Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

I have figured out the logic of this feature. If I get out and walk away directly away in the complete opposite direction it will not auto-lock.
If I walk nearer the front or back of the vehicle if will always auto-lock.
I have to be mindful how I exit the car even if it does not seem the easiest choice.

I have figured out the logic of this feature. If I get out and walk away directly away in the complete opposite direction it will not auto-lock.
If I walk nearer the front or back of the vehicle if will always auto-lock.
I have to be mindful how I exit the car even if it does not seem the easiest choice.

You need to hover around it (a little bit away) for a few seconds for the first beep then move completely away for the second beep(s) which then locks it. Should not be direction dependent.

Mine works 100% of the time... as in there has been no technical issues but sometimes user issues. Sometimes a passenger hasn't closed the door and I started walking away from the door. Always listen for the first beep.

I always wonder what is the use case for the "passenger exits late and the car doesn't auto-lock" feature? Or the"trunk closes last and the car doesn't lock". Or "moving away too fast". Or "closing driver's door and running around the car to the already locked passenger door". Or should we call it just a poor design?

I always wonder what is the use case for the "passenger exits late and the car doesn't auto-lock" feature? Or the"trunk closes last and the car doesn't lock". Or "moving away too fast". Or "closing driver's door and running around the car to the already locked passenger door". Or should we call it just a poor design?

Don't think it's poor design.

I think there are exceptions listed in the manual that lists what works and what doesn't. (Don't have the manual on me at this stage to confirm/check)

I understand there's the manual, and you can trust that I thoroughly went through it as soon as we brought a car back home. But does the logic described there makes sense to you? Many things work against human logic, as is evident from this thread and others. So how good is design if you have to train yourself to follow it? If you needed manual to use your iPhone, how much less would I have being up on my Apple shares?

Last edited:
Not everything does make sense, I have to say.

The design is good but not everything is infallible including this.

In my case, works almost all of the time (I'd say 95%) but when it doesn't, I just have to press 1 of the 3 buttons on the CX-5 to lock it.

Also glad for folding mirrors which for me provide one more indicator to let me know if it's locked or not.

I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill. I haven't trained myself. I simply pay attention when I get out of the car.

I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill. I haven't trained myself. I simply pay attention when I get out of the car.

Well it’s called walk away and lock. Not get out, stand still, hear audible beep, walk certain direction and speed. Hear 2nd beep.

I don't do that. I walk away and it locks. If someone, like my 7 year old, is too slow to get out I wait for him. This is not an inconvenience.

Not everything does make sense, I have to say.

The design is good but not everything is infallible including this.

In my case, works almost all of the time (I'd say 95%) but when it doesn't, I just have to press 1 of the 3 buttons on the CX-5 to lock it.

Also glad for folding mirrors which for me provide one more indicator to let me know if it's locked or not.

You are lucky to have the folding side mirrors.

Yep. This.

Read the manual closely. Basically you have to be within a couple feet of one of the door lock sensors with the key at the time that all doors are closed. If you have others with you and their door isn't closed yet before you leave the zone, it won't work. It's a PIA but it works 100% of the time for me when I follow the rules of how it works. Listen for the beeps. One that it's initialized and one as you walk away saying that it locked.

Thanks for pointing this out. I too noticed that the car does not lock if you get out, then you open and close the rear hatch. It's a pain to have walkaway lock, and still have to reach for the remote after opening the hatch.

If you have been in the trunk , You do not need the remote to lock the car there is a button on the back hatch outside called lock request button. Press this button on the hatch and doors will lock.

If you have been in the trunk , You do not need the remote to lock the car there is a button on the back hatch outside called lock request button. Press this button on the hatch and doors will lock.

Use this all the time

As stated previously, I use this all the time and love the feature. I'm pretty used to its quirks now but definitely agree that some things are strange. Best explanation I can give is that it needs all the doors closed so it can sense a key OUTSIDE the car and not auto-lock you out with your keys in the car. If you still have a door open and can leave a key inside, it doesn't auto-lock.

Well, it is clear that it shouldn't auto-lock if it senses the key. Inside or outside. And it should auto-lock when all the doors are closed and there's no key in sight. Why invent all there weird "ifs"? And with additional button on the trunk to request the lock, what kind of auto-lock are we talking about here? May as well use door buttons all around and save the dough. Or make the doors locked no matter what if the doors and hatch are closed and the key is not in range.
And make doors and hutch work together, not like they are independent entities.
And what's with a series of beeps when you press the door button to unlock if somebody has already unlocked their on the other side...
There's no excuse for the lack of thought in this design. It seems Mazda went too far outsourcing electronics, to the point of extremely lose projects integration where sub-systems don't talk to each other. Good thing they kept mechanical side in house.

Last edited:
And what's with a series of beeps when you press the door button to unlock if somebody has already unlocked their on the other side...

Are you saying that if someone has unlocked the car from the otherside, you can't get in on your side unless you press your button (uhm)

If so, I have not encountered this. Have pressed the unlock button on the passenger side and whilst they have entered the vehicle and closed the door and I am moving around to the drivers door, yes it beeps once to begin the stages of arming the lock but the my door is still unlocked so I can enter without pressing the button.

Back