine just at a lower rate. That's why DEXOS licensed oils are a good choice. Among other requirements to meet the licensing standards, those oils are designed to have less effect on lowering fuel octane when they enter the combustion chamber as blowby.

The PCV system on the 2.p0op and 2.5 are the same. That oil separator is NOT a catch can! It does not isolate the contaminants for later disposal. Whatever is separated goes back into engine just at a lower rate. That's why DEXOS licensed oils are a good choice. Among other requirements to meet the licensing standards, those oils are designed to have less effect on lowering fuel octane when they enter the combustion chamber as blowby.
So do you think you're now having less contaminants/oil in your catch can is because you switched to thicker 5W-30 oil or because it's DEXOS licensed oil?

Latest posts

Back