2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

I thought i read an article on 6 vs cx-5 real world test, that showed the Turbo 6 returned better fuel economy then the Cx-5, even though epa numbers showed the CX-5 should be better.
The CX-5 is underpowered and weighs a couple hundred pounds more. A more powerful engine will be more efficient even in fuel economy with just this alone. Of course there are other factors if we wanna get really technical,but everything points to a more powerful engine is better all around.

I know its labeled more as a want,but it really is more of a need...

Still waiting on that diesel. Man, I just dont buy it. Sorry. Would be cool if it was legit. It should catapult the cx5 into the arena with $40-50k competitors at a fraction of the cost. The interior and driving dynamics are there now. Its the anemic powerplant. I'll go ahead and dream with ya...

Word,right there witcha...Called the diesel spot on here...

Glad to see they might finally be wising up engine wise again,but its a tad too late (still better late than never,I guess).

This thread might hurt sales for 18 CX5. We should wait for announcement from zamda.

If it arrives, it would actually be a very spirited vehicle. The forester 2.0xt didn't make as much power, and it was fun in a straight line. A 250/310 cx5 would be legit! That's how I know it won't ever happen.

The utube video of the 2.5T Mazda 6 more or less says don't expect a sports car performance, the power delivery is tuned for effortless performance, Mazda may have made the gearing higher.

One interesting thing I just noticed on the Mazda website, is that on the SPECIAL OFFERS there is now an discount offered on all of the 2019 Mazdas.

But there are no 2019 Mazda's listed as available yet...???

The utube video of the 2.5T Mazda 6 more or less says don't expect a sports car performance, the power delivery is tuned for effortless performance, Mazda may have made the gearing higher.

It weighs 3563# (The same as a CX5 in some trims, 100# less in others, really a very minor quibble) and did 0-60 in 6.4 seconds.

That is a full TWO SECONDS off of the current 0-60 time. That's freaking earth shattering. It's the difference between a Mustang GT and a damn GT-R, and then some.

The quarter mile was a full TEN MILES PER HOUR FASTER TRAP SPEED!

Dude, it may not be "amazing", but it will be absolutely in a completely different league from the current CX5.

But it's never going to happen, so stop stressing and go back to "But Mah Diesel!!!!!" (For those of us in NA).

Last edited:
One interesting thing I just noticed on the Mazda website, is that on the SPECIAL OFFERS there is now an discount offered on all of the 2019 Mazdas.

But there are no 2019 Mazda's listed as available yet...???

They learned from the "2018 Diesel" the "RX9 in development", the "Mazdaspeed anything". STFU until you got the goods, because noone takes Mazda serious anymore. RX9...Diesel CX5...dead MazdaSpeed division...yeah...whatever bro. Come at me with another underpowered CUV with a light sheetmetal re-work and suspension tweaks.

It weighs 3563# (The same as a CX5 in some trims, 100# less in others, really a very minor quibble) and did 0-60 in 6.4 seconds.

That is a full TWO SECONDS off of the current 0-60 time. That's freaking earth shattering. It's the difference between a Mustang GT and a damn GT-R, and then some.

The quarter mile was a full TEN MILES PER HOUR FASTER TRAP SPEED!

Dude, it may not be "amazing", but it will be absolutely in a completely different league from the current CX5.

But it's never going to happen, so stop stressing and go back to "But Mah Diesel!!!!!" (For those of us in NA).

That's not what I've seen have you got a video to look at?
I'm hoping we get the 190ps diesel n the UK myself, I don't think I would be happy with the 2.5T petrol MPG, or UK VED, along with the price, but it would be nice to have a choice.

If it arrives, it would actually be a very spirited vehicle. The forester 2.0xt didn't make as much power, and it was fun in a straight line. A 250/310 cx5 would be legit! That's how I know it won't ever happen.

No doubt it would be a spirited vehicle :)

I thought i read an article on 6 vs cx-5 real world test, that showed the Turbo 6 returned better fuel economy then the Cx-5, even though epa numbers showed the CX-5 should be better.

If that is the case then here the turbo 6 which has official urban/city fuel figure of 10.1 L/100km (23.29 US mpg) would have to be over 1.0L better than the CX-5 2.5 NA fuel figure which is 9.2 L/100km (25.57 US mpg).

In most city/urban commutes, somehow I doubt the turbo 6 would beat the CX-5

Agreed. If the turbo was available when I bought my 2017, I would definitely have sprung for it. But most of the driving I do has me getting ~11.0-11.5L/100KM, which is worse than I expected out of this car. It's not the biggest deal as I don't do a ton of driving (only 11,000km in this first year), but still not great. So I won't have too much buyer's remorse when/if a turbo CX-5 is available.

(iagree). Buyer's remorse for me should be negligible if any

EDIT: some rough calculations show that it would cost me ~$300 more per year to drive the turbo (figuring ~13.5L/100km vs. 11L). I guess that's not a ridiculous amount. :/
If I was buying in 2019 with that knowledge, I might go for it. Would depend on the purchase price difference and performance difference of course, and I wouldn't want the turbo to be any louder (in the cabin), because even with all the NVH improvements in 2017, I wouldn't want any more engine noise for sure.

Turbo 2.5 is quieter than NA 2.5

The CX-5 is underpowered and weighs a couple hundred pounds more. A more powerful engine will be more efficient even in fuel economy with just this alone. Of course there are other factors if we wanna get really technical,but everything points to a more powerful engine is better all around.

I know it’s labeled more as a want,but it really is more of a need...

Not really. Turbo 6 is less efficient than 2.5 NA 6 and the same will occur for Turbo CX-5 vs 2.5 NA CX-5.

That's not what I've seen have you got a video to look at?
I'm hoping we get the 190ps diesel n the UK myself, I don't think I would be happy with the 2.5T petrol MPG, or UK VED, along with the price, but it would be nice to have a choice.

For here, I'd say the 2.5T CX-5 official fuel figures would be between the 2.5T 6 official figures and the 2.5T CX-9 official figures, that is:

2.5T Mazda 6:

City/Urban: 10.1 L/100km (27.97 UK mpg)
Highway: 6.2 L/100km (45.56 UK mpg)
Combined: 7.6 L/100km (37.17 UK mpg)

2.5T Mazda CX-9 (AWD):

City/Urban: 11.4 L/100km (24.78 UK mpg)
Highway: 7.3 L/100km (38.70 UK mpg)
Combined: 8.8 L/100km (32.10 UK mpg)

2.5L turbocharged DOHC 16-valve I-4/250 hp @ 5,000 rpm, 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm

New Mazda6 Turbo does the 1/4 mile in 14.9 @ 97mph

Mazda6 2.5 with NO turbo did the 1/4 mile in 15.5 @ 92mph

Knocking off a 1/2 second is no small task. While not a sports car by any means. I would take the more power. Not to mention with 310 lb-ft of torque, it would make towing better.

Last edited:
Back