Lease Payments - JUST the Basics

Seemed to me he just wanted a separate thread on pricing of leases since perusing our main pricing thread could be arduos if you want just lease prices.
But believe me,I know all about going ot. [emoji2]

Over time, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that really matters is the bottom line-- the monthly payment.

This EXACTLY...that's why I started the post and not one person gave me the basics. Again all I wanted was:

Duration
Money Down
Miles per year
Monthly Payment

I too used to get all worked up over the residual, price they were giving me the car for, percentage rate until i realized ALL that mattered was the monthly payment and what fit in my budget. I found if you go to 3 different dealerships with a number and keep negotiating down once 2 drop out you got a great price. Also, I never go to the dealership to negotiate. It's always e-mail or phone. I don't like to be trapped.

Since we think alike, and your frustration is showing, let me be the first. Mine is very unusual, however, since I gave them my old car for a substantial downpayment, so it's not much use for comparison. Every other time I have gone 0 down [the "only" way to go]. But since I happened [unusually] to own my last car, I used the equity.

The thing to remember about leasing is that, just like with sales, they'll throw lots of numbers at you to just muddy the waters and wear you down. You know: "dazzle them with brilliance, and blind them with bulls***." I always get the best deal I can via phone or email also to avoid that trapped and manipulated feeling that's built in to every dealership.

The other thing you also need to ask is "what". No use comparing a loaded GT to a Sport.

What 2017 GT AWD w/ tech and no dealer accessories
Duration 36 mo
Money Down $5800
Miles per year 10k
Monthly Payment $222.27

Didn't help much, did it?!

OK, 7, here's your opportunity to respond ON topic. ;)

I got nothing to add. [emoji2]
We leased one car. Then bought it. I'm no help here.

Yea, I remember that. I made a comment somewhere and you replied about thinking I bought. Must have missed my reply that I did not.

LeasED. Past tense. Wife's Volvo.
Otherwise would have said "am leasing". [emoji106]
@Nelson: purchased E plan.

What bugs me about leasing in Maine is our expensive excise taxes due upon registration.

By the time they begin to get somewhat reasonable the lease is up and youre back to paying the higher rates again.

Last edited:
What bugs me about leasing in Maine is our expensive excise taxes due upon registration.

By the time they begin to get somewhat reasonable the lease is up and you’re back to paying the higher rates again.

What are your registration fees like?

2013 mine was like $650 and gradually started going down every year. Last year was still over $300, and this year it finally sent down to "only" $187.

I love Colorado, but damn these yearly registration fees that they started doing like this in 2006. When I was still driving the 98 Jeep it was like $10-$20/year and then in 2006 it was suddenly $100/year. Sucks.

Edit: I should clarify that that's the licensing fee and the "ownership tax". Blech

My director at work was telling us how his friend bought a high-price truck and his registration was a few thousand. Yikes!

Last edited:
Why was I thinking you leased your CX-5? Or am I thinking of someone else?

LeasED. Past tense. Wife's Volvo.
Otherwise would have said "am leasing". [emoji106]
@Nelson: purchased E plan.

The beauty of English.
I leased my CX-5. Present tense or past tense.
Ambiguity and multiple meanings run rampant.
It's one reason your lawyers are wealthy.

Leased is past tense. Leasing is current. It's really not ambiguous.
If you say "I got my car today, I leased it"....you're not using proper English.

What are your registration fees like?

2013 mine was like $650 and gradually started going down every year. Last year was still over $300, and this year it finally sent down to "only" $187.

I love Colorado, but damn these yearly registration fees that they started doing like this in 2006. When I was still driving the 98 Jeep it was like $10-$20/year and then in 2006 it was suddenly $100/year. Sucks.

Edit: I should clarify that that's the licensing fee and the "ownership tax". Blech

My director at work was telling us how his friend bought a high-price truck and his registration was a few thousand. Yikes!

CD- yours sound similar to ours. But it doesnt help incentivize buying a newer more fuel efficient vehicle when any savings gets canceled out by higher taxes.

http://www.maine.gov/revenue/propertytax/sidebar/excisetax.htm

Leased is past tense. Leasing is current. It's really not ambiguous.
If you say "I got my car today, I leased it"....you're not using proper English.

You rite, bro, I speak Mericun.
There ain't no such thing as "proper English".(rofl2)

The thing to remember about leasing is that, just like with sales, they'll throw lots of numbers at you to just muddy the waters and wear you down. You know: "dazzle them with brilliance, and blind them with bulls***." I always get the best deal I can via phone or email also to avoid that trapped and manipulated feeling that's built in to every dealership.

EXACTLY "muddy the waters" and yes I forgot to add "Trim Level" with accessories. I don't know what your situation was but $5,800 is a lot to put down due to the fact you can pull out of the dealership the day you take delivery and get hit. Car's totaled and your out $5,800. I'm sure your reason made sense to your current situation. I always put $0 down.

Let's try this again since you were the only one that answered the question I'm looking for:

Trim Level
Duration
Money Down
Miles a year
Monthly cost

I'd never put 0 down on a lease. If I was doing that I'd just buy.

2018 Touring AWD with Preferred Equipment Package
$1,000 Down
36 months
10k a year
$370 (included 1st payment and all fees) Negotiated $350, but my credit score just missed Tier 1
I was willing to lose a few options if I could go down to $330, but also willing to pay up to $400 for a GT. I'm happy with the deal.
Anyone return their lease before the 36 months?

Back