Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

For me, I think the problem is when I get out of the car, I walk right towards my home (I park on a city street). The car door probably doesn't fully close until I'm 5ft away or so, thus it doesn't lock.

How do you wind up 5 feet from the car by the time the door closes? Do you leap away from it? What's your door closing "technique"? It sounds like you walk away and then somehow close the door.

Mine works no matter which direction I walk away. But I do close it first, and then walk away.

Hover for a bit next to the CX-5 after shutting door(s) then walk away.

LMAO. Yea, I just did this. Went outside opened door. Pushed door closed and ran away at top speed. Yea, worked perfectly. I don't get why people are having issues with this. [emoji39]

AT TOP SPEED.
So this thread now has me paying hyper attention to this feature now. Sigh.
Got out of the cat yesterday. Right next to wear I got out I see some weeds growing in the driveway next to the house. Close my door, pulling weeds. Wife and kid still getting out of car. He gets out and closes the door 2nd. Weeds are pulled, I stand up. Wife closes door. BEEP. We all walk away. BEEP BEEP.
I was actually surprised it worked so well that time haha

I swear my walk-away lock only works half the time. So often I head to my car in the morning to find it unlocked. It works enough to make it habit for me to walk away from it and expect it to lock, but then doesn't always work. I'm not sure how that even happens. If the Fob is away from the car, it should lock right? I asked the dealer and they said I'm walking away from the car too fast? I have no idea what that would have to do with anything.

Is this just a poorly executed feature or is mine faulty?

if i walk away too fast, like if i shut the car off, open the door, and hop out fast it doesn't auto lock. i always listen for the beep though

LMAO. Yea, I just did this. Went outside opened door. Pushed door closed and ran away at top speed. Yea, worked perfectly. I don't get why people are having issues with this. [emoji39]

it doesn't work like that, you have to shut the car off, open the door, and run out, all in a rather quick motion

The walk away feature has NEVER failed me or my wife, EVER. The trick is to keep the batteries in the remote well juiced.

AT TOP SPEED.
So this thread now has me paying hyper attention to this feature now. Sigh.
Got out of the cat yesterday. Right next to wear I got out I see some weeds growing in the driveway next to the house. Close my door, pulling weeds. Wife and kid still getting out of car. He gets out and closes the door 2nd. Weeds are pulled, I stand up. Wife closes door. BEEP. We all walk away. BEEP BEEP.
I was actually surprised it worked so well that time haha

What weed?(attn)

The walk away feature has NEVER failed me or my wife, EVER. The trick is to keep the batteries in the remote well juiced.
Ummm.. this only plays a small part. If you have the tailgate open for quite sometime, close it and at the same time walk away, it won't engage

Ummm.. this only plays a small part. If you have the tailgate open for quite sometime, close it and at the same time walk away, it won't engage

Depends. If my car's already locked and if I come near the tailgate - I am able to open it, while remaining doors remain locked. Once I close tail gate and walk away, there's no chirp since the car's technically locked.

2nd. case: door ajar, tail gate ajar. I close the doors keep tail gate open, assume 10 min. Then when I lower the tail gate and walk away, I do hear the 2 chirps - 1 and then the other.

Depends. If my car's already locked and if I come near the tailgate - I am able to open it, while remaining doors remain locked. Once I close tail gate and walk away, there's no chirp since the car's technically locked.

2nd. case: door ajar, tail gate ajar. I close the doors keep tail gate open, assume 10 min. Then when I lower the tail gate and walk away, I do hear the 2 chirps - 1 and then the other.
I agree with being able to unlock the tailgate when the rest of the CX-5 is locked

I do think this is an issue and happens to me at least once a week. No one else in the car and I can't repeat it on demand for the dealer so of course nothing changes. Sadly, one of the times this happened my vehicle was broken into (not really broken, they just opened the door) and stole my sunglasses which were in the sunglass holder!

I try to pay attention to the beep and have turned it up to the loudest setting but the habit of getting out and not thinking about it is hard to break but that's how I now know it happens often. I would say 10-20% of the time. I think it has to do with leaving the door TOO FAST turning away from it as you leave but can't quite recreate it on demand.

I think turning the feature off and using the button might be the best bet - sad though because then that's just a feature not being used.

You don't have to turn it off, just press the button on any door or the button on the tailgate to lock it.

I realize now that if I walk around the rear of the vehicle rather than the front, it won't auto-lock on me before I've reached the other door.

I do think this is an issue and happens to me at least once a week. No one else in the car and I can't repeat it on demand for the dealer so of course nothing changes. Sadly, one of the times this happened my vehicle was broken into (not really broken, they just opened the door) and stole my sunglasses which were in the sunglass holder!

I try to pay attention to the beep and have turned it up to the loudest setting but the habit of getting out and not thinking about it is hard to break but that's how I now know it happens often. I would say 10-20% of the time. I think it has to do with leaving the door TOO FAST turning away from it as you leave but can't quite recreate it on demand.

I think turning the feature off and using the button might be the best bet - sad though because then that's just a feature not being used.

I use it. Set the prefs so that all doors lock/ unlock with a press. One beep and the side mirror leds blink for confirmation.

I have no second thoughts if the car didn’t lock or whatever. If the car beeps three times then there is a door ajar somewhere and we have had this happen a couple of times.

In our area car theft and vandalism is rampant. I take no chances.

I realize now that if I walk around the rear of the vehicle rather than the front, it won't auto-lock on me before I've reached the other door.
As I said earlier I have been paying hyper attention to this. I'm not experiencing any issues like some of you. Maybe something changed on the 2nd gen?
Parked car. Opened my door. Walked around the back, car beeped once. Opened rear passenger door to get slow poke out. Shut the door. Beep. Walk away, beep beep.
Unlocked car with fob. Open tail gate. Close it. Beep. Beep Beep.

Last edited:
Back