First oil change at the dealership....wow!

Completely agree LBear...I would change it myself but I advised her to go to the dealership for the warranty period so that in case something goes wrong, we would have a proven record of maintenance through their dealer network. Rethinking that now though for sure...

All you need is to save the receipts from the oil and oil filter purchase, right the date and mileage on the receipts of the oil change. That's what I do and you will be covered 100% under the engine warranty.

And that's why I change my own motor oil. You can't trust anyone, even dealerships to do this correctly.

Read the news today, there is a huge shortage of skilled labor. Everyone is going into the IT and business fields and almost nobody is going into the skilled labor field.

Study showed most 18-25 years olds do not know how to change their own motor oil in their cars. It was a staggering 90%. Back when I grew up (1980s), the opposite was true, 90% of teenagers knew how to change motor oil. So it's the 20 year old at the dealership changing your oil. Not the master mechanic who is probably in his 40's or 50's.

By 16 years of age I was changing my own motor oil. Today, most teenagers are clueless when it comes to skilled trades. Builders out here can't find skilled tradesmen so they are bringing them from Mexico. Teenagers and young adults are scared and clueless about manual skilled labor. They believe their smartphones and computers can do everything. Unfortunately there isn't an app which will change your leaking toilet gasket or change your motor oil on your car for you.(wow)

IT professional here. Can't argue with you there. I'm 27 now and only recently started learning how to do maintenance things myself. I had no one teach me anything as neither my parents did their own maintenance either. So call it whatever you want, but it was never in my upbringing to learn those skills from anyone close to me.

Now though I'm changing my own oil, and fixing things around the condo myself. Nothing big, but the leaking toilet, replacing the garbage disposal, etc. Gotta start somewhere.

Last edited:
This happened to me a few years back at the Ford dealership. Picked up the car after an oil change and drove ~2 miles home. Opened the garage door and pulled in the garage. As I stepped around back to close the garage door, I noticed a huge puddle of fresh oil in the driveway. Looked under the car and a huge puddle there as well. I immediately took the car back to the dealership. There was oil all over the service drive-through floor and they were frantically trying to find the vehicle it came from. I walked in and told them about my car. So they pulled it in the bay and found the tech had incorrectly installed the oil filter and had pinched the gasket allowing the oil to leak out. They apologized profusely and gave me the next two oil changes for free. Needless to say, they did not get a good review from me this time around.

This happened to me a few years back at the Ford dealership. Picked up the car after an oil change and drove ~2 miles home. Opened the garage door and pulled in the garage. As I stepped around back to close the garage door, I noticed a huge puddle of fresh oil in the driveway. Looked under the car and a huge puddle there as well. I immediately took the car back to the dealership. There was oil all over the service drive-through floor and they were frantically trying to find the vehicle it came from. I walked in and told them about my car. So they pulled it in the bay and found the tech had incorrectly installed the oil filter and had pinched the gasket allowing the oil to leak out. They apologized profusely and gave me the next two oil changes for free. Needless to say, they did not get a good review from me this time around.

Glad there was no engine damage

I passed the car on to my parents when I bought my Mazda. It had over 150,000 on it at the time and they still drive it today but don't put many miles on it. Probably around 160K on the odo now. It was a good car for being the first year model Fusion, hardly any issues with it over the 10 years I owned it. I believe since I caught the leak early it helped. Who knows what would have happened if I had left the dealership and headed anywhere else but home!

I passed the car on to my parents when I bought my Mazda. It had over 150,000 on it at the time and they still drive it today but don't put many miles on it. Probably around 160K on the odo now. It was a good car for being the first year model Fusion, hardly any issues with it over the 10 years I owned it. I believe since I caught the leak early it helped. Who knows what would have happened if I had left the dealership and headed anywhere else but home!

Quality control varies vastly from s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶e̶r̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ dealership to dealership

Check the oil level before starting it up.

The 17 has the access panel and everything is right there.

I would change the oil from here on out.

Check the oil level before starting it up.

The 17 has the access panel and everything is right there.

I would change the oil from here on out.

Always check the oil level when the engine is cold making sure the CX-5 is on a level surface :)

I've never built a home before and going on of my skills I learned as a teenager and young adult. I tackled the project and today, I can say I built my own home and it's perfect. Everything I did either I did myself or I supervised the trades. I saved around $60,000 by doing the work myself.

There's a stigma today that working a trade is for "dumb" people and only IT work is for intelligent people. That's absolutely not true. Yet, that is the stigma today. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs talks about this and even petitioned congress about it.

That's why teenagers and young adults, most of them today, cannot do simple mechanical skills like changing the oil or even repairing household issues.

Last edited:
I've never built a home before and going on of my skills I learned as a teenager and young adult. I tackled the project and today, I can say I built my own home and it's perfect. Everything I did either I did myself or I supervised the trades. I saved around $60,000 by doing the work myself.

There's a stigma today that working a trade is for "dumb" people and only IT work is for intelligent people. That's absolutely not true. Yet, that is the stigma today. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs talks about this and even petitioned congress about it.

That's why teenagers and young adults, most of them today, cannot do simple mechanical skills like changing the oil or even repairing household issues.

It's because why repair something when you can throw it out and get a new one

Wow!

If it were my car I would remove the small access cover and have a look see. Either the drain plug fell out because the 'tech' didn't tighten it or the oil filter wasn't installed correctly. I wouldn't drive the car anywhere in this condition!

That said, no one works on my cars except me. Warranty work might be the exception and even then I may opt to do it myself.

Coincidently, I'll be doing just that today. It's time for an oil change for my CX.

Last edited:
Im on the railway now and when we root cause incidents, there is an immediate cause, an underlying cause and if a root cause can be identified, it is ALWAYS down to management.

Im in management and have fired multiple slackers despite documented training. No excuse for messing up an oil change. Now if management tolerates slackers then it spreads like cancer throughout the organization. The less you know the higher you go.

So true, but the same generation that can’t change their own oil also functions poorly in business. They get their entitlement degree and can’t fuction in the real world leaking mental oil everywhere. Gone is the days when dad taught you how to change a tire. Now dad can’t do it either!

We took the car back to the dealership this morning (I checked the oil level before leaving and it was near the max) to have them correct their mistake. The people working the front were apologetic and got it taken care of pretty quickly. They power-washed all of the plastic pieces that had oil all over them and gave us a mat to try and help get the oil off of the driveway. They also offered my wife a free oil change...we'll see if she decides to give them another chance.

The problem turned out to be that when they re-installed the oil drain plug, they didn't tighten it enough to crush the washer. According to the service manager, the leak was coming through the un-crushed washer.

We took the car back to the dealership this morning (I checked the oil level before leaving and it was near the max) to have them correct their mistake. The people working the front were apologetic and got it taken care of pretty quickly. They power-washed all of the plastic pieces that had oil all over them and gave us a mat to try and help get the oil off of the driveway. They also offered my wife a free oil change...we'll see if she decides to give them another chance.

The problem turned out to be that when they re-installed the oil drain plug, they didn't tighten it enough to crush the washer. According to the service manager, the leak was coming through the un-crushed washer.

It sounds as if they did treat you well and acknowledged their error. They must realize that any other customer might not have paid attention and things could have gotten far worse.

It sounds like you went in without “guns blazing” based on your comment. I do find that approach works best and you get treated better. Of course there are times when it’s hard not to be angry.

Good to hear it worked out.

Man, that's some amateur hour bulls*** though, that they did not put on the drain plug properly. That's why I use my torque wrench and torque it to the correct spec.

Back