Kickdown Switch

Adguy21

:
2019 CX-5 GT Reserve Soul Red
I've searched for hours on this forum and the internet and can not get a straight answer. When you floor it and THEN hit the kickdown switch do you keep the switch all the way down once the car downshifts and accelerates or do you let the pedal up a little so the kickdown switch is no longer activated. It seems as though after you hit the kickdown switch and the car downshifts the switch is forcing your foot back up to just flooring it.

I've searched for hours on this forum and the internet and can not get a straight answer. When you floor it and THEN hit the kickdown switch do you keep the switch all the way down once the car downshifts and accelerates or do you let the pedal up a little so the kickdown switch is no longer activated. It seems as though after you hit the kickdown switch and the car downshifts the switch is forcing your foot back up to just flooring it.

You just floor it. You're overthinking it. Pretend you dont even know about or feel or acknowledge the kickdown switch. Or, if you like, consider it like sport mode for people who want to accelerate NOW.

If you lift, it will upshift, which is not what you want. There is no "push back" from the accelerator pedal. It's not like an on/off switch... unlike sport mode.

If you lift, it will upshift, which is not what you want. There is no "push back" from the accelerator pedal. It's not like an on/off switch... unlike sport mode.

So if i'm getting on the highway and hit the kickdown switch keep my foot to the floor (kickdown switch all the way down) and keep accelerating?

So if i'm getting on the highway and hit the kickdown switch keep my foot to the floor (kickdown switch all the way down) and keep accelerating?

What are you trying to do? You are basically flooring it. The car will shift to the lowest possible gear until it hits redline and shifts. If you floor it before to kick switch the car will not go to redline before the shift but closer to 4-5K RPM.

I think you are overthinking this.

If you floor it down all the way, it goes to the lowest possible gear, accelerates to the redline, then shifts, etc.

If you let up, it will upshift, which is not what you want if you are trying to floor it up a hill/on-ramp, whatever. You only let up when you are done flooring it.

FWIW, I hit the sport mode when I'm just about to get on the on ramp. Then accelerate onto the highway THEN once I'm at speed I turn sport mode off.

Back