Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

No, I'm talking about the case when my wife and I approach the car at the same time, with both having keys. She unlocks passenger door a second before I press my unlock button. I don't hear "her" beep because it's noisy outside. When I hit my door button the car yells at me with series of beeps, like I'm stealing something. Why? All doors are already unlocked. Just ignore my button. Beats me.

Last edited:
No, I'm talking about the case when my wife and I approach the car at the same time, with both having keys. She unlocks passenger door a second before I press my unlock button. I don't hear "her" beep because it's noisy outside. When I hit my door button the car yells at me. Why? Beats me.

I think the vehicle is getting confused as to which key is the "primary key" in that case.

How does this matter for unlocking doors? Regardless, it has no confusion starting up...

I don't know how but I wouldn't put it passed it.

My second key at this time is always at home so I have not encountered your issue.

I don't know how but I wouldn't put it passed it.

Not sure what you mean, but a good design should save the user from themselves, always. I can speculate how things got confusing at the use - case stage of development, then there was no time to update the project after integration.

What I am saying is I don't know the full parameters of how the system works but it may be plausible that having the second key in the same visinity might be causing your issue.

Anyways probably best for Mazda to answer these questions :)

Yea, that's what's going on. It's letting him know it's already unlocked.

Yea, that's what's going on. It's letting him know it's already unlocked.
What's the purpose of such intrusive reminder then? With two keys present, the system should proceed as normal- giving me one usual beep, and not even bother re-unlocking, because the door already is.
Small things, I realize. That add up to the overall "rough-edged system" perception.

What's the purpose of such intrusive reminder then? With two keys present, the system should proceed as normal- giving me one usual beep, and not even bother re-unlocking, because the door already is.
Small things, I realize. That add up to the overall "rough-edged system" perception.

If she unlocked it, and you hit your door button, it thinks you're trying to lock it. It can't read your mind.

If she unlocked it, and you hit your door button, it thinks you're trying to lock it. It can't read your mind.
Not if there is second key present, especially if it has just being used to unlock all doors. In this case it should leave everything as is- neither lock, nor unlock, as it does. But to give warning like that is unnecessary. The usual unlock beep is just fine.

I think that would add too much complexity (any time a door is unlocked check for the presence of a 2nd key) for little gain (the 5% of people that usually have 2 keys present).

Having 2 keys present may also present another issue - memory seats. The CX-5 wouldn't know which setting to switch to.

@ yugrus.

Really? Carrying two key fobs to the car, you and the wife pressing the door buttons almost simultaneously, but not hearing beeps because it's too noisy where you are,
and then whining and complaining because your car can't read your mind and won't do exactly what you want it to do, and blaming the programmers for it. Wow.
If you're so smart, and you seem to have all the answers, including mind reading software for the locking/unlocking system, then I suggest you apply for a job at Mazda and straighten those idiots out.

6pnvrb.jpg

@ yugrus.

Really? Carrying two key fobs to the car, you and the wife pressing the door buttons almost simultaneously, but not hearing beeps because it's too noisy where you are,
and then whining and complaining because your car can't read your mind and won't do exactly what you want it to do, and blaming the programmers for it. Wow.
If you're so smart, and you seem to have all the answers, including mind reading software for the locking/unlocking system, then I suggest you apply for a job at Mazda and straighten those idiots out.
Dude, did you have anything to say or?...

Well this thread got weird.

I guess to me I don't understand why, if there is no key in the car, or NEAR the car, the car wouldn't auto-lock. I understand the quirks of the passenger door being open, or the trunk, but after 30s of no key being anywhere near the car, wouldn't it assume it's good to lock itself?

For me, I think the problem is when I get out of the car, I walk right towards my home (I park on a city street). The car door probably doesn't fully close until I'm 5ft away or so, thus it doesn't lock. I just don't understand the logic of that. The key isn't near the car, the doors are closed. Lock the car! The idea that I need to stand next to my car for a second and THEN go inside tells me the feature is flawed. Someone mentioned it in this thread, if you have to change your natural habits of 'walking away' from a car so that 'walk away lock' works... then it's not a good design.

Are you running away from your car? lol Close the door, then walk away... Maybe because that's what I already did, I don't need "training".
Yea, it did get weird. lol But most of us don't have issues with this feature and we didn't need to train ourselves. I never have an issue when I am alone. The only times is when someone else (my slow poke kid) is involved.

I guess to me I don't understand why, if there is no key in the car, or NEAR the car, the car wouldn't auto-lock. I understand the quirks of the passenger door being open, or the trunk, but after 30s of no key being anywhere near the car, wouldn't it assume it's good to lock itself?

For me, I think the problem is when I get out of the car, I walk right towards my home (I park on a city street). The car door probably doesn't fully close until I'm 5ft away or so, thus it doesn't lock. I just don't understand the logic of that. The key isn't near the car, the doors are closed. Lock the car! The idea that I need to stand next to my car for a second and THEN go inside tells me the feature is flawed. Someone mentioned it in this thread, if you have to change your natural habits of 'walking away' from a car so that 'walk away lock' works... then it's not a good design.

I have seen some cars autolock after 5 mins of no activity and doors closed. I tried it on yota products - i just sat inside by removing key and doors were closed. It locked itself in 5 mins. I like that feature.

Due to google being smart - I am getting Amazon ads for How to Walk Away - a novel by Katherine Center. This is not related to the thread subject lol.

The tailgate being open for a considerable amount of time basically over-rides the auto-lock feature. Have tested this myself.

Back