Car & Driver 40,000 mile update/wrap-up - '16 CX-9.

Having owned lots of different cars, with my 2017 Mazda 6 being my first Mazda, I can tell you that warped rotors, early brake wear, are anything but just a Mazda thing.
It's more common across the industry than you might expect.
Most mass produced vehicles not in the luxury or "high" end category, are built as cheaply as possible.
The brakes in mass produced cars in many cases barely meet minimum requirements.
Parts are cheap (cost and quality), and more often than not, the rotors are too small, or barely adequate, for the size and weight of the vehicle.
Compacts, sub-compacts, and other daily drivers are designed and engineered for so called "daily commuters" type of drivers/users.
They are not engineered for the driver enthusiast or aggressive type of driver that might put a bit of a strain on the vehicle.
If you take for example, a Honda Fit, and drive the crap out of it, the brakes will be done in a week.
I was a Nissan guy for many years, and constantly had to service the brakes on my Altima and Sentra.
My Pathfinder is a little better, but it has drum brakes in the rear, and are infinitely better than rear discs, believe it or not.
The rear discs in my other cars were particularly bad. I was lucky to get 20K out of them. Not only crappy and undersized rotors, but garbage single piston calipers that seized all the time.
I'm sure the climate had something to do with it (Canada), but still, they were cheap.
Mazda is not alone in trying to save money by using components that meet the minimum requirements.
Just my thoughts. Cheers everyone.

Except my 3 Toyotas!

Back