Any word on 2019 changes?

vtecman

I’m pretty sure Birdseye view and Apple CarPlay/ android auto will be added. But has anyone heard about anything else changing for 2019?

The 360 camera on Mazda 6 is extremely cheap and funky. Hopefully cx9 gets a better one which I doubt. When others are at version 10.0, Mazda is still rolling out version 1.0 of their electronics.

The 360 camera on Mazda 6 is extremely cheap and funky. Hopefully cx9 gets a better one which I doubt. When others are at version 10.0, Mazda is still rolling out version 1.0 of their electronics.

That’s really too bad. The camera is basically the only thing holding me back from getting one.

I'm guessing since the 6 also received ventilated seats this year, the CX-9 would have to. It's the only thing I'm bummed about not having on my '18. As it is, the flagship CX-9 should have gotten it before the 6. 2018 CX-9 no ventilated seats, 2018 Mazda6 does. CX-9 costs $15K more for similar trims.

While I have not heard or seen anything in the press yet, I think that you can safely assume that the 2019 CX-9 will have some further tweaks to address the critics, including the AA/Apple carplay, the ventilated seats, the 360 camera. I do not think we will see much more than that for the 2019, and 2020 models, and then next gen would be due for 2021.

I'm guessing since the 6 also received ventilated seats this year, the CX-9 would have to. It's the only thing I'm bummed about not having on my '18. As it is, the flagship CX-9 should have gotten it before the 6. 2018 CX-9 no ventilated seats, 2018 Mazda6 does. CX-9 costs $15K more for similar trims.
Agree with this.

In my CX-5 which has this 360 camera (view monitor), for me it is not as bad as everyone makes out.

The 360 component is fine (left hand side of split screen) - you can see clearly the vehicle surround.

As for the actual camera image (right hand side of split screen) - yes it is a little bit warped but I can still see objects clearly enough be it during the day, when it is raining, inside a shopping centre car park and at night.

It actually appears worse than it is if you are watching a YouTube video showing it in action.

While I have not heard or seen anything in the press yet, I think that you can safely assume that the 2019 CX-9 will have some further tweaks to address the critics, including the AA/Apple carplay, the ventilated seats, the 360 camera. I do not think we will see much more than that for the 2019, and 2020 models, and then next gen would be due for 2021.

This is probably about right.

is it too much to ask for power folding mirrors?

Ask Mazda North America HQ since they are the ones who determine what features you should get.

Here in Oz land, we received it as part of the 2017 model update (H version)

The redesign likely won't happen until 2023 or 24 if Mazda sticks to form. The last generation sold for 9 years with two facelifts over that time. I'd expect a facelift in a year or two and continuous tweaks to features and content.

The redesign likely won't happen until 2023 or 24 if Mazda sticks to form. The last generation sold for 9 years with two facelifts over that time. I'd expect a facelift in a year or two and continuous tweaks to features and content.

I would not put money on that.

The market has become fairly competitive and they can't survive with just face-lifts. They left the previous generation CX-9 too long as is with just some face-lifts.

Look at the CX-5. Was released in 2012/2013, face-lifted circa 2015, redesigned (at least sheet metal, underpinning essentially still the same) in 2017 because of increased competition. So that's 5-6 years not 9 years.

I suspect the CX-9 will follow the same route.

I would not put money on that.

The market has become fairly competitive and they can't survive with just face-lifts. They left the previous generation CX-9 too long as is with just some face-lifts.

Look at the CX-5. Was released in 2012/2013, face-lifted circa 2015, redesigned (at least sheet metal, underpinning essentially still the same) in 2017 because of increased competition. So that's 5-6 years not 9 years.

I suspect the CX-9 will follow the same route.

The larger crossovers/SUV's historically run longer life cycles than most other segments. This is for all brands.

I would put money on 2022 being the earliest redesign year. That would be 6 years. Remember too that the launch year (2016) came 6-8 months later than the normal fall release period.

The Explorer is currently in year 6 and somehow remains #1 (oh yeah, fleet sales).

The larger crossovers/SUV's historically run longer life cycles than most other segments. This is for all brands.

I would put money on 2022 being the earliest redesign year. That would be 6 years. Remember too that the launch year (2016) came 6-8 months later than the normal fall release period.

The Explorer is currently in year 6 and somehow remains #1 (oh yeah, fleet sales).

In all cases not anymore. BMW X5 has just been updated after only 4 years. I suspect others won't go the distance like they used to.

is it too much to ask for power folding mirrors?

+1

Or at least "Memory" to the driver's seat setting.

I never understood the desire for power folding mirrors. The mirrors already easily fold if you want to fold them or if accidentally struck.

Give me different ride modes, or an adjustable suspension instead.

I'd like to see the ventilated seats, I could pass on the 360 degree camera.
Memory mirrors to seat and tilt down reverse should be easy to add.

The Connect system is looking dated now in it's 4 year already. A revamp would be nice. Tire Pressure monitoring displayed of all 4 wheels is on my list.

Most of all is getting rid of the piano black finish on the GT and lower models. Love the wood in the Signature.

The big new thing that I hope Mazda will have soon is Lane Centering (Like Volvos Pilot Assist and now even available in Nissans Rogue as ProPilot Assist.) NOTE that on Mazdas corp website under safety they describe LANE TRACE that states, When Lane Trace is selected the system reduces the burden of driving by providing continuous steering assistance to help keep the vehicle centered in its lane I WANT THAT IN MY NEXT CX-9!

I never understood the desire for power folding mirrors. The mirrors already easily fold if you want to fold them or if accidentally struck.

Give me different ride modes, or an adjustable suspension instead.

And get out and have to manually fold each side? -- ain't nobody got time for that!

And to say that they fold if they are struck--I'm not sure what kind of impact you think the glass with withstand if they are "accidentally struck", but I'm sure if you poll city dwellers that parallel park, they have an opinion on it.....

Last edited:
I''d love to have power folding mirrors, I feel like they're one of the things that I would personally appreciate the most. Honorable mentions go to the 360 cam, articulating lines for the back up cam, and functional fog lights. Would be nice if they added a windshield treatment (tint) to offset the additional cabin heat generated by the thicker windshield.

Back