Unnecessary spark plug replacement?

Id go OEM. Its not like theyre that expensive and the labor is the more expensive part anyway so if youre doing yourself shouldnt break the bank.
I couldn't agree more with you.

thanks for clarification Yrwei, it doesn't seem like we can buy the "S" version anywhere online though... when I Google only the "R" resistor version shows up....

PE5R-18-110, do you have any links to buy the "S" version that came with the CX-5 from the factory ?
Actually resister spark plug is the preferred plug for every vehicle. Its also a little more expensive than standard plug. In fact our owners manual also specifies PE5R-18-110, along with PE5S-18-110, as recommended spark plugs for SkyActiv-G.

I believe the reason why the factory spark plugs are standard PE5S-18-110 plugs is the cost is lower for Mazda with such a large quantity. In parts supply chain nobody is going to care that little price difference, hence they usually would only sell better resistor plugs.

LOL, local dealer wanted $32 a piece. Online it is...
Please make sure to take some comparison pictures between factory and new OEM plugs from different angles and tip area. A shot on new OEM package too and see if there's NGK's model # "ILKAR7L11" on it.

Please make sure to take some comparison pictures between factory and new OEM plugs from different angles and tip area. A shot on new OEM package too and see if there's NGK's model # "ILKAR7L11" on it.
Will do.

I wouldn’t be surprised if ngk is one of the OE suppliers
Actually I do believe NGK makes Mazda spark plugs. But we don't know if the specs are exactly the same between Mazda PE5R-18-110 and NGK ILKAR7L11. Based on huge price difference and OrangeVirus Tuning's comments, I do believe they're different. NGK ILKAR7L11 would still work but I believe it'd hurt some performance in certain conditions on SkyActiv-G without been able to serve as a "sensor".

If you haven't, watch this just posted video by felixd which should help you replacing spark plugs. You only need to watch related portions of removing and installing the spark plugs if you're not interested in the entire process of cleaning carbon deposit on intake valves. ;)

Well well looky here folks. OEM plugs ordered from Med Center Mazda at $25.82 a peice. It seems to possess the NGK model number too.

14380985fd7880da7e4f70c73f635817.jpg
a29f471e87dd135bd5b33fbc1bd8b60f.jpg
eddf17457e2bc8234f2fce73ab776461.jpg
0c127f5862838d745f9599c95fd1a976.jpg
8f9868eedaf756fa2e49ccf67e1019b4.jpg

Last edited:
Well well looky here folks. OEM plugs ordered from Med Center Mazda at $25.82 a peice. It seems to possess the NGK model number too.
Well I guess adding "Mazda" and its part number "PE5R-18-110" on the ceramic insulator is pretty expensive! I imagine the "ILKAR7L11" wording is also on the package then? I may still get OEM plugs but I guess NGK ILKAR7L11 is the same plug.

BTW, please take some comparison pictures between old and new too when you're at it.

Well I guess adding "Mazda" and its part number "PE5R-18-110" on the ceramic insulator is pretty expensive! I imagine the "ILKAR7L11" wording is also on the package then? I may still get OEM plugs but I guess NGK ILKAR7L11 is the same plug.

BTW, please take some comparison pictures between old and new too when you're at it.
I'll check the box when I get back to it.

For sure will check it against the old plugs too.

The Densos are $7.47 from Amazon. The NGKs are $11.46 from AZ, about 50% higher. Then the dealers mark them up double.

The numbers [part numbers and price] suggest the NGKs are the OEMs, and Densos are the ones to avoid. Whoever makes the OEMs are not going to make one version to sell under their marque and another version to sell as "Mazda".

If I were changing mine, I wouldn't hesitate to install the NGKs. If they were a problem, it would have been reported by now. Even if the difference was subtle, somebody would be bitching about it. (2cents)

Agree with that. I have a hard time believing Mazda...tiny Mazda... Came up with brand new plug tech.

Last edited:

As requested..

e5ee54a03dd60edb9d278cf7a2215469.jpg

Yep at this point, despite the insistence of Chris_Top_Her, and OVTuning, that looks like a rebranded, marked-up NGK spark plug to me since it possesses the NGK model numbers.

Can't say for sure that they are exactly the same as I don't know too much about these things, but it sure points to that in my eyes.

Edit: Will look at replacing these later this week, or Saturday. Will let you know what the old ones (original) are.

Last edited:
Back