2016 CX5 rear bumper

:
CX 5 GT AWD
I have a 2016 black GT CX5, in less then 6 months I have had 2 people hit my back bumper causing minor (but expensive) damage. I just replaced the bumper and less than 2 weeks later, someone hit me in a parking lot and left. Im so mad-it was just replaced! Ive come to realize that the rubber part of the bumper is a POS, and worthless. Im sick of replacing the entire back bumper-how can I protect it from further damage? Ive seen some bumper guards, but they are more for off road and very big and flashy. Ive seen some skid plates, but I dont know if It will be enough protection. It looks very low and doesnt appear to protect the top of the bumper. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw those, but it looks like it only protects the center of the bumper. Both times I was hit off to the side. Never saw folding ones, not sure how it works.

How about rear protection tow bar, something like this:

107m4gy.jpg

I saw those, but I think they are more for off road?? I was looking for something less flashy and more discreet. I really didnt want something that sticks out that much. Thank you.

I saw those, but I think they are more for off road?? I was looking for something less flashy and more discreet. I really didn’t want something that sticks out that much. Thank you.

That one is for a van - there are more serious off road versions.

Here's the full image:

211734h.jpg

Have a look around the web - there are much more discrete tow bar attachments that should do the job

Im still researching what to do about the bumper-ive Heard that go rhino makes a 38inch bumpstep, but cant find any pictures of it on a cx5. The only one Ive seen is the 24inch weather tech. I dont think its long enough to protect. Does anybody have one that they could take a picture and post it? Im curious to see what it looks like and if it would cover and effect the backup camera and sensors.

I really favor a hitch with a nice ball. Does max damage to other person vehicle if their careless. Ed

Since my post was deleted, for the record contact the relevant organisation via email and see if they can send you some photos of the device in action

Thank you. So far only one seller(go rhino) has responded it was not helpful at all. It was good advice though. Still trying to find pics

Quick follow up to bumper situation: was unable to find good pics and sellers were of no help. Ended up just going for it and took the chance to order the Bumpstep XL. Ill post pics later. Got some helpful information from dealer regarding installing the tow hitch needed for the bumpstep. Mazda Corp would only approve a class 1 hitch due to towing torque. Only class 3 hitches have the necessary 2 hitch and adapter cant be used with bumpstep. Since my Mazda warranty expires next month, I didnt care about voiding Mazda warranty. good news-my extended warranty from Zurich (purchased from dealer when I bought car) said I would not void warranty with class 3 hitch. My suggestion to anyone wanting class 3 hitch would be to ensure your extended warranty company approves it.

Back