Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by SK77X View Post
    Yeah I saw that video! Crazy!!!

So how is your front dashcam attached to the windshield? Is it easily removable to switch between vehicles? I know some dashcams have a base/plate that sticks to the windshield, but the camera unit itself either clicks in, or stays attached via magnets. My thought is to be able to use the dashcam on my CX-5 for my weekday commute, and then easily move it over to the CX-9 for the weekend. Of course I couldn't move the rear camera easily because of the wiring, but at least the front. ...or in your opinion would it simply be easier/less hassle to get a cheaper dashcam for the CX-9?

Anyone else ever have a similar thought about sharing a dashcam between your 2 cars?

Also, I agree, AA/ACP isn't anywhere near as important as having the piece of mind of a dashcam in case you get in an accident that wasn't your fault. But it's nice to dream.
    The A129 comes with a base plate, which attaches to the mirror with a 3M pad. The power cable/Invisicord connects to the base. The front camera snaps onto the base very easily.

For what you intend to do, I would suggest going to a Home Depot to buy these velcro strips made for picture-hanging by Command.

cmd.JPG

You would buy two Invisicords, one for each vehicle. Apply one of the Command strips to the windshield of each vehicle. Then apply a command strip to the camera (or the base, in the A129's case). Whenever you want to switch, just pull the camera and base off of the velcro in the CX-5 and stick it on the velcro in the CX-9.

The only problem with this might be that the cam might be a little shakier than having it mounted directly to the windshield. But this way you can do what you intend, and the velcro strips will be strong enough to hold the cam in place (they support pictures as heavy as 10lbs).

Hope that helps! I used Command strips to hang everything from pictures and wall art to curtain rods and drapes in my last house. I was able to get them all off easily and didn't have to drill or hammer nails into the wall, which makes it a little more attractive to prospective buyers.

Registered Member

CX-9 2018 Signature

Excellent job man !!! Pls share the measurement of jumper pins. Aliexpress has 2.45MM. Will it work ??? Planning to do make invisicord myself.

Quote Originally Posted by lchhimwal View Post
    Excellent job man !!! Pls share the measurement of jumper pins. Aliexpress has 2.45MM. Will it work ??? Planning to do make invisicord myself.
    I'm sorry I don't have that info. Best bet would be to go to the Invisicord website yourself and take measurements from the pics, or email them and ask.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Just updated the first post with some info on my current setup. Samsung's 256gb EVO Plus card works with this setup. Can be found on Amazon for $80 CAD. We're also in the middle of an extreme cold snap here in southern Manitoba, and both cams have been working perfectly in temps as low as -45 Celsius!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by crimeariver View Post
    But the wiring harness is different than described here. Have you found wiring harness scheme?
    Mine looks like this:
    Attachment 220001
    anyone have wiring diagram for the 2019 frameless mirror connector? I'm looking for switched power for my dashcam (don't need constant on).
    2019 CX-9 GT AWD:
    Mods/accessories: Fortin remote starter, Dashcam (invisicord hardwire), door edge guards, wheel locks, trailer hitch

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs View Post
    anyone have wiring diagram for the 2019 frameless mirror connector? I'm looking for switched power for my dashcam (don't need constant on).
    Here's the connector coming off the mirror for the frameless mirror.

it's 10 pin:
    Top 5 (left to right): Black, empty, empty, Teel, Black
    Bottom 5 (left to right): Blue, Purple, empty, empty, Brown

See pics attached. Any ideas which is ground and which has switched power. I have a multimeter so I can try fitting thin wires in there one by one and seeing which has voltage, but don't want to blow fuses.

Picture2.jpgPicture1.jpg

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

I don't think you will blow any fuses IF you grounded the multimeter to an outside ground. Just poke the pins with the positive lead.

Registered Member

Finally got some time today to install dashcam. Did some work with the multimeter to figure out wiring on the frameless mirror. First had to identify which pin was ground by running a wire to ground nut under the hood and testing for continuity. Then once I had that, tested other pins for 24v with ignition on.

I used an invisicord to tap into the white plug. 10 pins but only 4 are used...ground is black wire on top left and switched hot is blue/black on bottom right.

See pics below.

Picture6.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture2.jpg

Nice, thanks for posting an update with pictures petesamprs. Install looks very clean!

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs View Post
    Finally got some time today to install dashcam. Did some work with the multimeter to figure out wiring on the frameless mirror. First had to identify which pin was ground by running a wire to ground nut under the hood and testing for continuity. Then once I had that, tested other pins for 24v with ignition on.

I used an invisicord to tap into the white plug. 10 pins but only 4 are used...ground is black wire on top left and switched hot is blue/black on bottom right.

See pics below.

Picture6.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture2.jpg
    Hey thanks for the pictures. One question: did you find out which of the two other wires is for constant 12V?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123