Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

I plan to do this for my wife's CX9, but I don't see any mention of how people are hiding the power brick portion of the Invisicord. How are you hiding the power brick portion of the Inviscord?

Thanks!

I plan to do this for my wife's CX9, but I don't see any mention of how people are hiding the power brick portion of the Invisicord. How are you hiding the power brick portion of the Inviscord?

Thanks!

Mine is actually just resting against the console that houses the camera on the windshield, you can actually see it in the last pic of post #5 on the first page of this thread. There might be room to jam it up behind the headliner with the rest of the cable, but I didn't bother with trying.

Last edited:

Thanks!

For the 2019 with the frameless mirror, you have to open up the plastic cover to access the plug anyways so you can hide the power brick inside the cover.

So happy to see you went with the Invisicord!!

So now that you've had it for a while, what are your pros and cons of your specific dashcam? I'm thinking of getting one, but don't want to pay a lot.

Thanks for the Invisicord install photos, very helpful for everyone!

So happy to see you went with the Invisicord!!

So now that you've had it for a while, what are your pros and cons of your specific dashcam? I'm thinking of getting one, but don't want to pay a lot.

Thanks for the Invisicord install photos, very helpful for everyone!

Assuming this was directed to me..

I forgot to update this thread to say that I have a different dashcam now. See here for more info.

The original dashcam still works fine, I just wanted a rear cam as well, and found the A129. When I get a bigger microSD card for the new cam, the old card will go to the original cam, which I'll mount in my wife's Civic.

The new dashcam is a Viofo A129 Duo (~$130 on eBay w/ one of their 15-20% off coupons). It is a set of two cams, one front and one rear. With this particular front and rear combo, the rear camera transfers data and gets power from the front camera via a single cable. This means that video footage from both cams are written on one microSD card (vs. buying an extra card for the rear cam). This also makes the rear cam a little easier to set up as you don't have to use the 12v socket in the cargo area.

In terms of features, the A129 offers motion detection just like the original dashcam, as well as a parking mode (time-lapse combined with motion detection). It also has Wi-Fi capability which is nice if you want to review/download video footage and don't want to transfer files from your card to your laptop first.

The thing I love about these particular dashcams is their design. The wedge style doesn't obscure your view and doesn't look as bulky as some other cams, and also includes a usable LCD screen. From the outside looking in, the camera looks like its just part of the collision mitigation camera/sensor array.

Assuming this was directed to me..

Yes, sorry sm1ke! I forgot to quote your post. (doh)

Thanks for providing the update on the Viofo. That's a pretty good deal for front & back camera, I think you've just sold me on this! It's got the basic features you need, and also great to see the instal DIY about running the wire through the headliner to the back camera. Adding the cost of the Invisicord makes this about a $200 purchase (excluding memory card). Ugh, I already spent $200 on the Corksport SRI, and looking to add the Android Auto retrofit. This dashcam might be more of a priority me thinks!

Yes, sorry sm1ke! I forgot to quote your post. (doh)

Thanks for providing the update on the Viofo. That's a pretty good deal for front & back camera, I think you've just sold me on this! It's got the basic features you need, and also great to see the instal DIY about running the wire through the headliner to the back camera. Adding the cost of the Invisicord makes this about a $200 purchase (excluding memory card). Ugh, I already spent $200 on the Corksport SRI, and looking to add the Android Auto retrofit. This dashcam might be more of a priority me thinks!

I guess it depends on your needs! AA/ACP is pretty low on my list. Dashcams are also fun to have just so you can catch people being dummies. In the six months I've had a dashcam in my car, I've captured quite a few instances, lol (It's also helped me prove I wasn't liable in a recent moving hit and run).

I guess it depends on your needs! AA/ACP is pretty low on my list. Dashcams are also fun to have just so you can catch people being dummies. In the six months I've had a dashcam in my car, I've captured quite a few instances, lol (It's also helped me prove I wasn't liable in a recent moving hit and run).

Yeah I saw that video! Crazy!!!

So how is your front dashcam attached to the windshield? Is it easily removable to switch between vehicles? I know some dashcams have a base/plate that sticks to the windshield, but the camera unit itself either clicks in, or stays attached via magnets. My thought is to be able to use the dashcam on my CX-5 for my weekday commute, and then easily move it over to the CX-9 for the weekend. Of course I couldn't move the rear camera easily because of the wiring, but at least the front. ...or in your opinion would it simply be easier/less hassle to get a cheaper dashcam for the CX-9?

Anyone else ever have a similar thought about sharing a dashcam between your 2 cars?

Also, I agree, AA/ACP isn't anywhere near as important as having the piece of mind of a dashcam in case you get in an accident that wasn't your fault. But it's nice to dream.

Yeah I saw that video! Crazy!!!

So how is your front dashcam attached to the windshield? Is it easily removable to switch between vehicles? I know some dashcams have a base/plate that sticks to the windshield, but the camera unit itself either clicks in, or stays attached via magnets. My thought is to be able to use the dashcam on my CX-5 for my weekday commute, and then easily move it over to the CX-9 for the weekend. Of course I couldn't move the rear camera easily because of the wiring, but at least the front. ...or in your opinion would it simply be easier/less hassle to get a cheaper dashcam for the CX-9?

Anyone else ever have a similar thought about sharing a dashcam between your 2 cars?

Also, I agree, AA/ACP isn't anywhere near as important as having the piece of mind of a dashcam in case you get in an accident that wasn't your fault. But it's nice to dream.

The A129 comes with a base plate, which attaches to the mirror with a 3M pad. The power cable/Invisicord connects to the base. The front camera snaps onto the base very easily.

For what you intend to do, I would suggest going to a Home Depot to buy these velcro strips made for picture-hanging by Command.

attachment.php

cmd.JPG

You would buy two Invisicords, one for each vehicle. Apply one of the Command strips to the windshield of each vehicle. Then apply a command strip to the camera (or the base, in the A129's case). Whenever you want to switch, just pull the camera and base off of the velcro in the CX-5 and stick it on the velcro in the CX-9.

The only problem with this might be that the cam might be a little shakier than having it mounted directly to the windshield. But this way you can do what you intend, and the velcro strips will be strong enough to hold the cam in place (they support pictures as heavy as 10lbs).

Hope that helps! I used Command strips to hang everything from pictures and wall art to curtain rods and drapes in my last house. I was able to get them all off easily and didn't have to drill or hammer nails into the wall, which makes it a little more attractive to prospective buyers.

Excellent job man !!! Pls share the measurement of jumper pins. Aliexpress has 2.45MM. Will it work ??? Planning to do make invisicord myself.

Excellent job man !!! Pls share the measurement of jumper pins. Aliexpress has 2.45MM. Will it work ??? Planning to do make invisicord myself.

I'm sorry I don't have that info. Best bet would be to go to the Invisicord website yourself and take measurements from the pics, or email them and ask.

Just updated the first post with some info on my current setup. Samsung's 256gb EVO Plus card works with this setup. Can be found on Amazon for $80 CAD. We're also in the middle of an extreme cold snap here in southern Manitoba, and both cams have been working perfectly in temps as low as -45 Celsius!

anyone have wiring diagram for the 2019 frameless mirror connector? I'm looking for switched power for my dashcam (don't need constant on).

Here's the connector coming off the mirror for the frameless mirror.

it's 10 pin:
Top 5 (left to right): Black, empty, empty, Teel, Black
Bottom 5 (left to right): Blue, Purple, empty, empty, Brown

See pics attached. Any ideas which is ground and which has switched power. I have a multimeter so I can try fitting thin wires in there one by one and seeing which has voltage, but don't want to blow fuses.

Picture2.jpgPicture1.jpg

I don't think you will blow any fuses IF you grounded the multimeter to an outside ground. Just poke the pins with the positive lead.

Finally got some time today to install dashcam. Did some work with the multimeter to figure out wiring on the frameless mirror. First had to identify which pin was ground by running a wire to ground nut under the hood and testing for continuity. Then once I had that, tested other pins for 24v with ignition on.

I used an invisicord to tap into the white plug. 10 pins but only 4 are used...ground is black wire on top left and switched hot is blue/black on bottom right.

See pics below.

Picture6.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture2.jpg

Nice, thanks for posting an update with pictures petesamprs. Install looks very clean!

Finally got some time today to install dashcam. Did some work with the multimeter to figure out wiring on the frameless mirror. First had to identify which pin was ground by running a wire to ground nut under the hood and testing for continuity. Then once I had that, tested other pins for 24v with ignition on.

I used an invisicord to tap into the white plug. 10 pins but only 4 are used...ground is black wire on top left and switched hot is blue/black on bottom right.

See pics below.

View attachment 220722View attachment 220721View attachment 220720View attachment 220718View attachment 220719

Hey thanks for the pictures. One question: did you find out which of the two other wires is for constant 12V?

Back