Hydraulic lifts for hood

Yes. I have a set of "MIT" struts I've been using for 4 years or more from the PRC. Good investment imo

Yes.

I installed a similar set on my '17 shortly after purchase last year.

This is a helpful, easily-installed mod that I've added to multiple vehicles over the years.

Is this so you don't have to use the little stand when you lift the hood?

I never cared much for these. (friday)

They add weight, they push upwards on the thin hood, sometimes bulging it or lifting it away from the fenders even in some applications, and eventually they fail and the hood falls down on you when you are relying on it. LOL

It would be a different story if these hoods were heavy, or if I needed to lift the hood up more often like some other cars. I will stick with the simple tried and true prop-rod.

They add weight, they push upwards on the thin hood, sometimes bulging it or lifting it away from the fenders even in some applications, and eventually they fail and the hood falls down on you when you are relying on it. LOL

It would be a different story if these hoods were heavy, or if I needed to lift the hood up more often like some other cars. I will stick with the simple tried and true prop-rod.

Actually hood struts are very common as OEM equipment in Japan whereas the USDM model will have a hood prop. Even with mine 1 strut will hold the hood as you will find during install.

Actually hood struts are very common as OEM equipment in Japan whereas the USDM model will have a hood prop. Even with mine 1 strut will hold the hood as you will find during install.

My GM/Holden Calais had struts but 3, 6 & CX-5 just have the hood prop

Well that is nice to hear! There might even be hardware mounting locations already provided on the USDM then?

The CX-5 hood is heavier than any other I have ever owned.
The struts are very light weight.
When they fail it's usually gradual, and if you don't trust them, use the prop as backup.
And they're inexpensive, to boot. I would install them if I wasn't in a lease.

CX-5 hood feels the same as the 6 to me. Yes a bit heavy but nothing I can't deal with. But for rev is it might be too heavy and therefore struts might be beneficial to them.

For my part, I don't like how the rod holds up the hood. I am always a little concerned i may knock it out of the way when I am filling up the windshield reservoir. That and I just like the look of the additional lifts.

For my part, I don't like how the rod holds up the hood. I am always a little concerned i may knock it out of the way when I am filling up the windshield reservoir. That and I just like the look of the additional lifts.

Generally speaking if the rod fits properly into the slot, there won't be an issue. Even gentle taps of the rod should still keep it in its place

This is one thing that I miss in my CX-5. BMW E91 had double struts to lift the hood and it never failed. Please some one write a DIY with pictures so that we can gain from your experience.

You need them on German cars for frequent access (incoming). I go under mine most weekends because I use loads of screenwash and to get a kick out of my oil not moving. I’m 60 next month and still able to lift the bonnet so I’ll report back in five years in case something has changed. I’ll probably be on my 7th CX-5 by then, knowing my luck.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 290
Back