Which 0W20 Oil Brand?

I've been using Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum with a Mazda filter. Up here, Canadian Tire puts on their synthetic oils all the time. Goes in a cycle, Castrol, Mobil1, Pennzoil. Usually cuts the price from $60 to $35-ish for a 5L jug.

Mine are 10-11$ a quart at my dealership for the OEM Moly.

They charge $79 for a Royal Purple oil change.

They charge $59 for a Castrol oil change.

CX Sum and others: Yes - that's almost my price. When I said / offered I'll buy a full case (which equals 2 oil changes) that's when the price dropped, significantly.

I just put 5w30 again. Ow20 gave me a lot of product in the catch can

I just put 5w30 again. Ow20 gave me a lot of product in the catch can

Direct Injection / Cold starts / Thin oil

You have eliminated one of these in the fight against Fuel Dilution.

Which 5w30 did you go with. You think 5w20 should work?

Direct Injection / Cold starts / Thin oil

You have eliminated one of these in the fight against Fuel Dilution.

Which 5w30 did you go with. You think 5w20 should work?

5w30 is technically called for in other countries for the CX-5, so I think either will work.

Not sure about 5w20.

5w30 is technically called for in other countries for the CX-5, so I think either will work.

Not sure about 5w20.

In my case living in a hot environment, that "0" probably doesn't really apply. The last number the 20 vs 30 is the actual weight at operating engine temperature. In my case a 30 weight could provide more protection at the expense of being a tiny bit more thicker.

Got valvoline syn. In 5w30 though. This one

Should have got the high mileage version. Is dexos gen2 licensed so it meets certain specs

Don’t the additives have a shelf life though?

Conventional wisdom says "yes".
I'd like to see some evidence for either side of the argument.
It could be that they have a long shelf life, but start to "die" when in use.
It's most likely that different additives have different "life cycles".

Did my change and got my sample. I did forget to shake the oil jug before I poured it in. Oh well.

d9598e9dc027fe0df6afeddda9fc74b0.jpg

Did my change and got my sample. I did forget to shake the oil jug before I poured it in. Oh well.
Its 92F now and is going to 95F this afternoon here. Its too hot for me to do anything on cars! :)

If you didnt shake the oil, let the crankshaft stirs it good for you! (boom07)

(You emptied the whole 5-qt. jar and you won't have any additives left in there anyway.)

It’s 92F now and is going to 95F this afternoon here. It’s too hot for me to do anything on cars! :)

If you didn’t shake the oil, let the crankshaft stirs it good for you! (boom07)

(You emptied the whole 5-qt. jar and you won't have any additives left in there anyway.)
Yep, used the whole jug so I figured it would work out anyway lol.

Did oil change on Saturday.....but oem filter would not budge. Used my filter wrench cap and would not budge. (dealership installed really tight!!)

Had to put new oil in and just run with old filter....will do so for a couple thousand miles.

Did research and apparently oil filter "pliers" are the last filter removal tool you'll ever need. Purchased the next day.

eb9f0281-35d7-4a9c-a5d5-64e96a7d1389_1.05eb9f83b04845dd37594a39e78f2e6d.jpeg

Did oil change on Saturday.....but oem filter would not budge. Used my filter wrench cap and would not budge. (dealership installed really tight!!)

Had to put new oil in and just run with old filter....will do so for a couple thousand miles.

Did research and apparently oil filter "pliers" are the last filter removal tool you'll ever need. Purchased the next day.

I have a pair of those and I did have to use them on this oil change I did Saturday. Even though I tightened my last one by hand, apparently it was enough to not be able to loosen by hand this go around.

(Yes I oiled up the rubber gasket around the filter)

Those are exactly what I got at Walmart for $4.xx. It’s that first oil change that you need them. Doing the changes yourself eliminates the need. They worked like a charm for me as well.

Which oil brand did you go with?

I have a pair of those and I did have to use them on this oil change I did Saturday. Even though I tightened my last one by hand, apparently it was enough to not be able to loosen by hand this go around.

(Yes I oiled up the rubber gasket around the filter)

Those are exactly what I got at Walmart for $4.xx. It’s that first oil change that you need them. Doing the changes yourself eliminates the need. They worked like a charm for me as well.

Which oil brand did you go with?

I wished you guys would've warned me dammit!! LOL

The oem filter's black paint is stripped off a bit and is super smooth at this point. This tool will do the trick considering you guys had good luck.

Penzoil Platinum high mileage 0w20. I didn't know I purchased the high mileage version till' later.

Back