2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

2.5L turbocharged DOHC 16-valve I-4/250 hp @ 5,000 rpm, 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm

New Mazda6 Turbo does the 1/4 mile in 14.9 @ 97mph

Mazda6 2.5 with NO turbo did the 1/4 mile in 15.5 @ 92mph

Knocking off a 1/2 second is no small task. While not a sports car by any means. I would take the more power. Not to mention with 310 lb-ft of torque, it would make towing better.

Mazda used Falken SUV tires on the Mazda 6 and the ECU tuning was still more on the SUV side than a sedan as well.

My cousin whom owns a modified Evo putting down a conservative 350hp to the wheels test drove the new Mazda6 Turbo and came away impressed by its passing power 30-55 speed despite the tires. Pretty sure if you put some summer tires it would be better. My gripe though is the brakes. How you gonna have the Mazda6 Turbo have the same brake size rotors as the NA model?

I thought Mazda has stated the CX-5 and Mazda 6 don't have room for the 2.5T and AWD. What would have changed in the CX-5 to allow this to happen now?

Personally, I think they should do to the 2.5 engine what they did for the 2.0 engine in the new 2019 Miata.

Can you cite the source regarding CX-5? Also I’m sure their engineers can sort it out anyway.

I thought Mazda has stated the CX-5 and Mazda 6 don't have room for the 2.5T and AWD. What would have changed in the CX-5 to allow this to happen now?

Personally, I think they should do to the 2.5 engine what they did for the 2.0 engine in the new 2019 Miata.

Can you cite the source regarding CX-5? Also I’m sure their engineers can sort it out anyway.

I thought quite the opposite,Dave Coleman said long ago the 2.5T would fit easily in the CX-5,and thats why its always added to the uhh why not then aspect of things...

I thought quite the opposite,Dave Coleman said long ago the 2.5T would fit easily in the CX-5,and that’s why it’s always added to the uhh “why not” then aspect of things...

I remember as well which is why I’m asking for a source.

I thought this was only an issue with the current gen Mazda3 and Mazda6? The CX-5 can accommodate a twin-turbo diesel engine, so I'm guessing the 2.5T engine will also fit.

It truly would be awesome! I'd finally have to concede that the cx5 was a choice someone wants to make instead of has to make due to logistics.
That's an odd statement.
Why would you have to concede as to the authenticity of someone's reasoning for their own purchase?
Or maybe I misunderstand your comment.

It truly would be awesome! I'd finally have to concede that the cx5 was a choice someone wants to make instead of has to make due to logistics.

That's an odd statement.
Why would you have to concede as to the authenticity of someone's reasoning for their own purchase?
Or maybe I misunderstand your comment.

To break it down, in Unob's mind, no one buys a CUV because they want to. I mean, he didn't buy one because he wanted to, therefore that applies to everyone, apparently.

You’re just jealous because your gen is noisy and looks like you’re heading to pick up your 1.5 kids from soccer practice.

You are thinking of a CR-V there, sir. ;)

I came from soft top Jeeps, the "noisiness" people complain about is improvement from what I am used to. :p

And not jealousy, I just don't dig the chicken wire grill, overhanging hood (looks like an overbite), and that gigantic piece of chrome up front and around the bottoms of the windows. I will say I have liked the Gen 2's I've seen folks do chrome deletes on, but the front end is still a bit of a problem for me. I just don't understand why you give it an overbite like that.

To each their own. To Xeler8's post which I originally replied to, will be interested to see how a "Gen 3" turns out styling wise.

Last edited:
I thought quite the opposite,Dave Coleman said long ago the 2.5T would fit easily in the CX-5,and that’s why it’s always added to the uhh “why not” then aspect of things...

I can't find the damn source but thought that the CX-5 is on the same platform as the Mazda 3 and 2.5T won't fit in the 3 with AWD. Let me look again...

Here is the link to the Mazda 3 and 6 AWD issue:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/02/wheel-drive-mazda6-prospects-looking-iffy/

Honestly, I hope I am wrong as the 2.5T in the CX-5 would rock.

Last edited:
To each their own. To Xeler8's post which I originally replied to, will be interested to see how a "Gen 3" turns out styling wise.

I'd say it will evolve again from current styling, major changes but still see the resemblence

2.5 std on sport and touring, 2.5T gas std or optional 2.2TT diesel on GT and above for 2019MY. Word to ya moms.

^ Based on this very non-factual piece of information GT intenders not interested in either of those should probably act soon.

Back