Anyone have Continental Truecontact??

Thisguy65

:
cx 5
Looking for recommendation for my wife's CX-5.She has Nitto N4125TQ now an they have lasted almost 75k. I'm looking at the ones below. The Truecontact, I'm curious if a new model is replacing it or they are removing it from their product line.

Continental Truecontact
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Grand Touring FWD

&

General Altimax RT33
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...oModClar=Grand Touring FWD&vehicleSearch=true

Reason for these are tread wear, cost, noise, traction, reviews on tire rack.

My concerns are those few that state their General or Continental tire worn out prematurely. A lot of variables are to consider (mainly) tire pressure, rotation and how often these items were done/check.

Thoughts?

I've got Tru Contacts on my CX-5. They've been on the car now for a little over 40,0000 miles. I think they have around 6/32" of tread left. So far I've been very happy with them. Smooth ride, quiet and handle well. Mine are wearing evenly too. I do rotate them every 7,500 to 10,000 so I'm sure that helps.

A number of owners here have made the switch to RT43s (including myself) and have been very happy with them. I have 17k miles on mine and they hardly show any wear. A little background on Continental and General in case you're not aware: General is a wholly-owned US subsidiary of Continental. Even though the RT43 is priced substantially below the True Contact (and has a higher speed rating), my guess is the General product is their version of the T/C and shares a common architecture. Just my opinion, but judging from pricing and product positioning, I think that's a reasonable assumption. Anyway, you can't go wrong with either tire IMO, but given the choice again, I'd do the same thing and pocket the $30/tire difference.

Looking for recommendation for my wife's CX-5.She has Nitto N4125TQ now an they have lasted almost 75k. I'm looking at the ones below. The Truecontact, I'm curious if a new model is replacing it or they are removing it from their product line.

Continental Truecontact
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Grand Touring FWD

&

General Altimax RT33
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...oModClar=Grand Touring FWD&vehicleSearch=true

Reason for these are tread wear, cost, noise, traction, reviews on tire rack.

My concerns are those few that state their General or Continental tire worn out prematurely. A lot of variables are to consider (mainly) tire pressure, rotation and how often these items were done/check.

Thoughts?
You just missed may be one of the best deals so far on 225/55R19 Pirelli Cinturato P7™ A/S+ for $139 Each Plus $100 Prepaid Mastercard| from Discount Tire during Memorial Day weekend. Between 2 tires you listed they're very similar on specs and General is the subsidiary of Continental Tires. For the price I definitely go for General AltiMAX™ RT43 and it has good reviews in this forum too.

If your Nitto N4125TQ (NT421Q?) with "640 A A" UTQG has lasted almost 75K miles, RT43 should last at least that many miles on your wife's CX-5 with "700 A A" UTQG. RT43 on my 1998 Honda CR-V AWD has 20K miles, the tread depth now is at 8/32" which means 70~80K miles of tread life. You should dismiss few premature-wear claims on General AltiMAX™ RT43 and Continental TrueContact™ and look at overall performance ratings based on many more customers. 8.5 treadwear rating on RT43 is very high:

attachment.php

IMG_0294.PNG

Last edited:
Back when I autocross I used Falken and Pirelli. Had side wall blow out with only 85 miles on it, no autocross. Pirelli wouldn't do anything about it. After that I would never own another Pirelli tired.

A lot of the searching I've done, I see you, yrwei52, always comment about the aitmax. With your devotion to the tire I have to ask do you work for general..lol

Like the P38 btw.

Back when I autocross I used Falken and Pirelli. Had side wall blow out with only 85 miles on it, no autocross. Pirelli wouldn't do anything about it. After that I would never own another Pirelli tired.

A lot of the searching I've done, I see you, yrwei52, always comment about the aitmax. With your devotion to the tire I have to ask do you work for general..lol

Like the P38 btw.
Any name-brand tires will have defects sometimes. I had expensive Michelin's all developed dry rots on the sidewall within a year and Michelin refused to do anything on it. As I mentioned above, General AltiMAX RT43 is a good tire on performance with excellent price. I personally use it on my CR-V for more than 20,000 miles. But when other good deals poping up such as Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+, which has excellent review BTW, on 225/55R19 for only $114 each, I definitely urged the member to get it ASAP. Just trying to offer the best information I have and help people making a right decision if they can't decide.

Yeah I like P-38 as it's the most unique and one of the best fighter planes during WWII!

Are those links going to an advertisement page for anyone else?

Any name-brand tires will have defects sometimes. I had expensive Michelin's all developed dry rots on the sidewall within a year and Michelin refused to do anything on it. As I mentioned above, General AltiMAX RT43 is a good tire on performance with excellent price. I personally use it on my CR-V for more than 20,000 miles. But when other good deals poping up such as Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+, which has excellent review BTW, on 225/55R19 for only $114 each, I definitely urged the member to get it ASAP. Just trying to offer the best information I have and help people making a right decision if they can't decide.

Yeah I like P-38 as it's the most unique and one of the best fighter planes during WWII!

I work for CAT, as Hydraulic system engineer that prototyping hydraulic systems. Ive seen my share of supplier parts defective, sag, not clean as they should, etc. It was the fact they wouldn't warranty it because they knew I did autocross. The Truecontact have $70 rebate which brings the overall price down.

In deed it is. My favorite is the Corsair and B17(flew in one last year). Mustang holds a special place. In the time it was a idea to flying was impeccable.

Sorry guys that ti send you to some ad page, I wasn't aware of it until ya'll mention it.

I don't think it's your fault. I was was able to follow the "Why am I getting this page" link and opt out of getting the ad page. Now it works as you intended.

I work for CAT, as Hydraulic system engineer that prototyping hydraulic systems. Ive seen my share of supplier parts defective, sag, not clean as they should, etc. It was the fact they wouldn't warranty it because they knew I did autocross. The Truecontact have $70 rebate which brings the overall price down.

In deed it is. My favorite is the Corsair and B17(flew in one last year). Mustang holds a special place. In the time it was a idea to flying was impeccable.

I too autocross,and I wouldnt have warranted it if I was Pirelli either.

I dont work for General either,but I do highly support them...

If you didn't have that bad experience with Pirelli, you might reconsider Pirelli Cinturato P7™ All Season Plus as Discount Tire still sells it for $139 each. The ratings are excellent at Tire Rack, but the only thing stops me is the low 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

I like F4U Corsair too with its unique inverted gull wings. Don't tell me you actually "flew" a B-17 last year?! Even just flew in a B-17 that would be one of a lifetime experience!

Back