2017 speaker change - WARNING

:
2022 2.5GT
Somebody asked me how to get at the speakers on a KF 2017 on model. Ill attach the instructions on how to get at them but I thought its worth mentioning the following to anyone contemplating a speaker change.

The speaker fits into a large plastic module which is moulded and shaped to house various door bits. That module is actually a sealed plastic drum which has a pressure switch. The idea is, if something hits the side of the car with not enough force to trigger the side impact trembler switches, but enough to squash that plastic drum, the increase in pressure will cause the pressure switch to make contact and the airbag to deploy.

So! The moral of this story is that you can upgrade the speaker but unless you dont care about whether the secondary airbag protection works, you should not cut into that plastic housing or even use screws that are too long.

Attachments

• Door front trim.pdf
    872.5 KB · Views: 684
  • Door speaker.pdf
    369.4 KB · Views: 604
2017 speaker change - WARNING.

Thanks for the warning!

I do believe this post should belong to CX-5 Infotainment section. Hopefully Chris_Top_Her can agree with me and move it accordingly.

BTW Anchorman, since you have so many resources on CX-5's documents, I was wondering if you have schematic for non-Bose audio system/speakers on gen-2 CX-5? We're discussing some polarity issues on non-Bose speakers in this thread and really would like to see one. Thanks in advance!

I would have put money on me having both the KE and KF but it seems only the latter. I’ve posted it in the linked thread.

To be clear, you're referring to the inner panel that the speaker bolts to, and not the speaker / surround itself?

To be clear, you're referring to the inner panel that the speaker bolts to, and not the speaker / surround itself?

Err, the speaker on a 17 is recessed into a large moulded plastic panel. Cutting the back out or puncturing it would stop the pressure switch from working. Does that explain it?

do you have any info on the power output by the stock bose amp to the front speakers and pillar tweeters?

Hmm, this is about the best I can do.....

Attachments

• Ent Bose.pdf
    150.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Bose.pdf
    842.2 KB · Views: 400
  • Bose speakers.pdf
    330 KB · Views: 407

Hmm, this is about the best I can do.....
Anchorman can always provide us some valuable documents for our CX-5!

After reading those, I got confused about the speaker size info from Mazda. The first document is for gen-2 CX-5 Bose speakers; but it says the front door speakers are 23 cm / 9.1" which definitely is incorrect! It should be 16.5 cm / 6" based on the specs from Mazda Japan and the physical visual. The next two documents are for gen-1 CX-5 Bose. The speaker specs say there're two 6 cm / 2" "tweeters" in dash but in fact they're 8 cm / 3" mid-range Twiddlers!

I feel Mazda has done a sloppy job on documentation such as the examples above. There're obvious errors in our owner's manual such as the engine oil capacity、rear differential gear lubricant capacity、and bulb type on tail / brake lights.

thanks for the documents.

1 ohm speaker? That is insane. how can anyone put aftermarket speakers without an amp? You must be severely underpowering the average 4 ohm aftermarket speaker on the stock amp.

thanks for the documents.

1 ohm speaker? That is insane. how can anyone put aftermarket speakers without an amp? You must be severely underpowering the average 4 ohm aftermarket speaker on the stock amp.
Actually, as I pointed out previously, the 1Ω 23 cm / 9.1" front door speakers / woofers are gen-1 CX-5 specific used for bass only. I also have seen specs of 2.2Ω in other document. For gen-2 CX-5 Bose the front doors have 16.5 cm / 6" full-range speakers and the impedance should be a little less than 4Ω. In general, using aftermarket 4Ω 6" speaker for gen-2 or 4Ω 8"/10" woofer for gen-1 is fine with Bose amp based on many people's experience on gen-1 CX-5.

As for amp power the only info I've seen is from Mazda Australia:

mazda.com.au said:
Audio System Premium Bose� 249 watt amplifier and 10 speakers

Err, the speaker on a 17 is recessed into a large moulded plastic panel. Cutting the back out or puncturing it would stop the pressure switch from working. Does that explain it?

Sort of. It must be some sort of physical property then. I got my speakers installed this weekend and can confidently say there's no electronic sensor or switch on or near the speaker. The only connector is the speaker itself.

I retained the OEM mount by destroying the speaker. I cut it out and installed the new speaker in it's place. This consisted of cutting the cone out, cutting out the plastic supports which held the magnet / voice coil / spider and cutting the voice coil leads. I then unsoldered the voice coil leads from the OEM housing on the bracket and soldered on new leads with speaker connectors to connect to the new speakers.

The walls of the speaker mount are unchanged and it's pressure sealed with the rest of the door - which I took a good look at while I was in there due to this post. Pretty impressive, certainly not what it used to be. I used the factory wiring without snipping anything other than the speaker itself.

If anyone wants some references here's some pics

Old vs new speakers
121d5dh.jpg

301n4as.jpg

OEM speaker cut out of frame
2m3s8ki.jpg

Underside of frame after cleaning up and new speaker pigtails
9u65fl.jpg

Underside of new speaker installed in frame. Bead of silicone between speaker frame and modded car bracket (overkill, but for good measure)
2sb7cxj.jpg

Speaker installed and connected
34qodoy.jpg

For good measure, here's the whole inner door panel
16izevc.jpg

Thanks for the great walk thru. Impressive magnet on the new speaker!

⋯ I retained the OEM mount by destroying the speaker. I cut it out and installed the new speaker in it's place.

Old vs new speakers
121d5dh.jpg

301n4as.jpg
Thanks for posting your experience. So looks like there's no sensors/pressure switches telated to door speakers for side airbag, at least on non-Bose version. Do you have a close-up picture on the back side (magnet) of OEM speaker so that we can read the imprint on specs and part #?

OEM non-Bose 6" door speaker is a full-range dual-cone speaker and your new speaker is a "woofer". I hope you feel no loss on high notes for your hearing preference.

That will work because you didnt break the seal. The switch is near the top of the door so I think the red connector on your door. This photo is looking down on mine from above. The connector is one the left and the switch is on the right. I only know because the body shop left it disconnected on my red one causing the airbag light to come on. Ive also got a pdf for a cx-3 that shows the location. Not got one for a 5 that I can find.

6428_ABD1-6_E32-4_A19-_B459-_CAF9_FCC56_D82.jpg

Attachments

• Adaptive front lighting system.pdf
    148.3 KB · Views: 307
Here we are. Found one for the CX-5.

Ahh... this guy. I snapped a photo with the door open because it's all I could see. assumed it was the proximity key sensor though.

211nsyg.jpg

Either way... cool system

Last edited:
Back