2018 Mazda CX-5 | OPEN/CLOSE windows/mirrors with FACTORY REMOTE

My 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon came from the factory with this feature. It also opened/closed the sunroof and sunshade.

It's too bad that Mazda has taken this long to catch up.

I can open my 2013 Volvo windows remotely but oddly cannot shut them.
Oh, and it's too bad Mazdas only catching up now? Come on man. This is hardly a must have, first of all. Nowhere near.
I never use it. Crv do it? No. RAV4? No. Cherokee? No.
It's useless.

Last edited:
Wow, what a horrible video. So little info. I do like how it folds the mirrors in but again kind of useless. You generally need to fold them while you're parking.

Wow, what a horrible video. So little info. I do like how it folds the mirrors in but again kind of useless. You generally need to fold them while you're parking.
Mine folds when locking. Good way to know if the CX-5 is locking or not, if you miss hearing the beeping

Last edited:
(iagree) - would have been nice if there was a link to the parts used

Oh, and it's too bad Mazdas only catching up now? Come on man. This is hardly a must have, first of all. Nowhere near.
It's useless.

Sorry dude, but I have to disagree with you big time.
My 2002 Pathfinder has this feature, and my 2006 Altima, which I traded for my new 6, also had this feature.
I was majorly disappointed when I picked up my new car last fall, and found out it didn't have this feature.
I used it all the time.
I bitched to my sales rep, and even wrote a letter to Mazda Canada telling them to get with the program on this feature.

On a hot day, I like to be able to roll down the windows remotely before getting into the car.
Now I have to get into a boiling hot car (the Mazda anyway, not the Pathy), turn on the ignition and then roll down the windows to let the hot air escape. Very uncomfortable.
I also park my cars outside, and on a hot day I like to roll down the windows to keep the cars relatively cool.
I can do that from my living room with the Nissan, but not the Mazda. Arrgh.
As for shutting them, I can't do it with the remote, but all I have to do is put the key in the drivers door lock and turn and hold it (towards the lock position) to roll them up.
BTW, I can also roll the windows down that way. Key in door, twist and hold (towards unlock position), and they roll down.
No need to ever get in the car and turn on the ignition to raise or lower the windows. Love it.
Trust me. After 15 years of having this feature on my cars, I don't want to give it up.

No, the windows. My garage is tight....id love to have the mirrors. Pretty much only use the window thing to show people what it can do. LOL
Fact is, none of the Mazda competition has it either.
I certainly can understand someone who's had it on previous cars being annoyed that it doesn't have it, though.

Sorry dude, but I have to disagree with you big time.
My 2002 Pathfinder has this feature, and my 2006 Altima, which I traded for my new 6, also had this feature.
I was majorly disappointed when I picked up my new car last fall, and found out it didn't have this feature.
I used it all the time.
I bitched to my sales rep, and even wrote a letter to Mazda Canada telling them to get with the program on this feature.

On a hot day, I like to be able to roll down the windows remotely before getting into the car.
Now I have to get into a boiling hot car (the Mazda anyway, not the Pathy), turn on the ignition and then roll down the windows to let the hot air escape. Very uncomfortable.
I also park my cars outside, and on a hot day I like to roll down the windows to keep the cars relatively cool.
I can do that from my living room with the Nissan, but not the Mazda. Arrgh.
As for shutting them, I can't do it with the remote, but all I have to do is put the key in the drivers door lock and turn and hold it (towards the lock position) to roll them up.
BTW, I can also roll the windows down that way. Key in door, twist and hold (towards unlock position), and they roll down.
No need to ever get in the car and turn on the ignition to raise or lower the windows. Love it.
Trust me. After 15 years of having this feature on my cars, I don't want to give it up.

I had it on 2 Lexis, tested it, thought it was a great idea. In 10 years used it 3 times. I dont miss it.

I can open the sunroof and windows when i get to the car just as easily.

Would be a nice option to have.

Only thing I am not sure - is this an extra drain on the key fob/transponder battery (uhm)

It's useless.

Although opening/closing the windows and sunroof with a fob isn't a 'must have' it's certainly FAR from useless.

Here's what's useless. Parking your Mazda and thinking that you've closed all the windows and/or the sunroof. Then as you walk away from the car you notice that you didn't close the sunroof all the way. Now what do you have to do to close the damn thing? You have to walk back over to the car, open the door, get in and turn on the ignition. Now you can close the sunroof. Sure, this doesn't happen all the time but when it does it sure would be handy to close everything up with a press of the button on your fob right?

It's a minor annoyance but shouldn't a top of the line CX-5 have this convenience?

It sure is nice after parking in the sun on a hot day to have all the windows and sunroof open with a touch of a button before you even get to the car. Again, not a must have but it sure is nice to have!

Would be a nice option to have.

Only thing I am not sure - is this an extra drain on the key fob/transponder battery (uhm)

Well of course it's an extra drain on the fob battery. The more it's used the faster it drains. Fob batteries aren't that difficult to swap out when needed.

Well of course it's an extra drain on the fob battery. The more it's used the faster it drains. Fob batteries aren't that difficult to swap out when needed.
Yes but how much extra drain. Wouldn't like to regularly have to change the battery

Back