CX-5 screen replacement?

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
I doubt this but has anyone here had to replace the screen in the 2nd gen Cx5? just wondering what the cost would be. I know the screen is different from the computer but I have a feeling like it'll be at least $400 or so including labor. I used alcohol pads (by mistake) on the screen and it scrubbed away the anti glare protection and left a huge mark on the screen. it's impossible to see at night but in the day it looks bad.

Last edited:
Salvage yard or mazdadudes' suggestion. $800 and you still need to get it installed is a big chunk of $$$

You could take it apart, find out the screen model number and maybe, you are lucky to find one on Aliexpress, by searching for that part number.
The screen is plastic, or glass?

I would be afraid to use any spray type. I would go to a a big cell phone store like VERIZON and look at their films used to covering cell phone or IPad screens. Ed

I would be afraid to use any spray type. I would go to a a big cell phone store like VERIZON and look at their films used to covering cell phone or IPad screens. Ed

You could get the spray (it's relatively cheap) and try it on something else first. Just an empty glass jar, or something.

damn that's super depressing. the problem is when I used the cleaning wipe, it looks like what would happen if you put acetone on plastic, so if i were to wipe the rest of it away, the screen would be impossible to see in the day

damn that's super depressing. the problem is when I used the cleaning wipe, it looks like what would happen if you put acetone on plastic, so if i were to wipe the rest of it away, the screen would be impossible to see in the day
May be you can use super-fine sandpaper to smooth out the damaged screen area? Never done it but just a thought.

I remember I did use standard alcohol wipe cleaning up my infotainment screen a couple of times with no damage. And I use alcohol cleaning up screens of cell phones and laptops all the time. I guess I just got lucky.

May be you can use super-fine sandpaper to smooth out the damaged screen area? Never done it but just a thought.

I remember I did use standard alcohol wipe cleaning up my infotainment screen a couple of times with no damage. And I use alcohol cleaning up screens of cell phones and laptops all the time. I guess I just got lucky.

I've used Sight Savers which has alcohol on my infortainment screen, TV, laptops, cell phones, kids tablets and my glasses which have an anti-glare coating with no ill effects.
I think whatever the OP used was stronger than alcohol.

Looking at the pic in your original thread, I still think it's worth a shot to try and remove the remainder of the coating to establish a consistent surface to which you can apply a fresh layer or a standard protective film. The correct coating or film will make the screen fully visible again.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-Odd-damage-to-infotainment-screen&highlight=

Once I have removed the anti-glare layer from a monitor and I had to put it in the trash. I couldn't see anything on the screen, only with polarized glasses.
It may not even be an anti glare that coating, it could be the polarizer layer.

I would absolutely still try going to the dealer. I am going to disagree with just about everybody here. Nothing new there. LOL
Alcohol is not going to damage your screen. It's not. It's really not. Please point me to anywhere in the manual where it says "do not use alcohol on the screen". Does it specifically say that? No. You have a warranty claim.
Having said that I can't believe anyone uses anything other then: plain old water. Get a soft rag wet and clean. The eyeglass wipes work well, too. As does a straight up microfiber eyeglass cloth.
You do not need any cleaners or anything else.
Straight rubbing alcohol might damage a screen. I will concede that. But you didn't use that?!?
Always dilute alcohol.

Last edited:
Just spent my lunch hour eating and looking through the manual...i Don't see anything about cleaning the screen mentioned at all! #warranty

Last edited:
i finally had a chance to call today and they told me to bring it in so they can take a look at it and take pictures to see if it's a valid warranty claim. i'm going to bring it in tomorrow after work. what's weird is I cleaned the whole screen with the wipe and only the lower center portion had most of the anti glare stripped away. hopefully it gets fixed because it looks awful in the day time, can't even tell at night though

Thanks 7eregrine. I brought to dealer and theyre covering it under warranty. She told me not to say anything about using a screen wipe. That it was defective. But it will get fixed yay

Getting fixed today. Confirmed the part was 1.2k. I do not understand why though. Isnt that just the screen and the computer is a separate piece ? You can buy a 60 inch 4K TV that has a computer in it for half the price

Certainly could have all the electronics in it and is one complete unit. An iPad does.

Back