Power steering dying?

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
2012 mazda5
Owned since new (06/2011)
98,000 miles
AT

This happened about two months ago. Happened again today. In parking lot, put in reverse, wheel turned, and loud groaning noise. It is a weird loud noise. Almost sounds like something rubbing. It’s really loud and sounds like it is Coming from steering wheel - at least that’s where I hear it from . While noise happening, wheel turns fine, no increased stiffness in wheel . Put car in drive, turn, pull forward no noise

So far happened 2 times. Both times parking lot, full steering wheel lock.

Steering fluid is clear, changed at 77k miles
No leaks

Any ideas what this weird loud groaning type noise could be ?

Last edited:
It’s not a belt squeal

It’s a type of weird noise that I have never heard from cars

Almost sounds like creak/groan from bulkhead/steering rack, that needs lube on steering shaft

It’s not the electric pump.... making the noise, rather just the physical steering

It’s so intermittent (twice in 7 years)

Check the Plastic fender liners for signs of rubbing. Mine shifted on its one passenger side front and made weird intermittent noises for months before I figured it out.

Check the Plastic fender liners for signs of rubbing. Mine shifted on its one passenger side front and made weird intermittent noises for months before I figured it out.
Thank you
Will do that

It just sounds loud and almost like in steering column shaft or something

Too intermittent still

i had my strut break through the bearing plate (im assuming from bad install from previous owner) but it caused the strut to lose the last few threads wich at first seamed ok but was actual no good cause it had play again like last time so when stopped and turning the wheel it sounded disgusting and sure enough it was the bearing plate broke instantly because it could sit in the strut properly so replacing both this time fixed the issue. if you work on it your self i recommend taking it out before the bearing plate breaks apart cause that holds the spring in and my dad and I struggled for a long time to get the strut out, we had to compress the suspension with a jack then put u bolts to keep it compressed till we had it compressed enough to take it out. the strut tower is so tight we couldn't fit a spring compresses. the second time i took the strut out by my self in 30 mins tops cause it was still one piece much easier that way.

Back