Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First oil change at the dealership....wow!

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by DurtyByrd View Post
    There is no blue rag...In that first picture, the blue is a pool of oil leaking through the cover. The second picture is just to show how far back it is making a mess. The third picture is the pool of oil in the driveway from sitting over night (1 night).
    Wait why the color blue though....unless its a reflection of the driveway tricking the camera.

Registered Member

2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L RWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Wait why the color blue though....unless its a reflection of the driveway tricking the camera.
    I did have a blue beach towel on the ground to lay on while snapping pictures. That is most likely the source of the blue reflection in the photo.

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

As Ronald Reagan used to say and this applies to work done at the dealer -- Trust but Verify.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Always
    Recent Vehicle History:

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2018-)
    '15 Mazda 6 Touring GJ Series II Sedan 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2015-2018)
    '08 Mazda 3 Maxx Sport BK Series II Sedan 2.0L in Champagne (Family)
    '06 GM Holden Calais VZ Series II Sedan 3.6L in Quicksilver (2006-2015)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    As Ronald Reagan used to say and this applies to work done at the dealer -- Trust but Verify.

Most definitely. One of my favorite quotes.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Man, that is a crappy dealer.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    Most definitely. One of my favorite quotes.
    Dad taught me to always do a walk around, and pop the hood at the dealer before you leave, after you get work done. (detect)

Unfortunately this wouldn't have helped you in this instance, but good thing for all that the oil level did not reach critical. (boom02)

Throughout 30 years of getting vehicles serviced, (not just Mazda's), I have found the dipstick laying in the fender channel, the oil filler cap left off, the air filter housing not clamped together, mechanics tools left behind underhood, etc.
    Last edited by mazdadude; 06-12-2018 at 07:50 AM.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    Dad taught me to always do a walk around, and pop the hood at the dealer before you leave, after you get work done. (detect)
    This is a good rule to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    For me, it had nothing to do with thinking trade work is dumb. I have a huge amount of respect for people that do trade work because you have to be incredibly smart and talented to do things like plumbing, electricity, mechanical engineering, construction, etc. skillfully and correctly. But consider the times. This has been the computer age for a while now. That doesn't mean trades are going away, quite the contrary, but it does mean that you have less and less exposure to those skills and learning them. .
    As usual, I agree with my younger brother. I swear we must have been separated at birth.
    I fell into IT. It was an odd career path. But I absolutely have always had respect for mechanics, and plumbers, and HVAC guys. MAD respect for plumbers. I cannot even imagine some of the, yea, I'll say it: shit they've had to deal with. If I didn't land in IT I'm sure I would be doing something more 'skilled', if you will.

Also, as my brother said, times have changed. In 1970... hell in 1980... there wasn't a 5 minute oil change place at every corner.

ALTHOUGH in the modern days defense... in 1980 we didn't have YouTube. ANYBODY should be able to change oil today by doing a 2 second YouTube search, amirite?

As to OP's issue... hey... mistakes do happen. Can we be a little more forgiving since there was no long term damage done and OP was smart enough to catch it. Although I'd be making the dealer clean my damn driveway. You betcha.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    As usual, I agree with my younger brother. I swear we must have been separated at birth.
    I fell into IT. It was an odd career path. But I absolutely have always had respect for mechanics, and plumbers, and HVAC guys. MAD respect for plumbers. I cannot even imagine some of the, yea, I'll say it: shit they've had to deal with. If I didn't land in IT I'm sure I would be doing something more 'skilled', if you will.

Also, as my brother said, times have changed. In 1970... hell in 1980... there wasn't a 5 minute oil change place at every corner.

ALTHOUGH in the modern days defense... in 1980 we didn't have YouTube. ANYBODY should be able to change oil today by doing a 2 second YouTube search, amirite?

As to OP's issue... hey... mistakes do happen. Can we be a little more forgiving since there was no long term damage done and OP was smart enough to catch it. Although I'd be making the dealer clean my damn driveway. You betcha.
    Cheers!

Too true on the youtube point. But it also means you have to take the initiative to want to learn those things. I for one, am glad I did!

'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White

I'd learned this long time ago. Now, I've been doing my oil changes since day 1 of a car.

Whomever uses dealers for oil changes gets lowest quality service possible. Period.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234