E Parking Brake

:
2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG
Ive just noticed this the past two weeks; when disengaging the E parking brake it feels like the right rear is not engaged or the left side is sticking and not disengaging quick enough. So much so I can feel the rear end shift as the E-brake releases the disc.

Is this the same for you? Mine is a 2016.5 with 13,000 miles..

This's a typical symptom of rear brake / EPB dragging described in this TSB R052/16C and happens very offen including my 2016 CX-5. Both revised rear calipers are needed for replacement with new disc pads and rotors. This's an expensive repair and most dealers simply wave it off claiming this's normal, or saying you need a new set of rear pads. Make sure to take your CX-5 in before your new car warranty expires, and show them the TSB.

Ive just noticed this the past two weeks; when disengaging the E parking brake it feels like the right rear is not engaged or the left side is sticking and not disengaging quick enough. So much so I can feel the rear end shift as the E-brake releases the disc.

Is this the same for you? Mine is a 2016.5 with 13,000 miles..

Get it seen to ASAP. Both of my rear wheel brakes have seized ON whilst driving ( at different times) and the only indication was the TPS light came on as the heat caused by the seized brake heated the tyre as the pressure was then too high. Luckily, both times I was near my destination. When stopped the heat from the wheel could be felt 2 feet away along with assorted clanging and pinging noises from the wheel. Called Mazda Assist both times and the car was taken away on a low loader to the dealer. The dealer only replaced the affected parts on each wheel one at a time instead of both wheels at the same time.(whistle) Luckily still under warranty.

Thank you both, I’ve got my next oil change coming in the next week.. I printed ou the TSB and will bring it with me and ask them to look at the TSB and my E Brake system..

Thank you for the advise and the TSB link..

Will report back afterwards.

Thank you both, Ive got my next oil change coming in the next week.. I printed ou the TSB and will bring it with me and ask them to look at the TSB and my E Brake system..

Thank you for the advise and the TSB link..

Will report back afterwards.
Make sure to demand BOTH rear calipers getting replaced with the revised ones or the results would be like Jonno21 experienced, happened the 2nd time!

When I brought in my 2016 CX-5 in for last-chance warranty service, I listed 10 issues with several TSB related but not showing the symptom like the EPB dragging. The tech who was taking care of all issues said my rear brakes were fine, no actions taken. I raised the matter to a master tech and asked him to check the pad wear in person as I believe I eventually would have EPB dragging issue with original calipers which have insufficient accuracy of the screw threads on the rear calipers used for EPB. The master tech double checked and found my outer pads wore more than inner pads on both sides, and agreed to perform the TSB fix with revised calipers along with new pads and rotors.

So be persistent.

Does this apply to 2017 model too? How worried should I get?
Yours should be fine. Based on the TSB, the revised rear calipers started putting into the assembly line for CX-5 on September 9, 2016. Since you're in Sweden, check your manufacture date to make sure.

I had an incident with mine last week. Disengaged the brake and drove for about 2 miles, car felt like it was really struggling. When I came to a stop light the burnt smell was really bad. Pulled over and the rear brakes were making all kinds of groaning noises when I tried to stop and go and you could feel the heat from the rear wheel. I was on a slight incline and the car wouldn't roll, I disengaged and reengaged the ebrake a few times and the car would finally roll away freely. Going to the dealer Tuesday for a checkout. Not using that damn thing again!

I had an incident with mine last week. Disengaged the brake and drove for about 2 miles, car felt like it was really struggling. When I came to a stop light the burnt smell was really bad. Pulled over and the rear brakes were making all kinds of groaning noises when I tried to stop and go and you could feel the heat from the rear wheel. I was on a slight incline and the car wouldn't roll, I disengaged and reengaged the ebrake a few times and the car would finally roll away freely. Going to the dealer Tuesday for a checkout. Not using that damn thing again!

Its well documented. It needs the modified parts.

While on the subject of EPB would someone remind me of the correct sequence after putting car in P?

Should I release the foot brake pedal first before engaging electronic brake (in which case car will move back and forth a bit, potentially causing wear on the gear box)?

Or should it be the other way, using EPB to prevent car from moving, before releasing foot brake (but then wouldn't EPB be put under stress for an extended period before I drive again next time)?

Thx

While on the subject of EPB would someone remind me of the correct sequence after putting car in P?

Should I release the foot brake pedal first before engaging electronic brake (in which case car will move back and forth a bit, potentially causing wear on the gear box)?

Or should it be the other way, using EPB to prevent car from moving, before releasing foot brake (but then wouldn't EPB be put under stress for an extended period before I drive again next time)?

Thx

Here's what I do, based on the info in the owner's manual.

With foot on the brake peddle (brakes applied) place the shifter in neutral, engage EPB, place shifter in park, remove foot from brake peddle.

Its well documented. It needs the modified parts.

Could you repost that? It appears the files are gone...
My dealer "checked out" the rear parking brake and said they're fine...most annoying, said there's no TSB for rear parking brake on a CX5

Could you repost that? It appears the files are gone...
My dealer "checked out" the rear parking brake and said they're fine...most annoying, said there's no TSB for rear parking brake on a CX5

Try another dealer. There should be evidence of a bluish tinge on the discs (rotors) due to overheating. (Anchorman might need to advise what the other symptoms would be) When mine overheated and I called out Mazda Assist, there was no question, (I was warned not to drive it under any circumstances) Put on a low loader to the dealer and hire car provided. When it happens again, video the offending wheel(s) to capture the distance you can feel the heat and capture all the noises it makes. Going the extra mile a laser temperature probe is handy as Anchorman proved to his dealer when he videoed/photographed the temperature after a run.

Also, on mine the TPMS warning light came on as the tyre pressure was too high due to the increase in temperature. That's how I knew about it. You may have to keep doing this (smash)(bang)(bang)(bang)(deadhorse(deadhorse(deadhorse to the dealer but you are in the right. I hate injustice.

I can*t upload anything until the forum is fixed. It*s like fighting with one arm tied behind my back!

Told them the number but I hate making an argument without knowing what it says (phone conversation), service advisor looked it up and told me that was for squeaking brakes and I told her it addresses other issues. Bah! Took it home and looked everything over myself and there was really nothing to see. Time will tell. Yeah, that server crash took out a whole lot of stuff from going a few years back. They're (dealer) usually pretty good with stuff but I hate showing them stuff they should already know, especially when it's dated from 2 years ago.
Yep, going to carry my infrared gun with me, maybe I'll video some smoke coming out of there next time.

Last edited:
Told them the number but I hate making an argument without knowing what it says (phone conversation), service advisor looked it up and told me that was for squeaking brakes and I told her it addresses other issues. Bah! Took it home and looked everything over myself and there was really nothing to see. Time will tell. Yeah, that server crash took out a whole lot of stuff from going a few years back. They're (dealer) usually pretty good with stuff but I hate showing them stuff they should already know, especially when it's dated from 2 years ago.
Yep, going to carry my infrared gun with me, maybe I'll video some smoke coming out of there next time.
My Mazda dealer is fully aware this EPB TSB and has done the fix for many CX-5's. What's the assembly date of your 2016.5 CX-5?

I can*t upload anything until the forum is fixed. It*s like fighting with one arm tied behind my back!

**Nothing to do with uploading, but have you tried a different keyboard??**

My Mazda dealer is fully aware this EPB TSB and has done the fix for many CX-5's. What's the assembly date of your 2016.5 CX-5?

8/16. I find it hard to believe this particular dealer never heard of this, I think it was just late in the day and this particular service advisor didn't want to deal with it.

Last edited:
Back