Lease Payments - JUST the Basics

2018 Touring AWD with Preferred Equipment Package
$1,000 Down
36 months
10k a year
$370 (included 1st payment and all fees) Negotiated $350, but my credit score just missed Tier 1
I was willing to lose a few options if I could go down to $330, but also willing to pay up to $400 for a GT. I'm happy with the deal.
Anyone return their lease before the 36 months?

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for...anyone else?

I just leased a 2018 Mazda CX5 GT without premium package on 6/19. Machine Gray Metallic *AWD*
MSRP $32,220
Sale Price 29,490
Total rebates: $1110 ($750 Lease loyalty plus $360 loyalty cash)
1st Month Payment $319.89..no money down!!
36,000 Mile/36 month Lease
**The deals are out there but you really have to do your research. $55/ month spread among dealerships in PA/NJ/DE AREA**
Absolutely love the new CX5!!

^That sounds pretty good- enjoy! but not quite as good as my first lease attempt:
2015 BMW X1 Sdrive Msport package and just about every option other than AWD..44xxx MSRP:
995 acq fee
248/mo - 271 total with taxes rolled in
10k/year
car had a few "executive" k on it at inception
19" staggered Pzero run flats it came with have been merely occupying space in my garage for almost the entire term but whatever no way they were going to survive..probably would've gone through 2 sets of rears(burnout)

Q: Are residuals negotiable at lease end?

Last edited:
The majority of people who need to listen to Dave Ramsey, are those people that are really broke, living paycheck to paycheck and are buying more car than they can afford. For those people, leasing should not even be an option. Even buying new cars are not an option. Their goal first and foremost is to get out of debt. Leasing keeps them in debt so that is not an option, buying a new car costs more than buying a used car with cash.

The benefit of paying cash for a car or paying off car, is not having monthly payments. What if you lose your job? Having no monthly payments is a big boon since you don't have to worry about it. As a last resort, if you really need extra money, you can even sell your paid off car for cash. If someone who was broke, leased a car, then lost their job, they are pretty much screwed.

That said, while Dave Ramsey's advice/rules can be a bit extreme, they are generally good advice to follow if you want to get out of debt, stay out of debt and achieve financial independence. I for one want to retire at 50. I want to spend my day riding my bikes, playing video games and spending time with family. I don't want to work forever. This is another reason why leasing cars is a no go for me. My Speed3 is already 5 years old and while I am thinking of replacing it with something else, if I really think about it, there's nothing wrong with it. While it might not be the newest or faster car out on the road, it is the car that will drive me fastest to retirement.

This is not to say leasing is bad. As I have said before, there are pros and cons for each option. If you can afford it, and I mean really "afford" it, then you should be allowed to lease. I don't think anyone can deny that being able to drive a new car every 3 years is fun.

Just did some reading on this post. Life is about balance. What is the point if you are trying to save every penny now and get hit by the bus tomorrow? My family has gone through a few tragedies and life is not guaranteed. Enjoy while you can, don't leverage too much in the future.

Agreed although I tend to take it too far the other way. [emoji16]

Back