Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust: side view mirrors

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Yes, I think I’d take it off and dunk it hot water or get the heat gun going on that.
    Probably not a bad way to go. The other hard part though was also putting the mirror back on into the new housing. You had to get it to connect correctly to all these little plastic pieces, the ones that adjust it when you use the mirror adjustment controls.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

What does power mirrors mean in this situation? A motor to adjust the mirror face or a motor to fold the mirrors? Might explain the confusion between yrwei52 and Anchorman, as Europeans are usually offered the power folding option. Iím unaware of any manually adjusted mirror faces on the CX5... I assumed even the sport had motors to adjust the glass face.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    What does power mirrors mean in this situation? A motor to adjust the mirror face or a motor to fold the mirrors? Might explain the confusion between yrwei52 and Anchorman, as Europeans are usually offered the power folding option. I’m unaware of any manually adjusted mirror faces on the CX5... I assumed even the sport had motors to adjust the glass face.
    That must be the case. In this review we see a bare bones 2013 Sport model and it has power mirrors: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/in...threads/43832/

2017 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    What does power mirrors mean in this situation? A motor to adjust the mirror face or a motor to fold the mirrors? Might explain the confusion between yrwei52 and Anchorman, as Europeans are usually offered the power folding option. I’m unaware of any manually adjusted mirror faces on the CX5... I assumed even the sport had motors to adjust the glass face.
    Good point, I was referring to the motor that folds the mirrors back. A lot is explained in the TSB which explains the failure mode and the long drawn out procedure for modifying mirrors. It’s the most colourful detailed TSB you can imagine but it’s 3.2 Mb so no chance of me attaching it. Anyway, in there it explains that some mirrors have an alloy die cast backplate and some are plastic which obviously won’t get the white residue problem. On my last 17, it failed in the same way and when I examined the shrapnel left from the obliging truck I could see that the folding worm drive was completely rusted despite being covered in grease. The TSB only includes KE but it certainly effects KFs too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12