E Parking Brake

This thread exemplifies why I will be buying my 2015 Touring with a manual hand brake at the end of its lease period.

This thread exemplifies why I will be buying my 2015 Touring with a manual hand brake at the end of its lease period.

They have a remedy, you just have to dick around with them until they fix it.

A reminder from a friend who also owns a Mazda. Never engage the EPB after heavy braking. We don't have drum brakes for parking brakes. Engaging the EPB while the rotors are still hot may warp the rotor in the long run. The pads may also make a "mark" on the rotors.

A reminder from a friend who also owns a Mazda. Never engage the EPB after heavy braking. We don't have drum brakes for parking brakes. Engaging the EPB while the rotors are still hot may warp the rotor in the long run. The pads may also make a "mark" on the rotors.

Good advise but this would apply to any parking brake, electronic or not.

If the vehicle doesn't have a dedicated drum brake serving only as the parking brake.

'most people' wouldn't know if their cars have dedicated drum brakes for the parking brake or not, so...

'most people' wouldn't know if their cars have dedicated drum brakes for the parking brake or not, so...
Yes, I agree. Generally speaking only higher-end vehicles would offer dedicated rear drum brakes serving as parking brake. Few cars I've owned only my 2000 BMW 528i has it and I wasn't aware of it until I studied the service manual after the purchase.

Yes, I agree. Generally speaking only higher-end vehicles would offer dedicated rear drum brakes serving as parking brake. Few cars I've owned only my 2000 BMW 528i has it and I wasn't aware of it until I studied the service manual after the purchase.

If memory serves me correctly, the drum portion of the rear brake that serves as the e-brake is part of the rear disc assembly. It's all one piece.
The drum is on the inside of the disc, and is really small. The shoes used for the e-brake are thus pretty small as well. Not a whole lot of holding power there.
If the rear disc is hot, then the drum portion will be hot too.
The good part though is that the disc pads are not used at this point when the e-brake is engaged, but the shoes will be engaged against a hot drum. Probably not as much of an issue.

The CX5 uses the rear calipers to park. I can absolutely assure you that no harm is done by applying the parking brake hot - what else can you do? It*s all taken into account in design and these brakes are well up to it. There used to be a risk with manually applied brakes when applied hot that the disc could contract when cooling and the brake would release but this EPB is applied with such force that it is actually designed to be a secondary (emergency with ABS function) brake. The friction material is also part of the design with very strict allowances for compression and swell. Not wishing to contradict but staining of the disc does not matter at all and is soon removed by normal braking.

I had another incident the other day, TPMS light went off, went outside to check the tires and could smell the rear brakes, again. Car is at the dealer now for this and engine oil leak. Pointed out the TSB to the tech, in his defense he said it wasn't technically a TSB, which is why they couldn't find one, has a "reference number", R052/16C. I believe the actual TSB number may be 04-005-17-3329, but can't verify it. Pointed out the pictures on page 4 matched my condition, see below

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20181107_110608599.jpg
    IMG_20181107_110608599.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_20181107_095456278.jpg
    IMG_20181107_095456278.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
I had another incident the other day, TPMS light went off, went outside to check the tires and could smell the rear brakes, again. Car is at the dealer now for this and engine oil leak. Pointed out the TSB to the tech, in his defense he said it wasn't technically a TSB, which is why they couldn't find one, has a "reference number", R052/16C. I believe the actual TSB number may be 04-005-17-3329, but can't verify it. Pointed out the pictures on page 4 matched my condition, see below
Thiss strange as your 2016.5 CX-5 should have newer version rear calipers based on the TSB. Since this dragging problem has be going on for a while, and Mazda has changed the remedy a couple of times started with changing the EPB control module, I wonder if there're more involved other than just caliper revision?

My dealer didnt need the Reference Number of the TSB from me as theyre fully aware this EPB problem and been performing this fix for many 2016 CX-5s. Id insist to get both rear caliper replaced with revised version, in addition to new pads and rotors on both sides.

This*s strange as your 2016.5 CX-5 should have newer version rear calipers based on the TSB. Since this dragging problem has be going on for a while, and Mazda has changed the remedy a couple of times started with changing the EPB control module, I wonder if there're more involved other than just caliper revision?

My dealer didn*t need the *Reference Number* of the TSB from me as they*re fully aware this EPB problem and been performing this fix for many 2016 CX-5*s. I*d insist to get both rear caliper replaced with revised version, in addition to new pads and rotors on both sides.
My car was built a month before the revision came out.

This*s strange as your 2016.5 CX-5 should have newer version rear calipers based on the TSB. Since this dragging problem has be going on for a while, and Mazda has changed the remedy a couple of times started with changing the EPB control module, I wonder if there're more involved other than just caliper revision?

My dealer didn*t need the *Reference Number* of the TSB from me as they*re fully aware this EPB problem and been performing this fix for many 2016 CX-5*s. I*d insist to get both rear caliper replaced with revised version, in addition to new pads and rotors on both sides.

They replaced everything

I sometimes wonder if the new idea, like an E-brake is any real advantage over the mechanical brake in my CX5 2014. More stuff to malfunction, more difficult to defeat on the road if it malfunctions and much more expensive to fix. Ed

I sometimes wonder if the new idea, like an E-brake is any real advantage over the mechanical brake in my CX5 2014. More stuff to malfunction, more difficult to defeat on the road if it malfunctions and much more expensive to fix. Ed

I totally agree, I see only trouble down the road, there's nothing I like about it.

I totally agree, I see only trouble down the road, there's nothing I like about it.
Electrical Parking Brake is nothing new. EPB with Hold function is on my brothers 2012 BMW 520D and his has never had any problems. Its a design issue on manufacturing tolerance based on the explanation of the TSB. IMO its the mistake of Mazda itself, but nothing to do with the new (old) design.

Electrical Parking Brake is nothing new. EPB with Hold function is on my brother*s 2012 BMW 520D and his has never had any problems. It*s a design issue on manufacturing tolerance based on the explanation of the TSB. IMO it*s the mistake of Mazda itself, but nothing to do with the new (old) design.

Electric motors at the wheel area...don't like it...nada..

Electric motors at the wheel area...don't like it...nada..
Using electrical motor instead of mechanical device is a trend to control the needed function precisely and easily. Electrical parking brake、electrical power steering、electrical water pump、electrical variable valve timing、etc are all gradually been implemented into the automobile nowadays.

Back