Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

So what I'm gathering here is that perhaps my car actually is faulty? I was being generous saying maybe I was 5ft away when closing the door (The length of my arm + a wide open door being pushed closed). Just 10mins ago I got out to go to grab a coffee up the street. Just me, no tailgate, no passengers. Came back and the door was unlocked. Probably happens to me 50% of the time. I might try to replace the battery and see if that improves it, but I've noticed this since day 1 (Car is only 9mo old).

Still confuses me how it is programmed to not work. After 30s it should lock. I just can't understand how that is not part of the feature. I live in the city and undoubtedly it's a matter of time before anything of value in my car will be gone.

Can you not listen for the beeps? Hearing disability perhaps? 99 times out of 100 I hears beeps. The one time I pull out the FOB and hit lock.

This is not hard. I usually don’t wear my hearing aids and have no problem.

I'm saying it's not. There could be a reason it works so poorly on his. [emoji12]

To be absolutely sure it’s locked, skip the auto lock setting. Use the button on the drivers door. One push locks everything. One beep, side lights on mirrors flash, it’s done.

I would not wait to lose something from your car.

To be absolutely sure it’s locked, skip the auto lock setting. Use the button on the drivers door. One push locks everything. One beep, side lights on mirrors flash, it’s done.

I would not wait to lose something from your car.

Or the button on the tailgate :)

Last edited:
So what I'm gathering here is that perhaps my car actually is faulty?

You're right: yours is definitely not up to snuff.

You should have the dealer look at it... and good luck with that!

FWIW Here is a video of it happening. This happens to me A LOT. Was nice to see someone throw their keys away from the car to 'prove' it can't happen though...

https://youtu.be/9vo9eWSQ6-k

Video looks like I'm going faster than I actually am due to the front-facing camera being a wide-angle

When you shut the door, you need to be closer than you are before it arms. Once it does arm and you walk away, it will auto lock

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong especially since the way you described getting out of the car wasn't remotely easy to understand. I was just showing how well it does work. Your video helped a lot. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get out of a car like that. That's kind of wierd.
[emoji16]
I did exactly that just now getting out of my car and my car did not lock either. If that's how you regularly exit your vehicle, you're just out of luck I think. So yea, you need to "relearn" exiting your vehicle or just turn the feature off.

Last edited:
Which means hover around the CX-5 for a few seconds after shutting the door so the first "chirp/beep" is heard meaning it is being armed. Then walk/jog/run away and the second "chirp/beep" will happen and the CX-5 is now locked.

I'm actually doing the above even when using the tailgate and I can say 99.9% of the time, auto lock works as intended.

You can't do that with the tailgate. Sit in there, hop out, and slam it closed with a backhand?

You can't do that with the tailgate. Sit in there, hop out, and slam it closed with a backhand?

Yes you can.

When you hit the button to shut the tailgate, just stay next to the CX-5 until it is shut and it will then do the first chirp/beep. Then do as described above.

Note - this is for KF/KG model with power tailgate

No...you can't do "that move" that dldude does when he exits his vehicle is what I mean.

Need a better explanation of 'that move'. I get out, and close the door with my right hand as I'm walking away from my car. All in one motion.

Still defies logic to me that that alone prevents a system, whose purpose is to lock the door when you're away from the car, from working. If i'm gone I'm gone! It's very "Apple" logic to say "Well you need to stand by the car for 1-2s and wait for it to lock". Sort of like when the iPhone antenna was easily covered by your hand Apple came out said said "Well you need to hold it differently". In my opinion it's a bad design if someone's normal (Guys, I'm not SPRINTING away from my car, I'm just getting out and closing the door in one swift motion) actions cause what should be a simple function not to work

That's definitely 'a move'. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get out of a car that way, which is why I am even commenting on it. It's like you're trying to look 'cool'.... not saying that's why you do it but I gotta' admit... it IS kind of cool. hahaha :p
You step out and don't even look back and throw the door closed? Most people at least IME, get out of the car and close the door while facing at and / or at least looking at, the car.

And this is why I don't design products for the masses... there's always a few people that do things differently that somehow screw up your plans. lol

I also just confirmed what you're saying, dldude. If you're more than two paces away from the car before you get the first beep confirming that all doors are closed, it doesn't lock.

I never noticed because I usually close the door before walking toward the back of the car, staying within range long enough.

And lo and behold, it's documented in the manual [US 2017, p. 3-16]

(Auto-lock function)
 A beep sound is heard when all doors
and the liftgate are closed while the
advanced key is being carried. All doors
and the liftgate are locked automatically
after about three seconds when the
advanced key is out of the operational
range. Also, the hazard warning lights
flash once. (Even if the driver is in the
operational range, all doors and the
liftgate are locked automatically after
about 30 seconds.) If you are out of
the operational range before the doors
and the liftgate are completely closed
or another key is left in the vehicle, the
auto-lock function will not work.

You need to be "in the zone" [only 31 inches!!] until the door closes. You've got a legitimate complaint. There's nothing unusual about what you're doing. But they must have had some rationale for designing it that way.

So it may be a poorly designed system in that one respect, and worthy of a complaint, but you have plenty of workarounds.

Now that that's settled, you can either slow down or use your key. I know, it sucks. :)

Back