Engine Bay Concern

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

My engine bay on my 17GT is getting pretty dusty. I was going to hose it down (power wash) from a distance.

While looking at it today, I noticed a group of exposed wires on the drivers side behind the headlight. Are those ok to somewhat get wet (obviously not power wash)? Im not sure how well they will hold up.

Has anyone else power washed their engine bay? Any problems?

I have never used water to clean a engine bay of any car or truck.

Your CX5 is still new. What I use is the same stuff I use for the exterior black trim. With a rag, go over all of your plastic covers and anything black plastic inside. I use a SIO2 formula called Gyeon Preserve. There are lots of trim protection products out there.

As for the wires you could get some shrink tape and seal it up but I don’t think it’s a big problem.

To clarify, the exposed wires you mentioned are actually insulated and not bare wires. Is that correct?

I have never used water to clean a engine bay of any car or truck.

Your CX5 is still new. What I use is the same stuff I use for the exterior black trim. With a rag, go over all of your plastic covers and anything black plastic inside. I use a SIO2 formula called Gyeon Preserve. There are lots of trim protection products out there.

As for the wires you could get some shrink tape and seal it up but I dont think its a big problem.

To clarify, the exposed wires you mentioned are actually insulated and not bare wires. Is that correct?

You are correct!

I use the spot-free-rinse "power" wash. My dealership that I worked for powerwashed the s*** out of the engine bays all the time. NEVER an issue. Good enough for me (some cars sat on the lot a few months afterwards and were driven once a week or so, nothing manifested).

I use grocery bags and foil to wrap the alternator and wiring. I hose down and use a leaf blower to dry.

TIP: Dry out the battery tie down bar immediately. Standing water rusts it....:( OR just avoid the Battery getting wet.

I use the spot-free-rinse "power" wash. My dealership that I worked for powerwashed the s*** out of the engine bays all the time. NEVER an issue. Good enough for me (some cars sat on the lot a few months afterwards and were driven once a week or so, nothing manifested).

My biggest concern is the headlight LEd wiring. I have always power washed cars with HIDs, so I guess that would be worse since they have ballasts.

I detailed my engine bay. Low pressure water from hose to rinse. Then I sprayed Adam's All Purpose Cleaner on all dirty parts, scrubbed with a detailing brush, then rinsed clean, again with low pressure. Then blew dry and dressed all plastic and rubber parts. I didn't need to cover any wiring.

Back