Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CX-9 is full of hot air (Literally)

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

Was the engine up to temp? Many modern cars do not shut off the hot coolant that circulates through the heater core even when no heat is requested. There are air control dampers (flaps) in the heating & cooling air system that open or close to give heat or air con air or a mixture of the two. If the flaps do not shut tightly, then it's easy to get the hot air when no heat or cooling is switched on. This will be a warranty item. Sometimes when we complain that the AC is weak, really it the AC running fine but the flaps allowing heated air to sneak by.

So...check the air temp from the vents when the engine is cold. And, check the temp parked in the shade when the engine is warm. If the temp rises with the warm engine, you need the flaps adjusted or repaired, or the operating mechanism fixed. This should be a warranty claim. It might require dismantling the dash, a big job.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

I must be one of the few people who don't have the fan running while AC is off and therefore don't experience this....
    Recent Vehicle History:

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2018-)
    '15 Mazda 6 Touring GJ Series II Sedan 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2015-2018)
    '08 Mazda 3 Maxx Sport BK Series II Sedan 2.0L in Champagne (Family)
    '06 GM Holden Calais VZ Series II Sedan 3.6L in Quicksilver (2006-2015)

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

I'd be toasting Smore's and drying my hair in the morning.

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    Was the engine up to temp? Many modern cars do not shut off the hot coolant that circulates through the heater core even when no heat is requested. There are air control dampers (flaps) in the heating & cooling air system that open or close to give heat or air con air or a mixture of the two. If the flaps do not shut tightly, then it's easy to get the hot air when no heat or cooling is switched on. This will be a warranty item. Sometimes when we complain that the AC is weak, really it the AC running fine but the flaps allowing heated air to sneak by.

So...check the air temp from the vents when the engine is cold. And, check the temp parked in the shade when the engine is warm. If the temp rises with the warm engine, you need the flaps adjusted or repaired, or the operating mechanism fixed. This should be a warranty claim. It might require dismantling the dash, a big job.
    I think you may be correct here. Getting hot air when I don't want it is sporadic -- happens now and again but not all the time. It could well be a sticky vent that gets closed properly when I turn the AC on. I'll notify the dealer when the car goes in for its next service (soon).

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 GS

Over my last two trips, even when the AC is switched on, it simply stops cooling after the first 20 minutes, for that entire trip (say a 50 KMS trip). An engine switch on/switch off helped the first time but cannot be all the time (say if on a freeway). My CX9 is a week old, the outside temperatures are 42-45 degrees C. Anyone else has experienced this, car has done 600kms, waiting for the 1000km inspection.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

Getting hot air when I don't want it is sporadic -- happens now and again but not all the time.
    Make a video with your thermometers. When you are at the dealer it'll never get hot. As soon as you get home it'll be roasting. Show the video to the service writer, maybe even stop in in advance when it is blowing hot air if that's convenient and set up the work for the future date.

Hanpra, just a guess is that some control component is getting too hot and shutting off your system. A complete air conditioning system diagnostic might be needed.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by hanpra View Post
    Over my last two trips, even when the AC is switched on, it simply stops cooling after the first 20 minutes, for that entire trip (say a 50 KMS trip). An engine switch on/switch off helped the first time but cannot be all the time (say if on a freeway). My CX9 is a week old, the outside temperatures are 42-45 degrees C. Anyone else has experienced this, car has done 600kms, waiting for the 1000km inspection.
    That is not normal. I've checked the manual and the only mention of the climate control system may not operate properly is if temperature is around 0C (32F).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12