2015 Touring vs. 2018 GTouring Seat Comfort

sonex293

:
2015 CX-5 Touring FWD, Crystal White Pearl Mica
I've got a 2015 CX-5 Touring with cloth seats. I find in long haul trips (8-10 hours) the seats become uncomfortable. I've added supplemental lumbar support and even a neck pillow.

If I understand correctly, GT seats were different. Better? Are the new seats introduced with the 2017 model even better?

Anyone move from a Touring to a GT and find the seats much more comfortable?

Thanks,
Michael

Take a break after a couple of hours, it does make a difference.

I don't know about the 2018 GT, but I have driven my parent's 2017 Touring which has leatherette seats and it was pretty comfy.

Edit: I too suggests taking breaks on long trips. When we go on road trips, I make it a point to stop at designated rest stops along the interstate. Usually it is a 1.5 - 2 hour drive between rest stops.

I've got a 2015 CX-5 Touring with cloth seats. I find in long haul trips (8-10 hours) the seats become uncomfortable. I've added supplemental lumbar support and even a neck pillow.

If I understand correctly, GT seats were different. Better? Are the new seats introduced with the 2017 model even better?

Anyone move from a Touring to a GT and find the seats much more comfortable?

Thanks,
Michael

I went from a 2017 Touring to a 2018 Grand Touring. To be honest the leatherette seats with suede inserts on the Touring were more comfortable. The Grand Touring seats are nice too as they are true leather and you kinda just slide ride out when leaving the car. They do hold you tight though when taking turns. Hopes this helps...

The bottom cushion on the 2017+ models is a little flatter in that the side bolsters aren't as high as the pre-2017's, which might improve comfort a bit (not as confining for larger folk). I just did a 12 hour 800 mile drive, only stopping for gas and had no complaints with the seats in the 2017 GT.

I can't comment on trips that long but I have a herman miller chair at home and even when I sit in that chair for more than 5 hours I have to get up and move around becuase it becomes uncomfortable. I've had a 2016 Touring with cloth seats and now a 2017 GT with leather and I've felt a lot more comfortable in the leather, but the difference between those seats isn't going to matter if you're sitting down for that long. doesn't matter what you're sitting in--gotta take breaks and stretch every couple hours at least.

I can't comment on trips that long but I have a herman miller chair at home and even when I sit in that chair for more than 5 hours I have to get up and move around becuase it becomes uncomfortable. I've had a 2016 Touring with cloth seats and now a 2017 GT with leather and I've felt a lot more comfortable in the leather, but the difference between those seats isn't going to matter if you're sitting down for that long. doesn't matter what you're sitting in--gotta take breaks and stretch every couple hours at least.

I don't even like Herman Miller chairs. I have one at work and I hate it. I find it very uncomfortable.

Best chair I ever used at an office was a Steelcase Leap. but that's a $1000 chair.

But at home, I prefer full-back chairs with headrests and fully adjustable armrests (up/down, as well as in/out and angles).

As for my car, I find the seats very comfortable (2014 Touring with cloth seats). But likewise, taking rests is key.

I don't even like Herman Miller chairs. I have one at work and I hate it. I find it very uncomfortable.

Best chair I ever used at an office was a Steelcase Leap. but that's a $1000 chair.

But at home, I prefer full-back chairs with headrests and fully adjustable armrests (up/down, as well as in/out and angles).

As for my car, I find the seats very comfortable (2014 Touring with cloth seats). But likewise, taking rests is key.

i have the aeron model which is around 900 new, but I was able to get one used in very good condition from a craiglist office space clearout for 200 bucks. If I ever see that steelcase listed somewhere I'll definitely give it a shot. I could use another good chair for my other desk.

i have the aeron model which is around 900 new, but I was able to get one used in very good condition from a craiglist office space clearout for 200 bucks. If I ever see that steelcase listed somewhere I'll definitely give it a shot. I could use another good chair for my other desk.

Yeah I have an Aeron at work, and I hate it LOL.

But the worst chair I ever used was a Knoll Generation. Horrible design.

Steelcase Leap is my favorite simply for their design of the armrests. Very modular.

Appreciate all the info everyone! I'm definitely stopping every 2 hours at Rest Stops/Welcome Centers/etc. But after 10 hours, my upper back/shoulders are hurting.

Just wondering if I go from a 2015 cloth seat to a 2018/2019 leather seat, would I notice a comfort improvement?

=
Michael

Appreciate all the info everyone! I'm definitely stopping every 2 hours at Rest Stops/Welcome Centers/etc. But after 10 hours, my upper back/shoulders are hurting.

Just wondering if I go from a 2015 cloth seat to a 2018/2019 leather seat, would I notice a comfort improvement?

=
Michael

Honestly, hard to say as everyone is built differently, what's comfortable to 1 is not to another.

Try sitting in a new one and see what your immediate impressions are.

Sitting in ANY seat-- in your car, at the office, whatever-- for more than a couple of hours is a sure recipe for back pain. If not at the time, then over time, as you get older.

Hello shadnoz, Appreciate your views on back pain during long sitting! Back pain became encyclic in people who work in the office, Most cases you will found to be the major reason for sitting in the wrong chair in a bad posture for a long time. I already have been faced trouble during long sitting in my office.
I would prefer an ergonomic chair for those who work all day sitting chair in the office.

But picking the right ergonomic chair is not an easy task for everyone because I have already bought it twice online but didn’t satisfied on this decision, but eventually, I got a good chair for myself which made such as leather or fabric instead of mesh, Now there is relief in back pain too.

Last edited:
We have two models here, one with velour and the other with leather. I find the velour softer and more comfortable. If I could opt out of leather in the Top range model, I would.

Back