Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

Mine is actually just resting against the console that houses the camera on the windshield, you can actually see it in the last pic of post #5 on the first page of this thread. There might be room to jam it up behind the headliner with the rest of the cable, but I didn't bother with trying.

Thanks for information. I finally got around to getting dashcam and the Invisicord. IN the picture I thought it was larger than what it appeared. I thought it was going to be a huge power brick for some dumb reason.

Camera works, but I noticed when we put the vehicle into Reverse and even going from Drive to Park, it can power off and then back on. I am using the power connections on back of mirror that provides power only when vehicle is on. I didn't want to possibly drain the battery.

I thought I saw post about disabling something in mirror to not lose power when shifting, but haven't found anything.

Anyone have issues where they used the switching power connections(blue/black) on back of mirror and dashcam will power cycle when shifting?

I bought the Invisicord with fuse and mini pins. Dashcam I have is the Viofo A119S V2

UPDATE:

I fixed my issue. I thought there were 2 ground wires in the power connection for mirror and interpreted previous posts that you plug the ground near the one you plug in for positive side. I moved my ground wire to the single black wire by the green/black connection and tested it out and it stayed on when I shifted into reverse. I originally had it plugged into the ground wire next to blue/black. What I thought was proper ground wire also appeared to be dual colored blue/black. Anyways, looks like I fixed my issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for information. I finally got around to getting dashcam and the Invisicord. IN the picture I thought it was larger than what it appeared. I thought it was going to be a huge power brick for some dumb reason.

Camera works, but I noticed when we put the vehicle into Reverse and even going from Drive to Park, it can power off and then back on. I am using the power connections on back of mirror that provides power only when vehicle is on. I didn't want to possibly drain the battery.

I thought I saw post about disabling something in mirror to not lose power when shifting, but haven't found anything.

Anyone have issues where they used the switching power connections(blue/black) on back of mirror and dashcam will power cycle when shifting?

I bought the Invisicord with fuse and mini pins. Dashcam I have is the Viofo A119S V2

UPDATE:

I fixed my issue. I thought there were 2 ground wires in the power connection for mirror and interpreted previous posts that you plug the ground near the one you plug in for positive side. I moved my ground wire to the single black wire by the green/black connection and tested it out and it stayed on when I shifted into reverse. I originally had it plugged into the ground wire next to blue/black. What I thought was proper ground wire also appeared to be dual colored blue/black. Anyways, looks like I fixed my issue.

Thanks!

Glad you got it sorted! I almost did the same thing myself when I was inserting the pins for the Invisicord, haha.

Hey thanks for the pictures. One question: did you find out which of the two other wires is for constant 12V?

no sorry I didn't check the other two. Once i found the switched hot I was done. But it should be easy if you know the ground...put one pin into the ground and then just try the other two one by one to see which is constant hot.

For 2019 users with HomeLink mirrors, the constant 12v hot is the pin just above the switched 12v in petesamprs's install pictures.

That's actually awesome, I'm tempted to try it. One of my issues with my Invisicord is it was difficult to insert the pins properly. I had to secure it with zip ties to guarantee it won't pull out.

@azuzu - I just ordered one. Will report back once I receive and install.

That's actually awesome, I'm tempted to try it. One of my issues with my Invisicord is it was difficult to insert the pins properly. I had to secure it with zip ties to guarantee it won't pull out.

Really? The pins are pretty secure in my setup.

It might have been just me, but the pins on the Invisicord I received were very hard to press into the harness plug. Either the plug terminals are too tight against the plastic and leaves very little gap for the Invisicord, or the pins on my Invisicord are a little too thick. I have them inserted to a point that they won't fall off, but a light tug on the cable will pull them so I just zip tied them into place.

One question I have with this newfound discovery is if it is constant or switched output so hopefully we get an answer from @philw66.

Same thing, invisicord pins seem to thick to push into harness plug. Barely half in and ended up securing it with tape.

Last edited:
Follow up...

Received the cable today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Installation couldn't be more straightforward. You will need to supply your own usb cable (the shorter the better).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QLjpoRF1iqjLrCQZ8

QLjpoRF1iqjLrCQZ8

Last edited:
That*s the best solution by far. It*s a 5V output, right?

While I did not check the output with a voltmeter, the seller stated that the output was 5V usb.

"Hi, yes this converter will add a 5V usb output between your rear view mirror and electrical harness. Please note that this product is only compatible with select mirrors and that you need to look at the connector of your mirror to verify fit.
By SELLER on April 24, 2019"

It did not fry my dashcam. It is a switched output, so my dashcam unit powered down a few seconds after ignition off.

Hope this helps...

Connectors are different on my CX9 GT. Anyone tried this on higher trim levels?

I did this on my 2018 Signature. I see that you have a 2019 GT. Do you also have a frameless rear view mirror? If so, you'll have to tap into a different harness (explained on page 2 and 3).

I did this on my 2018 Signature. I see that you have a 2019 GT. Do you also have a frameless rear view mirror? If so, you'll have to tap into a different harness (explained on page 2 and 3).

Duh I shouldve read the whole thread. Sorry about that, but thanks for letting me know. Ps your posts are awesome! Changed out my rear bulbs to LEDs based on your other post! Cheers

Duh I should*ve read the whole thread. Sorry about that, but thanks for letting me know. Ps your posts are awesome! Changed out my rear bulbs to LEDs based on your other post! Cheers

No worries! And thanks for the kind words. I'm glad those guides are helpful!

In case anyone doesn't want to mess with hardwiring your dashcam like me, I opted for a battery pack:

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/battery-packs/products/cellink-neo-extended-battery-pack

Recharges when your accessory socket is on and powers the parking mode for a good amount of time when the engine is not running. Had it in the New England summer and winter now with no issue temp-wise. I velcro-stuck it in the compartment under the glove box.

Great alternative. I like how sleek it is, makes it easy to hide. It's also nice that you can triple up on the battery for extended life.

Back