2017~2024 Light Sensitivity

:
Mazda CX 5,2018
Hi guys,

First post but Ive been quietly stalking you all since I got my first Mazda three weeks ago. Really good forum and was instrumental in helping me decide to buy a CX5.

One thing I cant seem to find out in the manual or online is a definitive answer on the sensitivity of the auto headlights. Does high mean the lights will come on sooner or later? (I.e. when natural light starts to dim, or when its noticeabky darker?)

Thanks
G

Welcome!

From the manual, the settings are:

Light/
Medium Light/
Medium/
Medium Dark/
Dark

Default is medium.

So basically darker means it needs to be fairly dark for them to come on. If you set it to light then they come on sooner. The rest of the settings are in between

In the US it isnt listed as light to dark but rather how sensitive the sensors are. Honestly, I kicked my sensors down to the lowest possible sensitivity because when it was cloudy I would see my lights auto kick on and off at random. I want them to only come on if its really necessary. So yes high sensitivity means that the auto headlights will trigger with more light out than it would on the lowest setting. Another thing I would recommend changing to the lowest setting (smallest distance) is the auto brake. The default setting is way too sensitive and after my car slammed on the brake once and almost got me rear ended I put it on the lowest distance to recognize when to brake

Last edited:
Thanks guys. In my manual its listed at High to Low sensitivity.

But online there seems to be desbate as to which one means theyll come on sooner. I assume that high sensitivity means lights will come on sooner, but to test that I need to be driving at the right time and also do it again with the low setting on 😂

Thanks guys. In my manual its listed at High to Low sensitivity.

But online there seems to be desbate as to which one means theyll come on sooner. I assume that high sensitivity means lights will come on sooner, but to test that I need to be driving at the right time and also do it again with the low setting on 😂

Theres no debate; Ive tested it. High sens means lights come on soonerthe sensors sensitivity is at the max meaning its more sensitive to light. I dont like it because its finicky and on cloudy or rainy days it will constantly turn on and off.

FYI - the information I gave above was actually from 2017 UK manual.

Back