First oil change at the dealership....wow!

I'd be on the phone to the service manager or maybe take it in and show him first hand.

Yeah, I tried calling and going up there but they are closed today. Will be in there first thing tomorrow though. I'm scared to have her drive it like that so I'm having to take off work to chauffer her around until it can get fixed...

And that's why I change my own motor oil. You can't trust anyone, even dealerships to do this correctly.

Read the news today, there is a huge shortage of skilled labor. Everyone is going into the IT and business fields and almost nobody is going into the skilled labor field.

Study showed most 18-25 years olds do not know how to change their own motor oil in their cars. It was a staggering 90%. Back when I grew up (1980s), the opposite was true, 90% of teenagers knew how to change motor oil. So it's the 20 year old at the dealership changing your oil. Not the master mechanic who is probably in his 40's or 50's.

By 16 years of age I was changing my own motor oil. Today, most teenagers are clueless when it comes to skilled trades. Builders out here can't find skilled tradesmen so they are bringing them from Mexico. Teenagers and young adults are scared and clueless about manual skilled labor. They believe their smartphones and computers can do everything. Unfortunately there isn't an app which will change your leaking toilet gasket or change your motor oil on your car for you.(wow)

Last edited:
Completely agree LBear...I would change it myself but I advised her to go to the dealership for the warranty period so that in case something goes wrong, we would have a proven record of maintenance through their dealer network. Rethinking that now though for sure...

A trend is developing as our economy improves. The level of service and it's workers are declining as new workers move into the service sector of the economy. People are moving up the food chain and those that are moving into the economy are not as skilled as those they replace. I see it in hotels and the food service industry. I see McDonalds are going to kiosk centers for food ordering, the $15 an hour thing is being bypassed by kiosks. I have been saying for a few years now, the company Sheetz, (fuel and food) are on the cutting edge of the kiosk ordering trend. The only human interaction you have is paying at the register, order is handled by touch screen selection.

What were we looking at? Looks like a blue rag in two pictures and a heat shield in another with some oil stains?

Time to find another dealer.
Check the oil level before you drive it again!

I can see it from both sides. I absolutely insist on changing my own oil but have that entire cover off for a looksee while I’m at it. I just pay the dealer for a discounted service and we co-exist like that.

You really ought to be able to trust a dealer but the real mechanics these days are tied up doing the skilled stuff and they have a number of semi-skilled hands doing the more routine work. It clearly doesn’t work but do you blame the lad or the boss that hired him? It’s the way of the world I’m afraid.

It clearly doesn’t work but do you blame the lad or the boss that hired him? .

Blame the boss who doesn't train him properly, and then doesn't supervise him.
Unless the lad's a slacker.

Blame the boss who doesn't train him properly, and then doesn't supervise him.
Unless the lad's a slacker.

I’m on the railway now and when we root cause incidents, there is an immediate cause, an underlying cause and if a root cause can be identified, it is ALWAYS down to management.

What were we looking at? Looks like a blue rag in two pictures and a heat shield in another with some oil stains?

There is no blue rag...In that first picture, the blue is a pool of oil leaking through the cover. The second picture is just to show how far back it is making a mess. The third picture is the pool of oil in the driveway from sitting over night (1 night).

I could hear you swearing all the way at my house! (pissed) (rant)

Lol! The icing on the cake is that they made it a point to charge her FULL price because she didn't buy the car from their dealership. I guess if you buy a car from them, you get a discounted oil change and the oil drain plug properly torqued.

Wow!!! I feel your pain...

How exactly does one make that kind of mess? I know on my '15 once that door is down everything should drop straight down. Are the underside plastics different on the '17+

Back