Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 speaker change - WARNING

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

That will work because you didnít break the seal. The switch is near the top of the door so I think the red connector on your door. This photo is looking down on mine from above. The connector is one the left and the switch is on the right. I only know because the body shop left it disconnected on my red one causing the airbag light to come on. Iíve also got a pdf for a cx-3 that shows the location. Not got one for a 5 that I can find.

Attached Files Attached Files

Wrong pdf. Hang on.

Here we are. Found one for the CX-5.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

On the same note as above , do you plan to change the A pillar tweeters too!

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Here we are. Found one for the CX-5.
    Ahh... this guy. I snapped a photo with the door open because it's all I could see. assumed it was the proximity key sensor though.

Either way... cool system
    Last edited by Studum; 06-12-2018 at 01:07 AM. Reason: forgot to add photo

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Do you have a close-up picture on the back side (magnet) of OEM speaker so that we can read the imprint on specs and part #?

OEM non-Bose 6Ĺ" door speaker is a full-range dual-cone speaker and your new speaker is a "woofer". I hope you feel no loss on high notes for your hearing preference.
    No detailed pic - didn't care enough about it to take one. It says 25W 4Ohm made in Thailand.

In the OEM system with the tweeters the door speakers are full range, but the highs are handled by the OEM tweeter which is ran in parallel. Basically a cheap add on. In this configuration the highs are intended to be coming from the tweeter. Dual cone is the absolute cheapest you can get for a speaker and bare minimum in terms of performance.

I replaced the entire front speaker system with a component set - that being a pair of matched tweeters and woofers with a much higher quality and finely tuned crossover for the front speaker system.

I have lost no performance at all - just a drastic improvement. The new front speaker set has made a world of a difference, but this thread is about the pressure sensor in the doors and how the speaker works with that system. I posted my installation method as it retains the inner door seal just as good as OEM so as not to compromise the system which Anchorman has (thankfully) given us the heads up on.
    Last edited by Studum; 06-12-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
    On the same note as above , do you plan to change the A pillar tweeters too!
    Ditto. Where the crossover (come with your component speakers, not sure if it's a circuit board or just a capacitor) to be located?

I hope you can post a write-up with pictures you have in How-To section even just a repost. The info and pictures you provided are valuable and they'd be lost in later date if your posts stay under wrong topic.

BTW, thanks for the info on OEM non-Bose front door speaker.

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Studum View Post

this thread is about the pressure sensor in the doors and how the speaker works with that system. I posted my installation method as it retains the inner door seal just as good as OEM so as not to compromise the system which Anchorman has (thankfully) given us the heads up on.
    Agree with you fully. I used the original speaker plastic mounts/frame just the way you did. I even placed a circular rubber seal (the ones used for window sealing) between the new speaker and the original plastic frame/mount, making it air tight. So it does not worsen the air door card seal in any way. And that was before Anchorman came out with his warning. I was careful with the seal because I did not want to loose bas performance of the speakers. The sound improvement has been very rewarding.

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Ditto. Where the crossover (come with your component speakers, not sure if it's a circuit board or just a capacitor) to be located?

I hope you can post a write-up with pictures you have in How-To section even just a repost. The info and pictures you provided are valuable and they'd be lost in later date if your posts stay under wrong topic.

BTW, thanks for the info on OEM non-Bose front door speaker.
    When I get some time I will post all the pics I took in another thread.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeard View Post
    thanks for the documents.

1 ohm speaker? That is insane. how can anyone put aftermarket speakers without an amp? You must be severely underpowering the average 4 ohm aftermarket speaker on the stock amp.
    Unusual, but I wouldn't say insane. You would not want to install aftermarket speakers without an amp, because the Blose EQ is built into the amplifier. You would not want that with any speakers. Four ohm woofers would not get as much current (thus power) from the Blose amp as the 1 ohm speaker, but whether they got enough power would depend on their sensitivity.
    '06 MX-5 6MT, Custom Sprung Ohlins, Tomei LSD
    '16.5 CX-5 T AWD w/more Soul
    IBA/COG Desmoquattro for pleasure

Registered Member

CX 9

Hi Anchorman,
    I have a CX9 non-bose (2017) and have ordered new dash and front door speakers and Metra speakers adaptors and cables. I was going to send it to an audio shop to fits until I saw your warning.

1. Is the switch you are referring to part of the harness that connects to the speaker frame?

The installs I have seen have cut the cone out of the old speaker and droped the new speaker into the ďoriginalĒ mounting resulting in harness and speaker remaining unchanged.
    I was hoping to use a new Metra speaker adaptor and Metra Mazda connectors. Same size etc as original. The main difference and hence my concern is where the speaker wire connects to the speaker mounting plate. They may not be identical to original.

Many thanks

2016 Touring CX-5 w/ 2.0 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Studum View Post
    Ahh... this guy. I snapped a photo with the door open because it's all I could see. assumed it was the proximity key sensor though.

Either way... cool system
    What is the round piece next to it at the right?
    Great thread!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12