Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60

Thread: 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

  1. #31
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by SK77X View Post
    Yeah I saw that video! Crazy!!!

    So how is your front dashcam attached to the windshield? Is it easily removable to switch between vehicles? I know some dashcams have a base/plate that sticks to the windshield, but the camera unit itself either clicks in, or stays attached via magnets. My thought is to be able to use the dashcam on my CX-5 for my weekday commute, and then easily move it over to the CX-9 for the weekend. Of course I couldn't move the rear camera easily because of the wiring, but at least the front. ...or in your opinion would it simply be easier/less hassle to get a cheaper dashcam for the CX-9?

    Anyone else ever have a similar thought about sharing a dashcam between your 2 cars?

    Also, I agree, AA/ACP isn't anywhere near as important as having the piece of mind of a dashcam in case you get in an accident that wasn't your fault. But it's nice to dream.
    The A129 comes with a base plate, which attaches to the mirror with a 3M pad. The power cable/Invisicord connects to the base. The front camera snaps onto the base very easily.

    For what you intend to do, I would suggest going to a Home Depot to buy these velcro strips made for picture-hanging by Command.


    cmd.JPG

    You would buy two Invisicords, one for each vehicle. Apply one of the Command strips to the windshield of each vehicle. Then apply a command strip to the camera (or the base, in the A129's case). Whenever you want to switch, just pull the camera and base off of the velcro in the CX-5 and stick it on the velcro in the CX-9.

    The only problem with this might be that the cam might be a little shakier than having it mounted directly to the windshield. But this way you can do what you intend, and the velcro strips will be strong enough to hold the cam in place (they support pictures as heavy as 10lbs).

    Hope that helps! I used Command strips to hang everything from pictures and wall art to curtain rods and drapes in my last house. I was able to get them all off easily and didn't have to drill or hammer nails into the wall, which makes it a little more attractive to prospective buyers.

  2. #32
    Registered Member

    CX-9 2018 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    4
    Excellent job man !!! Pls share the measurement of jumper pins. Aliexpress has 2.45MM. Will it work ??? Planning to do make invisicord myself.

  3. #33
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by lchhimwal View Post
    Excellent job man !!! Pls share the measurement of jumper pins. Aliexpress has 2.45MM. Will it work ??? Planning to do make invisicord myself.
    I'm sorry I don't have that info. Best bet would be to go to the Invisicord website yourself and take measurements from the pics, or email them and ask.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  4. #34
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Just updated the first post with some info on my current setup. Samsung's 256gb EVO Plus card works with this setup. Can be found on Amazon for $80 CAD. We're also in the middle of an extreme cold snap here in southern Manitoba, and both cams have been working perfectly in temps as low as -45 Celsius!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  5. #35
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by crimeariver View Post
    But the wiring harness is different than described here. Have you found wiring harness scheme?
    Mine looks like this:
    Attachment 220001
    anyone have wiring diagram for the 2019 frameless mirror connector? I'm looking for switched power for my dashcam (don't need constant on).
    2019 CX-9 GT AWD:
    Mods/accessories: Fortin remote starter, Dashcam (invisicord hardwire), door edge guards, wheel locks, trailer hitch

  6. #36
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs View Post
    anyone have wiring diagram for the 2019 frameless mirror connector? I'm looking for switched power for my dashcam (don't need constant on).
    Here's the connector coming off the mirror for the frameless mirror.

    it's 10 pin:
    Top 5 (left to right): Black, empty, empty, Teel, Black
    Bottom 5 (left to right): Blue, Purple, empty, empty, Brown

    See pics attached. Any ideas which is ground and which has switched power. I have a multimeter so I can try fitting thin wires in there one by one and seeing which has voltage, but don't want to blow fuses.

    Picture2.jpgPicture1.jpg
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  7. #37
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    85
    I don't think you will blow any fuses IF you grounded the multimeter to an outside ground. Just poke the pins with the positive lead.

  8. #38
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    110
    Finally got some time today to install dashcam. Did some work with the multimeter to figure out wiring on the frameless mirror. First had to identify which pin was ground by running a wire to ground nut under the hood and testing for continuity. Then once I had that, tested other pins for 24v with ignition on.

    I used an invisicord to tap into the white plug. 10 pins but only 4 are used...ground is black wire on top left and switched hot is blue/black on bottom right.

    See pics below.

    Picture6.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture2.jpg
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  9. #39
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Nice, thanks for posting an update with pictures petesamprs. Install looks very clean!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  10. #40
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs View Post
    Finally got some time today to install dashcam. Did some work with the multimeter to figure out wiring on the frameless mirror. First had to identify which pin was ground by running a wire to ground nut under the hood and testing for continuity. Then once I had that, tested other pins for 24v with ignition on.

    I used an invisicord to tap into the white plug. 10 pins but only 4 are used...ground is black wire on top left and switched hot is blue/black on bottom right.

    See pics below.

    Picture6.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture2.jpg
    Hey thanks for the pictures. One question: did you find out which of the two other wires is for constant 12V?

  11. #41
    Registered Member

    2016 CX9 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Mine is actually just resting against the console that houses the camera on the windshield, you can actually see it in the last pic of post #5 on the first page of this thread. There might be room to jam it up behind the headliner with the rest of the cable, but I didn't bother with trying.
    Thanks for information. I finally got around to getting dashcam and the Invisicord. IN the picture I thought it was larger than what it appeared. I thought it was going to be a huge power brick for some dumb reason.


    Camera works, but I noticed when we put the vehicle into Reverse and even going from Drive to Park, it can power off and then back on. I am using the power connections on back of mirror that provides power only when vehicle is on. I didn't want to possibly drain the battery.

    I thought I saw post about disabling something in mirror to not lose power when shifting, but haven't found anything.

    Anyone have issues where they used the switching power connections(blue/black) on back of mirror and dashcam will power cycle when shifting?

    I bought the Invisicord with fuse and mini pins. Dashcam I have is the Viofo A119S V2



    UPDATE:

    I fixed my issue. I thought there were 2 ground wires in the power connection for mirror and interpreted previous posts that you plug the ground near the one you plug in for positive side. I moved my ground wire to the single black wire by the green/black connection and tested it out and it stayed on when I shifted into reverse. I originally had it plugged into the ground wire next to blue/black. What I thought was proper ground wire also appeared to be dual colored blue/black. Anyways, looks like I fixed my issue.


    Thanks!
    Last edited by Noghri2112; 04-21-2019 at 11:35 PM.

  12. #42
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Noghri2112 View Post
    Thanks for information. I finally got around to getting dashcam and the Invisicord. IN the picture I thought it was larger than what it appeared. I thought it was going to be a huge power brick for some dumb reason.


    Camera works, but I noticed when we put the vehicle into Reverse and even going from Drive to Park, it can power off and then back on. I am using the power connections on back of mirror that provides power only when vehicle is on. I didn't want to possibly drain the battery.

    I thought I saw post about disabling something in mirror to not lose power when shifting, but haven't found anything.

    Anyone have issues where they used the switching power connections(blue/black) on back of mirror and dashcam will power cycle when shifting?

    I bought the Invisicord with fuse and mini pins. Dashcam I have is the Viofo A119S V2



    UPDATE:

    I fixed my issue. I thought there were 2 ground wires in the power connection for mirror and interpreted previous posts that you plug the ground near the one you plug in for positive side. I moved my ground wire to the single black wire by the green/black connection and tested it out and it stayed on when I shifted into reverse. I originally had it plugged into the ground wire next to blue/black. What I thought was proper ground wire also appeared to be dual colored blue/black. Anyways, looks like I fixed my issue.


    Thanks!
    Glad you got it sorted! I almost did the same thing myself when I was inserting the pins for the Invisicord, haha.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  13. #43
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by azuzu View Post
    Hey thanks for the pictures. One question: did you find out which of the two other wires is for constant 12V?
    no sorry I didn't check the other two. Once i found the switched hot I was done. But it should be easy if you know the ground...put one pin into the ground and then just try the other two one by one to see which is constant hot.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  14. #44
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    85
    For 2019 users with HomeLink mirrors, the constant 12v hot is the pin just above the switched 12v in petesamprs's install pictures.

  15. #45
    Registered Member

    2007 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2016 CX-9 Touring

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Anyone have any experience with this?

    https://www.amazon.com/SimpleUSBPort...gateway&sr=8-3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2018, 05:44 PM
  2. How to hardwire a dashcam in Mazda
    By LifeisgreatWM in forum CX-5 How-To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2018, 10:51 PM
  3. CX-5 2017 Rear Dashcam
    By SixPackABS in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2017, 01:54 PM
  4. Dashcam installed
    By ZzRicezZ in forum CX-9 Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2017, 12:38 PM
  5. Dashcam installation in 2016 CX-9 GT?
    By alex_a in forum CX-9 How-To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2016, 08:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •