I plan on buying new wheels/tires; looking for a second opinion

Riot_Polizei

Comp Engineering Student
:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hello again folks,

I'm in no real hurry, as I'm still doing research. For whenever I buy new tires and wheels, I plan on going with different dimensions. This is mostly for time attack, so that I don't burn up my all seasons anymore than I already have. Plus, I want to spruce up the look of my car a bit.

My goals are:
  • Wider wheel to allow for a wider tire (wider contact patch)
  • Keep same size diameter as stock (16") in order to keep weight down
  • Wider track for a slightly more flush look to the fenders (mostly for looks; not going for "hellaflush" by any means)

So, after looking around a bit on the forums, I came up with a few bits of info that I think will help me in my decision making. In fact, I saw what may be the exact set up I was thinking about going for (different rim, though):

16" x 7" 205/50(W?)R16 (Wedsport SA-90) (offset +33, according to the specs of the wheel I looked up)

What I know is that I really like the look of that setup's fitment, but am wondering if I can go a half-inch or an inch wider without any problems, and what the offset would have to be. If not, then I'm alright. Still doing research, after all.

I'm somewhat swamped in information, and all these tire specs and distances to suspension/fender and tire profile stuff have my head spinning.

In one last attempt to make things clear, I'm thinking about:

16" x 7" wheel with 205/50R16 tires; (+44 => offset => +33), but I don't know what sort of offset I should be shooting for for a nice look + proper fitment. Also don't know how wide I can go.

Sorry if this post is confusing. I'm trying to understand wheel and tire specs, and would rather not buy something that won't fit!

Thanks for your help.

The wider the wheel, the less positive offset you need to clear the strut. Go too wide, and you'll have rubbing issues, especially if you're lowered.

I have 17x7s with +35. The are flush in the rear, and just barely tucked in the front. With a 215/40 I had some rubbing in the rear, with a 205/40 it is no longer an issue.

I think a 7" wheel with a +33 offset would fit just fine. You'd be nearly flush in the rear, maybe a little poke, but not much.

Although 205/50 is not much of an upgrade, unless you have the factory size tire. 205s are what most people run on the stock wheels, as they are cheaper and there is a much better selection.

IIRC, mine are 17x7 with +45???? running 205/40/17s......rr drvr side might barely touch inside lip of rr bumper if big bump with full tank of gas but otherwise very rare occurance and plastic on rubber not threat to tire. Does barely clear quarter panel metal. Up front no issues. Lowered 1.5 all around.

7.5 with a 225 is possible with a fender roll. +48 is the magic number. (drive2)

Here's a pic of my old car on 18x7.5 +48 with 215/40 tires. I'm running 225s on my bone-stock msp with no problem.
ard_N8.jpg

Last edited:
The wider the wheel, the less positive offset you need to clear the strut. Go too wide, and you'll have rubbing issues, especially if you're lowered...I think a 7" wheel with a +33 offset would fit just fine. You'd be nearly flush in the rear, maybe a little poke, but not much.

You mean a 16" x 7" or a 17" x 7" for a +33 offset?

Currently, there's a wheel that caught my eye that is 16" x 17" +40; what do you think that would look like?

IIRC, mine are 17x7 with +45???? running 205/40/17s......rr drvr side might barely touch inside lip of rr bumper if big bump with full tank of gas but otherwise very rare occurance and plastic on rubber not threat to tire. Does barely clear quarter panel metal. Up front no issues. Lowered 1.5 all around.

Huh, alright; relative to your specs, if I go with a 16" x 7" wheel at +40 with a relatively stock tire size, I probably won't have much of an issue, right? Granted my struts are OEM, but I don't think there'll be that much of an issue. Would the wheel size + tire be nearly flush with the fender, or at least a lot closer to it?

To be honest, rubbing slightly scares me lol. If you're on a track and you rub, you can easily destabilize your car.

7.5 with a 225 is possible with a fender roll. +48 is the magic number. (drive2)

Here's a pic of my old car on 18x7.5 +48 with 215/40 tires. I'm running 225s on my bone-stock msp with no problem.

Holy s***, I've never seen an 18" fitted to a P5 before! How's the ride on those? And ultimately, how did you go about calculating whether or not it would all fit? That couldn't of been too easy of a process.

Some people ran RX8 18" rims with some 35 series tires, forgot which width.............mine may just be 17x7.5, not sure, been a decade or more since I paid any attention to those specs. Mine doesn't really actually rub, barely touches at bottom stroke of strut, very rare. Never has been issue for tire or driving. I have brand new Espelirs in a box that need to replace my tired old whatever brand springs I put on it 14 yrs ago and I also have some Teins. Either set will be big improvement. The Illuminas will probably appreciate me stop being lazy about swapping them out too. Might not even rub any more after that at all.....I'm expecting.

Not a tire/wheel combo guru about other setups and what not, was just providing reference stats..............

My stance looks about same as pic above only skinnier tire and closer to the ground...........

323F_Mar2012_09.JPG

323F_Mar2012_05.JPG

Last edited:
Back