Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

I still don't get a point of the key being required to LOCK. Forget unlocking or driving off with no key.
Close your trunk/boot. Do whatever else you need. But if there is no key around, and all doors are closed, the car must be shut.

Wish my other cars had this feature... correct me if I have forgotten a post but I don't remember the last time this feature failed me.

I still don't get a point of the key being required to LOCK. Forget unlocking or driving off with no key.
I don't know. Maybe because I don't want my car locked 100% of the time. Camping in the woods, no one around, I don't need it locked. I don't need my family asking me for the key every time they need something. Some times you just don't want your car locked.
Btw, CRV works exactly the same.

I don't know. Maybe because I don't want my car locked 100% of the time. Camping in the woods, no one around, I don't need it locked. I don't need my family asking me for the key every time they need something. Some times you just don't want your car locked.
Btw, CRV works exactly the same.
Well then, you keep your car unlocked. Many ways to do it. But the feature's name is auto-LOCK.

Last edited:
For some people it's a flawed design, to others it works as intended

Last edited:
Well then, you keep your car unlocked. Many ways to do it. But the feature's name is auto-LOCK.
I think we just stumbled on it.
That's probably EXACTLY why it does need the key. How else WOULD it work? Any time the doors are closed, it locks? So you unlock with the fob from a distance...it then airocks again because the doors are closed? Ok so let's program it to not auto lock when you use the fob....hmmm...that's going to cause more issues, I think. By gum, I think we've got it!

It's easier then that. After last door is closed with engine off, lock the whole thing. Key or no key on sight. You may give it few seconds. I just don't know what for.

Some people forget/are lazy to lock the door. Hence the auto-lock feature....

It's easier then that. After last door is closed with engine off, lock the whole thing. Key or no key on sight. You may give it few seconds. I just don't know what for.
My keys spend much of thier life here. Your method is going to screw me over frequently.
154dca672390e5ec86a150122c434df0.jpg

I hate hate hate having things in my pocket, especially in the summer wearing shorts. I bet I'm not alone here.
I've left the Volvo key in her car countless times. Drives her MAD. LOL Only a few times in my car because I've had years of practice on the Volvo.
(Edit) ok...more then a few. :Blush:

My keys spend much of thier life here. Your method is going to screw me over frequently

No, because there's key in sight. Pay attention. So it is not going to auto-lock. Besides, does your key inside the car mean that you never lock it?

My keys spend much of thier life here. Your method is going to screw me over frequently

No, because there's key in sight. Pay attention. So it is not going to auto-lock. Besides, does your key inside the car mean that you never lock it?
Ok, wife. [emoji1]

All it takes is one time for my car to lock the keys inside and I'm pissed at Mazda. What's going to piss off more people yugrus? Coming back to find you car unlocked, or locking your keys inside? Car companies have for years now figured out ways for us to stop locking our keys in our cars. My last 4 cars made it impossible to do so. I'd much rather have that feature then your locked keys in the car feature. After this discussion led us to the light of why nearly all car companies require your key on you for auto lock.... This is exactly how it should work.
/Edit/ Checking other brands. Crv uses your key. RAV4 calls it Smart Key. Tesla does it, too.

Last edited:
Where did I say to lock keys inside? It takes some effort to do that, and I'm fine with this. What does it have to do with locking doors with no key in range thought?

You want the doors to lock automatically, right? After, I presume, a set time? So if I forget my keys in the car...
I'm joking calling it a feature.

I haven't tried this yet but afaik you can't lock the CX-5 from the outside without having a key fob/transponder with you

No, that's not what I suggested. The car has to lock itself after the last door is shut with no fob in range. Perhaps after a programmable delay, but I'm not sure what would that be for beyond 15 seconds or so.

By "no fob in range" I mean not within the ignition range. The car, as it is, is quite capable to know whether the fob is inside the car or outside. So, no fob inside the car- lock it down when operator shuts the last door, if auto-lock is activated. Usual beep provided.
You can wash and clean your car with the fob in the tray. Or by de-activating the feature. Or leaving one of the doors crack-open. Child seat- same deal, you'd have enough time to open rear door after you shut yours. If you can't make it in time allotted by the delay, unlock the car in the usual manner, door button or fob.
If it annoys you, turn it off.
But to require the fob to be within the narrow "outside" range to activate the lock is preposterous this day and age...

Back