Unnecessary spark plug replacement?

Are there any good how to out there? Looking to replace plugs on my wifes car tomorrow.

I'll see if I can remember where I saw a "How-To", but it was very easy. All you need is a 14mm spark plug socket, as well as a deep socket extension. You need an 8mm socket (I think it was 8mm) to remove the bolts on the ignition coils, unplug them, and then the coils can be removed pretty easily to access the spark plugs. When installing the new spark plugs, torque them to 12 - 14 ft. lb.

I'll see if I can remember where I saw a "How-To", but it was very easy. All you need is a 14mm spark plug socket, as well as a deep socket extension. You need an 8mm socket (I think it was 8mm) to remove the bolts on the ignition coils, unplug them, and then the coils can be removed pretty easily to access the spark plugs. When installing the new spark plugs, torque them to 12 - 14 ft. lb.

Thank you so much, yeah if you find the How to please post it

CD hit the nail on the head. All you have to do is pull the top cover off of the engine. Theres no screws holding it down if I remember right. Unscrew each coil pack and remove/set them aside (no need to unplug them entirely). Deep 14mm socket with extension to remove the plugs.

Only tip I can add is I used a ~16 length of rubber hose to help thread the new plugs in. I stripped an engine block once years ago and needed to rent a tap to get the new plug in, dont want to make that dumb mistake again. I had some spare hose laying around that was an exact inside diameter to fit the stem of a spark plug into nice and snug. Allows you to lower the spark plug down and thread it by hand by turning the hose. Pull the hose up and out and finish the spark plug with your rachet

Reinstall coils, pop engine cover back on. Done!

Here's a video Felix Dan put out. He's also a member of the forum. Now his video is for cleaning the plugs, but very clearly shows process for removal.

I was going to do my 2016 GT FWD CX-5 spark plugs soon too.

I was going to get the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs to do this. Sounds like quite a few have had success with those ones.

Would like to replace the spark plug wires as well but can't seem to find anything online about them or parts to purchase in order do so. Am I missing something? Or can someone point me in the right direction to complete this work as well?

Spark plug wires?! We are in 2019, not 1968. There are no spark plug wires, only wire harness, that goes to the coils(coil on top of spark plug).

So is that something that needs to be replaced or not? Not finding much on those anywhere either.

So is that something that needs to be replaced or not? Not finding much on those anywhere either.
Like tibimakai said previously, theres no spark plug wires or cables for high-voltage transmission to spark plugs on SkyActiv-G 2.5L. The ignition coil now attached directly on top of each spark plug, no need to have spark plug wires in the old days.

Yeah, change only spark plugs, nothing else. You need a 14mm spark plug socket to do it. And if you want to save money to use NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11 Laser Iridium spark plugs instead of expensive OEM plugs where some tuner strongly suggests to use, make sure to avoid counterfeit NGK plugs. NGK specifically cautions against using ANY anti-seize compound, and you can check but do not gap them either.

It appears replacements can be any of the following. Might be able to track down proper socket that way.

PE01-18-110, PE02-18-110, PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18-110

This is from the FSM.

Spark plug gap [PE01-18-110, PE02-18-110]
Standard: 0.751.10 mm {0.0300.043 in}
New spark plug (reference): 0.750.85 mm {0.0300.033 in} Spark plug gap [PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18-110]
Standard: 1.051.40 mm {0.04140.0551 in}
New spark plug (reference): 1.051.15 mm {0.04140.0452 in}

And if you want to save money to use NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11 Laser Iridium spark plugs instead of expensive OEM plugs.
I was just at the dealer to purchase spark plugs for my CX-5. They were $38.99CAD/each. On each box and on each plug it said PE5R-18-10 / ILKAE7L11. I ended up going to an auto parts store and picking up the 'aftermarket' NGL ILKAE7L11 spark plugs. From what I can see, these are the same OEM plugs used by Mazda and are manufactured by NGK.

I was just at the dealer to purchase spark plugs for my CX-5. They were $38.99CAD/each. On each box and on each plug it said PE5R-18-10 / ILKAE7L11. I ended up going to an auto parts store and picking up the 'aftermarket' NGL ILKAE7L11 spark plugs. From what I can see, these are the same OEM plugs used by Mazda and are manufactured by NGK.

Yep! And much cheaper. No point in buying the OEM plugs.

Only tip I can add is I used a ~16 length of rubber hose to help thread the new plugs in. I stripped an engine block once years ago and needed to rent a tap to get the new plug in, dont want to make that dumb mistake again. I had some spare hose laying around that was an exact inside diameter to fit the stem of a spark plug into nice and snug. Allows you to lower the spark plug down and thread it by hand by turning the hose. Pull the hose up and out and finish the spark plug with your rachet
Good tip, however, a proper spark plug socket will have a rubber insert to help grab the plug and hold it in place while you start to thread it by hand.
Using just any old 14mm deep socket will result in the plug flopping around and possibly resulting in stripped threads.
Either use the proper plug socket, or like you recommend, start installing the plug with the rubber hose.
Cheers.

My 4 cents:

I cleaned the engine cover really good to not let dirt/debris fall into the plug holes.

I replaced plugs for CX-5 at 70k miles. Could've waiting until 90k. Looked in good condition.

*I taped my spark plug socket unto the extension* because the socket would dettach and get stuck in the hole unto the plug.

I did not use anti-seize and I used a torque wrench to torque to spec.

No way those are legit based on price( + Chinese seller).
Hard to tell. Some Mazda OEM parts made in other countries may sell at much lower price. Some has bought 12 Mazda OEM Mexican oil filters for only $34.99 with free shipping from eBay. That’s less than $2.92 each for an OEM oil filter!

Back