Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 GT

Just did mine..

Also installed a dashcam that receive power from the mirror on my cx9 GT (2018). I basically doctored my own invisicord by buying the mini usb with the 12v to 5v converter built in with two wires. I think soldered the wire with two jumper pins and connected to the ignition power. (See above for other ppls excellent instructions).. Works like a charm!

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 Signature

i have the 2019 cx9 I can't get the access to the mirror plug with the new frameless mirror. anyone has a 2019 and did the mirror tap can share some clue?

edit: so I was able to access the plug. with the new frameless mirror in 2019 they have the connector hid in the rain sensor area behind the cover.
    pull over the cover and you will see the connector.
    Last edited by hollandog; 11-26-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
    i have the 2019 cx9 I can't get the access to the mirror plug with the new frameless mirror. anyone has a 2019 and did the mirror tap can share some clue?

edit: so I was able to access the plug. with the new frameless mirror in 2019 they have the connector hid in the rain sensor area behind the cover.
    Good to know! Thanks for posting

Registered Member

CX-9 GT 2019

But the wiring harness is different than described here. Have you found wiring harness scheme?
    Mine looks like this:
    _20181210_143321.JPG

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by crimeariver View Post
    But the wiring harness is different than described here. Have you found wiring harness scheme?
    Mine looks like this:
    _20181210_143321.JPG
    I ended up running the cable to use the 12V socket by the passenger side.

Registered Member

2016 CX9 GT

I plan to do this for my wife's CX9, but I don't see any mention of how people are hiding the power brick portion of the Invisicord. How are you hiding the power brick portion of the Inviscord?

Thanks!

Registered Member

CX-9 GT 2019

I ended up running the cable to use the 12V socket by the passenger side.
    I have both radar detector and dashcam, so either one have to connect to HomeLink )
    Last edited by crimeariver; 12-15-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noghri2112 View Post
    I plan to do this for my wife's CX9, but I don't see any mention of how people are hiding the power brick portion of the Invisicord. How are you hiding the power brick portion of the Inviscord?

Thanks!
    Mine is actually just resting against the console that houses the camera on the windshield, you can actually see it in the last pic of post #5 on the first page of this thread. There might be room to jam it up behind the headliner with the rest of the cable, but I didn't bother with trying.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 12-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Noghri2112 View Post

Thanks!
    For the 2019 with the frameless mirror, you have to open up the plastic cover to access the plug anyways so you can hide the power brick inside the cover.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by crimeariver View Post
    I have both radar detector and dashcam, so either one have to connect to HomeLink )
    I couldn't figure out which is which. Blew a fuse trying so that's why I ended up running the wire. :\

2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT

So happy to see you went with the Invisicord!!

So now that you've had it for a while, what are your pros and cons of your specific dashcam? I'm thinking of getting one, but don't want to pay a lot.

Thanks for the Invisicord install photos, very helpful for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SK77X View Post
    So happy to see you went with the Invisicord!!

So now that you've had it for a while, what are your pros and cons of your specific dashcam? I'm thinking of getting one, but don't want to pay a lot.

Thanks for the Invisicord install photos, very helpful for everyone!
    Assuming this was directed to me..

I forgot to update this thread to say that I have a different dashcam now. See here for more info.

The original dashcam still works fine, I just wanted a rear cam as well, and found the A129. When I get a bigger microSD card for the new cam, the old card will go to the original cam, which I'll mount in my wife's Civic.

The new dashcam is a Viofo A129 Duo (~$130 on eBay w/ one of their 15-20% off coupons). It is a set of two cams, one front and one rear. With this particular front and rear combo, the rear camera transfers data and gets power from the front camera via a single cable. This means that video footage from both cams are written on one microSD card (vs. buying an extra card for the rear cam). This also makes the rear cam a little easier to set up as you don't have to use the 12v socket in the cargo area.

In terms of features, the A129 offers motion detection just like the original dashcam, as well as a parking mode (time-lapse combined with motion detection). It also has Wi-Fi capability which is nice if you want to review/download video footage and don't want to transfer files from your card to your laptop first.

The thing I love about these particular dashcams is their design. The wedge style doesn't obscure your view and doesn't look as bulky as some other cams, and also includes a usable LCD screen. From the outside looking in, the camera looks like its just part of the collision mitigation camera/sensor array.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Assuming this was directed to me..
    Yes, sorry sm1ke! I forgot to quote your post.

Thanks for providing the update on the Viofo. That's a pretty good deal for front & back camera, I think you've just sold me on this! It's got the basic features you need, and also great to see the instal DIY about running the wire through the headliner to the back camera. Adding the cost of the Invisicord makes this about a $200 purchase (excluding memory card). Ugh, I already spent $200 on the Corksport SRI, and looking to add the Android Auto retrofit. This dashcam might be more of a priority me thinks!

Quote Originally Posted by SK77X View Post
    Yes, sorry sm1ke! I forgot to quote your post.

Thanks for providing the update on the Viofo. That's a pretty good deal for front & back camera, I think you've just sold me on this! It's got the basic features you need, and also great to see the instal DIY about running the wire through the headliner to the back camera. Adding the cost of the Invisicord makes this about a $200 purchase (excluding memory card). Ugh, I already spent $200 on the Corksport SRI, and looking to add the Android Auto retrofit. This dashcam might be more of a priority me thinks!
    I guess it depends on your needs! AA/ACP is pretty low on my list. Dashcams are also fun to have just so you can catch people being dummies. In the six months I've had a dashcam in my car, I've captured quite a few instances, lol (It's also helped me prove I wasn't liable in a recent moving hit and run).

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I guess it depends on your needs! AA/ACP is pretty low on my list. Dashcams are also fun to have just so you can catch people being dummies. In the six months I've had a dashcam in my car, I've captured quite a few instances, lol (It's also helped me prove I wasn't liable in a recent moving hit and run).
    Yeah I saw that video! Crazy!!!

So how is your front dashcam attached to the windshield? Is it easily removable to switch between vehicles? I know some dashcams have a base/plate that sticks to the windshield, but the camera unit itself either clicks in, or stays attached via magnets. My thought is to be able to use the dashcam on my CX-5 for my weekday commute, and then easily move it over to the CX-9 for the weekend. Of course I couldn't move the rear camera easily because of the wiring, but at least the front. ...or in your opinion would it simply be easier/less hassle to get a cheaper dashcam for the CX-9?

Anyone else ever have a similar thought about sharing a dashcam between your 2 cars?

Also, I agree, AA/ACP isn't anywhere near as important as having the piece of mind of a dashcam in case you get in an accident that wasn't your fault. But it's nice to dream.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast