Friendly advice please.

:
Mazda P5
So I hit a snag, I just bought a MSP lip and I put 3m double sided tape on it, same as my wing but it's not staying flush around the bumper curve on both sides next to the fog light.
I've used lots of pressure to push them together they stayed until the following day I went out and its sticking out a bit. When I push them together again for approx 30 seconds and it stays together until I drive. Is there somethi g I'm doing wrong? I see everyone else's setup completely flush.
Is there like light glue or apoxy I should use?

I don't have the same setup as I used the STI S204 lip, but I secured it with screws every 4 inches or so.

Just in case you're not aware, there are self drilling screws and bolts available.
They work pretty slick.

It's mounted it's just not flush the 3m tape is like stuck between the two. I would use screws if it looked dope but it doesnt. I might just use light glue/ apoxy that I have here at the casa but I won't use screws.

don't use glue.

do yourself a favor and grab a hair dryer or a heat gun and heat up the double sided tape. THEN use regular painters tape to hold it onto the body until the heated 3m dries.

It's mounted it's just not flush the 3m tape is like stuck between the two. I would use screws if it looked dope but it doesnt. I might just use light glue/ apoxy that I have here at the casa but I won't use screws.

Before you applied the double-sided tape did you wipe down the area of the bumper and the lip with rubbing alcohol? Because if you don't do that first it is likely the tape won't adhere properly.

Yes I scrubbed both for about 10 minutes each too with soap then warm water let it dry them applied the 3m and it stuck great on the lip but after I applied the lip to the bumper and left it over night then put it on the next day drove and wound up with what you see in the pictures.

Use adhesive promoter. 3m makes some good stuff. clean both surfaces with alcohol really well. Then apply the adhesive promoter to both surfaces and stick it back on. The 3M tape will tear in half (the foam will separate) before the adhesive releases.

And use 3M VHB tape. It is a 3M tape specifically designed for automotive applications, particularly exterior applications. The foam compound in the tape resists the environmental wear better than the regular stuff.

That's a pretty big area, i'd get a 3 pack to be safe
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

And this is the tape I was referencing. Pricey but you won't find anything that holds better, particularly on stuff on the outside of a car.

Last edited:
I dunno, that fitment looks weird. I'd almost think about trimming a little bit of the lip.

Is that a '03.5 front end or some kind of lip like an Autoexe?

It's a MSP front lip on a 03 P5. It just sits around the edges of the fog lights weird, I will check out the suggested links I just something with great adhesive.

The MSP had a different front end, not just a lip. That's why I was asking. :) It's kinda hard to tell where exactly the camera is pointed in those pics.

Here's a '03.5 MSP front. The earlier cars shared front ends. P5 and MSP were identical.

images

Here's a pic of my old P5 with an AutoExe front lip. By the angle of your pics, I was thinking you may be installing one of these.

AutoExe1.jpg

Last edited:
And use 3M VHB tape. It is a 3M tape specifically designed for automotive applications, particularly exterior applications. The foam compound in the tape resists the environmental wear better than the regular stuff.

And this is the tape I was referencing. Pricey but you won't find anything that holds better, particularly on stuff on the outside of a car.

I agree. 3M VHB is much stronger than typical double-sided tape. It has a red liner, I believe.

I will try and take better pics. I did use 3m double sided tape. It for some reason doesn't want to stick in this one part.

Find and use the 3M VHB specifically. IT's designed for stuff like this.

And use adhesive promoter with it. Night and day difference in how well and how long the part sticks.

Mine fits up better even without the adhesive but I didn't put any because the lip is yellow and needs to be silver. Figured I'd address that after the bumper and lip turned silver. Crappy pic

needspaint_02.JPG

Latest posts

Back